Mayport Jetties

I hit the jetties today and fished with mullet on the bottom. I ended up with a couple sharks. A few unknowns that spooled us and a 27" Red. There was something really big down there but appearantly my leader was not strong enough.

Replies

• saltygator11saltygator11 Posts: 131 Deckhand
    Can't complain once she's been seared and blackened
  • cambosoup99cambosoup99 Posts: 286 Deckhand
    yummy..
  • reelhookerreelhooker Posts: 644 Officer
    Haha, that's exactly what I was thinking.
  • THROWING STONESTHROWING STONES Posts: 197 Officer
    nice
  • Brother DaveBrother Dave Posts: 595 Officer
    the unknowns were probably big rays....you can't turn one in a heavy current
    That's what I thought one of them were for sure. The other was head shaking quite a bit but before I could get the anchor up he found a pile of rocks in the deep water and wrapped it and cut my leader. I keep telling myself that it was a giant drum so I get motivated to go back out.
  • arunramarunram Posts: 1,628 Captain
    Good Job! There are monster rays down there. Can't go wrong with live mullet on the bottom in the inlet next to a drop-off. You will get constant action.

If you wanted a large drum, you are better of soaking a crab-clam sandwich. Drum harldy eat fish.

Crab-Clam-Tog-Sandwich-300x225.jpg

Arun.
    Thanks for the tip Arun. I will take any advice you have to offer. You are one of my go to guys on here when it comes to taking advice and tips from. How is the gheenoe project coming along? Have you finished it up?
  • arunramarunram Posts: 1,628 Captain
    reelhooker wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip Arun. I will take any advice you have to offer. You are one of my go to guys on here when it comes to taking advice and tips from. How is the gheenoe project coming along? Have you finished it up?

You are very welcome my friend. My nucanoe project is over and have been fishing with it very regularly. I'm getting spoiled with the trolling motor and have not been paddling at all!

Arun.
  • TROUTLOOKOUTTROUTLOOKOUT Posts: 108 Officer
    hahaha why paddle Arun? why paddle? when you can just sit back and relax.:cool:
    :fishing