Skip to main content
Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Well Pump Pressure?

plumbbobplumbbob Senior MemberPosts: 791 Officer
My well pump pressure kicks on at 35 lbs and kicks off at 50lbs.
Is that right? Should it kick off at 55lbs? Or, kick on at 30lbs and kick off at 50lbs? Seems like 35 to 50 isn't enough range. Pressure adjustment? Two stem, springs. Which one, up or down??

Replies

• capt roncapt ron Senior Member Magnolia BluffPosts: 137 Deckhand
    What is your pressure switch rated at? Adjust it up some if the switch will handle it. Did you change out your sediment filter? That can make a big difference at the house.
  • Justins DadJustins Dad Senior Member Posts: 3,247 Officer
    I set my pump to 60/40. On my switch, the "middle" stem adjusts the cut-on AND cut-off pressures. The stem on the "right" adjusts only the cut-off pressure. Turn them clockwise to raise pressure.
  • JTRJTR Senior Member TallahasseePosts: 1,188 Officer
    I set my pump to 60/40. On my switch, the "middle" stem adjusts the cut-on AND cut-off pressures. The stem on the "right" adjusts only the cut-off pressure. Turn them clockwise to raise pressure.

X2 :thumbsup
  • plumbbobplumbbob Senior Member Posts: 791 Officer
    I learned a little bit from some experts on this topic today. There is a tall and short adjustment. Those that replied knew that. The tall one as mentioned above does the cutting on and off. Factory set at a 20lb. differential. Mine, is only 15lbs. Both said it is probably the gauge. The other, the shorter of the two, I was told not to mess with. It sets the differential and, could mess up everything. I was also told, not to raise the pressure. It makes the pump run harder and shortens it's life. I'm just relaying what I was told.
  • Justins DadJustins Dad Senior Member Posts: 3,247 Officer
    Very interesting. I am a LONG, LONG, LONG way from being an expert, but it seems to me that the lower pressure setting forces the pump to cycle much more frequently. And, I believe the electrical and mechanical costs of more frequent pump starts take a greater toll than longer run times.
    plumbbob wrote: »
    I learned a little bit from some experts on this topic today. There is a tall and short adjustment. Those that replied knew that. The tall one as mentioned above does the cutting on and off. Factory set at a 20lb. differential. Mine, is only 15lbs. Both said it is probably the gauge. The other, the shorter of the two, I was told not to mess with. It sets the differential and, could mess up everything. I was also told, not to raise the pressure. It makes the pump run harder and shortens it's life. I'm just relaying what I was told.
  • charlie tunacharlie tuna Senior Member Posts: 730 Officer
    Something to keep in mind when talking about "well pumps". A few years ago, they came out with valve that gets installed on the discharge side of the pressure tank. It's function is to prevent your pressure switch from seeing drops in pressure from sudden valve openings in your system, like someone opening a spray nozzle on a hose, or someone opening a valve wide open. This valve costs about twenty bucks. It reduces the number of "pump starts" by almost 50 percent and insures that your pump is always starting at a low(setpoint) discharge pressure, which means a low starting current. Many pump manufacturers will double the warentee when these are installed because they know they protect the pump motor. Of course they also save you in power consumption.