Offshore 4-27-12

Woke up, got boat loaded up and headed to the marina. Dropped the boat in, got fuel and frozen bait. Headed my way out of the marina and thought to self-time for some soul searching. As I cleared the inlet to the PG marker, one boat sat there in a 27 contender. I approched the marker and asked Paul=27 condender any bait? "Yeah he says you want some" oh yeah... Loaded up with whitebait and greenbacks I finish loading the well with pins-squirrels-sardines. Pointed the boat west and set coarse for 120ft cruising at 30knts made for a short ride.. At 120ft I scouted around some till I found some ledges and a nice show. Dropped down and first to bite was a 19" scamp. Dropped down again and I get a nice 15-17lb red snapper. Let me a a pic of this one.. So I continue to get a nice mix of scamp, reds 15lbs-20lbs and gags 8lbs-10lbs with one 15lber and amberjacks. I start getting some really bad cramps in my arms so only after 2hrs I take lunch and search around to find another area which was holding some nice goozers.. After some time I decide to move back in for a red grouper spot I have and it was loaded.. After only about a hour I caught and released 6-8 keepers only keeping two for dinner. Arms cramping so I turned the boat east and headed home sore and beat-up. The fishing was great and the soul searching completed.
When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work, because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous
by letting the American Government
take care of him;
better take a closer look at the American Indian."
Henry Ford

Replies

• TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 303 Deckhand
    Great catch!
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,020 AG
    Looks like a great day Joe. :thumbsup The price of gas, not so much.

Have you noticed a mpg increase since switching back?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • sagorysagory Posts: 614 Officer
    Nice job! Thanks for the report. That scamp will be tasty
  • jj lynnjj lynn Posts: 632 Officer
    Mango Man wrote: »
    Looks like a great day Joe. :thumbsup The price of gas, not so much.

Have you noticed a mpg increase since switching back?
    :shrug
    When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work, because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation!

take care of him;
    Henry Ford
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,936 Moderator
    Nice mixed bag Joe, Scamp is by far my favorite grouper for the table.
  • G-RockG-Rock Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Nice job we fished Friday as well and found those stud ARS as well. Kept 3 red grouper couple snapper and a cobia. Quick question, I noticed you slit the throats on the mangos but not the red grouper. I usually bleed the red grouper out as well to get a whiter fillet. Is that what you were doing there or had you already removed the throats before the pics were taken? Thanks
    G-Rock wrote: »
    Nice job we fished Friday as well and found those stud ARS as well. Kept 3 red grouper couple snapper and a cobia. Quick question, I noticed you slit the throats on the mangos but not the red grouper. I usually bleed the red grouper out as well to get a whiter fillet. Is that what you were doing there or had you already removed the throats before the pics were taken? Thanks

Gave the red grouper away :)

take care of him;
    Henry Ford
  • flatsrunnaflatsrunna Posts: 524 Officer
    nicwe caTCH what marina did you visit ?
    Captain Anthony Leverett of Kingdom Business Charter's.
    flatsrunna wrote: »
    nicwe caTCH what marina did you visit ?

Hey flats I run out of Gulfport.

take care of him;
    Henry Ford