Draining a pool?

We are installing a new coating in a pool. We need to drain it. I've heard of pools raising out of the ground if you drain them. Anyone on here knowledgeable on this subject?

Replies

• kajokajo Posts: 4,619 Moderator
    Ken (madashell) should respond soon. He was a pool builder.

I know you can hydraulic a pool so you want to drain it pretty far away for sure.
    julington creek carpet care

www.jccarpetcare.com
  • Anonymous3Anonymous3 Posts: 5,987 Officer
    Madashell is Ken ??? Who woulda thunk it ! :)
  • madashellmadashell Posts: 816 Officer
    Yes, your pool can float and do alot of damage. You need to find out where the water table is. Your risk is greater the deeper your pool is. If its a standard 6ft depth, your pretty safe. It takes a high water table to raise a concrete pool. Take some post hole diggers and start digging at the deep end area of pool just outside the deck area. If you start hitting water at 2/3 feet, you need well points set. If you dont hit water till 4/5 feet, your safe, assuming a pool depth of 6ft. If your pool is 8ft, theres water down there unless your up on a sand hill. Ive built pools all over the four surrounding counties and know the soil pretty good. Let me know what part of town your in and the depth of your pool and I can give you a better idea. Hope this helps.
    I will hit the lottery...I will hit the lottery :crossed
    Madashell is Ken ??? Who woulda thunk it ! :)

As Gomer would say, surprise surprise. I couldnt figure out how to get my old name Poolbiz configured when the site went through its transformation. :thumbsup
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,293 Admiral
    If you are high and dry and getting as little rain as we are in central Fl you should be fine. There is a plug under the drain cover. As soon as the water is low enough unscrew the drain cover and take out the plug. Then get a long screwdriver and loosen up ground under the plug. If water doesn't come up you are safe if it shoots up you'll be wishing you had a licensed pool contractor with insurance do it.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
    I never used those hydrostatic relief valves, and certainly not in a 6ft pool. They were notorious for leaking. We used float cones set in the concrete that had a weighted cap with oring that set on top flush with floor of pool. The valves are common in older deeper pools. Some companies Im sure do use them today. Its a personal preference.

Why not let the company who is refinishing the interior assume the liabilty? You should not have to do it. Please dont use someone unlicensed.
  • pilingjunkypilingjunky Posts: 2,044 Officer
    EDIT: I need a licensed, insured pool guy to drain a pool for me. The homeowner/affiliate actually insists on it. I thought he was just being over cautious. Thank guys for the input.
    Ken, are you still in the business? Call me 294-2173 - Steve Michals (Joey's brother). Or please refer me to someone. We're ready to go.
  • paddlejaxpaddlejax Posts: 229 Officer
    Call azure pools, ask for Dale the owner, he should be able to help you. Great guy and fisherman, I worked for him in college. 993-6568

Sent from my LG-MS910 using Tapatalk 2
    Hey man. Ok, Ill call ya tomorrow.
  • kajokajo Posts: 4,619 Moderator
    ken is awesome..he has been doing pools for many many many years and knows his stuff for sure.
    julington creek carpet care

www.jccarpetcare.com