Boathouse Discount Marine- Jax, Fl

****Beware**** Do not I repeat do not buy anything from Boathouse Discount Marine on Blanding Blvd in Jacksonville, Fl. I in good faith bought a product from them yesterday to replace the same part that was 7 years old and showing its age. I installed the product exactly as the old was and it would not work, i then proceeded to hook up the old one and worked fine. I took it to them today to get a refund and they would not return my money. I undersstand that their return policy is that items must be in unopend and uninstalled condition, but at the same time as a company you need to make sure your customers are happy and taken care of. I know this because i worked in Marine retail for almost 7 years, and no matter what made sure the customer left the store happy with their experience at the store. So be beware before you buy.

Alex

Replies

• reelhookerreelhooker Posts: 644 Officer
    I will ditto that. I had a very similiar experience with the one near the regency mall.
  • oliveroliver Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    This is surprising news. As a "weekend warrior" boat repair guy I have had numerous returns/mishaps and they have always been accommodating. I hope for their sake this is not the new norm. Did you reach out to the mgr or owner to share this experience with them, they probably would benefit.
  • JaxAnglerJaxAngler Posts: 463 Deckhand
    Thanks for the info

Bold City Heating and Air
    State License CAC1818833

P: (904) 379-1648 / E: [email protected] / BoldCityAC.com

• TEAM GetAFFtrITTEAM GetAFFtrIT Posts: 121 Officer
    You might try to call the owner or HEAD manger and let them know. I only say this because I have dealt with them for years and never had that sort of problem. That being said they could have changed their policy and that is the new norm. I hope not for they will not survive this or any economy like that.
  • ShelShel Posts: 1,042 Officer
    I usually go in there only if I'm close by and need something quick that they have. I've always found the name to be a little misleading because the majority of their pricing is usually not any better than other stores, certainly not discounted as much as they lead you to believe they are. Not saying that West Marine is the greatest, but at least there, if you have a problem or need to return something, they take care of it asap without the hassle. If you buy something new and it doesn't work through no fault of your own, the retailer should refund your money, no questions asked, and return the defective goods to the manufacturer to get their money back without inconvenience to the customer. That's just one of the variables of the cost of doing business.
  • ElementElement Posts: 1,749 Officer
    I have always had good experiences with them although dont think I ever needed to return anything.
  • reelhookerreelhooker Posts: 644 Officer
    I went to get a new water pump kit and the guy argued with me about which kit I needed. He swore up and down that my lower unit had a differant drive shaft then what it was suppose to. He refused to let me show him on evinrudes site and then after about 15 minutes of going back and forth, and me being on the verge of going to becks, the lady came back and let me use their computer. I was right and the guy was an idiot. He just walked away and never said anything about trying to sell me the complete wrong kit, key and everything. That was enough for me.
  • Let's Go AmigoLet's Go Amigo Posts: 2,321 Captain
    thanks for the info
  • jawrayjawray Posts: 256 Deckhand
    The one on Beach will get you high as a kite on some kind of glue smell. My 12 year old became sick for about 30 after leaving there. I still go but the family will not go in. I haven't had any problems with them and they are pretty helpful.
  • Let's Go AmigoLet's Go Amigo Posts: 2,321 Captain
    I'll just pay a little more a hit WM..I can go without the glue high.
  • PangamanPangaman Posts: 556 Officer
    I just had a good experience at the one on beach. I bought the wrong size stainless steel nut for the center of my steering wheel and they exchanged it no problem even without the packaging. There yamaha oil is priced pretty good also.
  • UglycusUglycus Posts: 218 Officer
    I have used them for over 10 years. Never had an issue exchanging anything. Sorry you had a bad experience.
    Formally know as "Fish'n Skiff"
  • RedactionRedaction Posts: 1,440 Officer
    I've been using them for years...returned countless items, I always buy extra and return what I didn't use on my next trip (sometimes a month or two later). I have noticed their pricing isn't quite as discounted as it use to be (to me anyway). West Marine on Roosevelt is two blocks from my house, so they get a lot of my business, but if I think I can save some money and its worth my trip I go to Boat House.

Their staff has always been really nice to me....like mentioned above, I hope this isn't the norm goiing forward.
  • JizzoJizzo Posts: 1,356 Officer
    I recently rebuilt my trailer using parts from Boathouse on Blanding. I had to make MANY trips returning wrong size hangers and even returned a wrong size axle that I had already installed (don't ask). They have never given me any attitude about returns. I have been shopping there for years and have always been treated fine. Hopefully this was one of those isolated incedents with someone having a bad day (which sucks).
    -Jon
  • nitroskiffnitroskiff Posts: 1,623 Captain
    Have been going to the Blanding Boat House for years.....never a bad experience. Allways been helped and givin great advice. Jack at the Blanding Store is awesome. Very help full. I can call him and let Jack know what I need and he will have it all pulled and waiting for me so I can run there during lunch and pick it up real fast.

The beach Store is also good, they just dont carry near as much stuff as the Blanding store.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Nitro Performance Bass Boats
  • madashellmadashell Posts: 816 Officer
    ****Beware**** Do not I repeat do not buy anything from Boathouse Discount Marine on Blanding Blvd in Jacksonville, Fl. I in good faith bought a product from them yesterday to replace the same part that was 7 years old and showing its age. I installed the product exactly as the old was and it would not work, i then proceeded to hook up the old one and worked fine. I took it to them today to get a refund and they would not return my money. I undersstand that their return policy is that items must be in unopend and uninstalled condition, but at the same time as a company you need to make sure your customers are happy and taken care of. I know this because i worked in Marine retail for almost 7 years, and no matter what made sure the customer left the store happy with their experience at the store. So be beware before you buy.

Alex

If the old one worked fine, why replace it? If you really wanted to replace it, why not exchange the new one you bought that didnt work, for another one.:huh
    I will hit the lottery...I will hit the lottery :crossed
  • ShelShel Posts: 1,042 Officer
    madashell wrote: »
    If the old one worked fine, why replace it? If you really wanted to replace it, why not exchange the new one you bought that didnt work, for another one.:huh

Well, let me throw my two cents in here. I happen to know the details regarding this issue. I also know the OP is going to be out of pocket the next couple of days and won't be able to respond so I'll answer that question for him. The OP has recently done quite a bit of work redoing aged parts on his boat and trailer, trying to make sure that something that may go wrong/break in the near future was repaired or replaced as to give him a better sense of security on the water and the road. He was replacing a Lenco actuator which was 7 years old which was starting to make some unusual noises. Now anyone who has had Lencos on their boats will tell you that 7 years for an actuator is pretty good so the OP's plan to replace it was not a bad plan. Boathouse Discount had the actuator in stock so the OP bought it from them yesterday (friday). The OP installed the actuator as prescribed (friday night), did not work. Went over his installation several times and everything was installed correctly. This was a new part, not a cheap "as is" discounted part. It was also the only one that Boathouse Discount had in stock so a same day exchange was not possible. Being on a tight schedule as the OP had prior commitments to be on the water on Tuesday, the OP simply wanted to return (sat) the defective actuator for a refund and purchase another from another supplier on Sunday. Now considering the fact I would like to keep my credibility intact, I'll disclose here that the Return Policy at Boathouse Discount does state that Refunds will be issued for parts returned in uninstalled condition. But after being in the sales profession for the last 32 years, I've got to say that in most cases like this one, the retailer would have simply exchanged the part on the spot or refunded the money and then dealt with Lenco to get their credit on the actuator. That's part of being in business and providing good customer service. This all took place in less than 24 hours from start to finish and having spoke to the person at Boathouse Discount, would have to say she had an attitude from the start. This was a part that had to be installed just to find out that it did not work. The defective part was reported the next morning, not several days later. Is it the end of the world? No, just another one of life's lessons that we all have to learn and be a part of.
  • madashellmadashell Posts: 816 Officer
    A complete story sure adds clarity.
    I will hit the lottery...I will hit the lottery :crossed
  • coachgun1coachgun1 Posts: 306 Deckhand
    I will gaurantee you that if Lenco knows the story, they will replace it!
    They have GREAT customer service. A receipt and the bad actuator is proof
    enough!
  • ElementElement Posts: 1,749 Officer
    coachgun1 wrote: »
    I will gaurantee you that if Lenco knows the story, they will replace it!
    They have GREAT customer service. A receipt and the bad actuator is proof
    enough!

Probably true. Absolutely worth a shot. Lenco and Bennett are constantly pusing to out-do each other when it comes to amazing customer service. I can personally vouch for Bennett but have heard just as many great examples re: Lenco. Their battle to have the best reputation in the boating community means great products and service for all of us.
  • PhinaticalPhinatical Posts: 864 Officer
    I like Boathouse, shop there for quite a few things, but a couple of their counter sale people have got to the some of the worst people in the world for customer service. I am thinking of two in particular, two others I have dealt with are fine. And this is mainly the OP store. I walked in there last week and asked if they carried something and her answer was "what's that?" So I told her and she said "never heard of it" and just gave me a blank stare. No "let me ask someone if we do" or "can you explain it better to me and I will ask someone". Nope, just a blank stare like I was wasting her time. Again, they have decent prices on the stuff I buy there but could use some improvement in the customer service arena if they want to be the go-to for everyone in the market, for at least half of their staff.
  • nitroskiffnitroskiff Posts: 1,623 Captain
    I only deal with Jack.....

he has never steered me wrong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Nitro Performance Bass Boats
  • kajokajo Posts: 4,619 Moderator
    i am locking this thread at the request of the thread starter..he feels the point is made and it has run its coarse..i agreed with him.

dave
    julington creek carpet care

www.jccarpetcare.com
  • kajokajo Posts: 4,619 Moderator
    julington creek carpet care

www.jccarpetcare.com
This discussion has been closed.