Home Tropics

island hop 2012

Replies

• dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,125 Admiral
    yesterday 4 boats went fishing 3 returned with blues. 1 caught 2 the others 1 each. also a few more were seen.
    the boss lands in a hour, so i get to go fish today. the wind has let up the sky has the promise of sun.
    time to teach my pet fish how to swim.
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,666 Captain
    How are you going to use them? Kites? Slow drift?

change of plans, boss gets on the boat i have everything set to kite bait those fat gogs. so i ask him you want to chase tuna or marlin, he opted for marlin. stash the 80`s grab the 30`s and a 50. we make a llittle run to the south set out the dredge a squid chain with a bally islander chaser and a giant bart teaser.
    about 2 hours out here came all up in the dredge. as he faded back he grabs a horse naked hoo. little guy about 125, but he was the only blue caught today. the boat next door caught a white and a few other fish were seen.
    there was about 6-7 boats out there today.
    i put up some pics as soon as i can
  • CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,777 Captain
    Nice work Ray... It was buff and polish day here today... Start fishing tuesday again...
    yesterday we ziged and we should of zagged. we went tuna fishing and caught some small ones and dolphin. there was a few marlin caught both blue and white.
    today we went back to chasing marlin, and got a decent fish about 3 maybe a little better.
    there was also a white caught by another boat.
    the boss just flew out with a big smile, so its back to baby sitting for awhile
    had a few boats leave and a few more show up.
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,392 Captain
    Nice job Ray.
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
    yesterday i saw 2 blue a 1 white marlin flags when the boats returned. there was also a contender that came in with 6 nice yellow fins he caught up on the north hump live baiting.
    today i did not see any flags flying in the marina.
    i did manage to put up a few more pics at
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v85/dragonbait/san%20sal%202012/
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    your having way too much fun!.. keep it up!
    looks like everyone caught a marlin today except the boat next door, they did catch the only sail of the year so far. they also pulled a good one off.
    had a few more boats show up and a few crews of the ones left here return.
    the boats heading out are still getting a marlin or 2 a day mostly blues with a few whites here and there.
    also some of the biggest yelloweyes i ever saw came in yesterday
  • snookyjsnookyj Posts: 1,687 Officer
    the boss just flew out with a big smile, so its back to baby sitting for awhile
    had a few boats leave and a few more show up.

When the boss is happy...your happy!!! Nice job on the blue Ray...thanks for sharing!!!
    there are still fish being caught here , but it seems the boats over in cat are getting more shots than the guys are here. heard of boats seeing 4-6 blues a day over there.
    boats here are only seeing a couple a day for the mast part latley. haven`t seen any decent yellowfins but no one is really targeting them either.
    still more blues and whites showing up, had a boat show up from cat saying the bite slowed down a bit over there.
    the wife flew in yesterday so this week is all about chillin and showing her around the island
  • quickreleasequickrelease Posts: 287 Officer
    My Buddy got 3 blues and a white yesterday
    Quickrelease_1298509_n.jpg
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,392 Captain
    My Buddy got 3 blues and a white yesterday

Zig?
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
    yesterday a nice yellowfin showed up, and just in time i was planning on hot dogs for dinner. there is a boat that came in with 2 blues a day for the last 2 days. also a few more singles amd doubles of blues.
    spent the day yesterday showing my wife around the island had a great time.
    feeling a little cloudy this am , might of had to much fun last night. it must have been the mix going bad.
    your getting old my friend..! when ya get done working and drinking... 2 glasses of water and 3 advils for old creatures like us.. :)
    today i saw only 3 blue marlin flags, but i did see some nice yellowfins around 50 lbs. the boat next door caught a blue that was around 600
    the wind droped out and it has got real hot and the bugs are out in force. the back yard fogger is not helping a lot but it makes me feel like i am fighting back.
    yesterday the boys stuggled to catch 3 fish that i know of but everyone said it was slow. the wind died and it was very hot and bright out.
    me i spent the day at club med with my wife. i will post some pics if i ever get a decent connection.
    today the breeze picked back up and so did the fishing, not sure how many fish were caught but i did see 1 boat come in with 3 flags flying.
    will post more later but the wife says dinner is ready, yum more yellow fin steaks
  • PaulBoatPaulBoat Posts: 4,389 Officer
    ^^^ yum is right...
    me and my wife stayed at the sands when she was here. what a great place. we have stayed all over the bahamas in some very great places but the sands was over the top.
    we stayed in what they call a studio, it had a nice kitchen with plenty of stuff. you can check out the place at the following link , with the rest of the shots from this trip.
    we went to club med for a day pass (($75) had a good time for being a resort destination. did a snorkel trip that had some nice bottom not much for sea life besides a few parrots and some small tropicals. did the luch buffet had a few drinks and called it a day.
    she flew out today and my other boss showed up with his family. we went out for 3 hours with the kids and hid behind the island seeking shelter from the 18+ winds. never saw a fish but no one got sick.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v85/dragonbait/san%20sal%202012/
    i will put up more when the band with allows.
    and sorry for the link but i keep getting errors when trying to post the pics. and did i mention the web is slow.
    Ray, a couple comments about your pics.. :) the orange covering the backside would get a bite! .. why are ya using two lines and bumper chaffe gear???.. LOL (san sal thing I know..) .. your bottle fell over on the dock ,, and of coarse it is a white marlin!.. it was raining it seems to wash all the color off.. :)~ enjoy it all while your here spinning around, after all we got water. one other note .. you should have kept your girl with ya!
    I would have loved tO keep her here.
    The fender is keeping dock lines of the concrete
    And the second line is hanging some big fenders behind the boat, just in case
    And about the orange covering no bites but I almost got hit for sure
    When the wife saw what I was doing. Butt honey it's for the guys not
    Me ;)
    the wind was blowing about 22 out of the ene or so. so we left everyone on the dock but the big boys and headed north in search of tuna late in the morning. trolled the marlin spread to the hump on the north end of the island. had no action till we got in the birds, changed the spread to a couple of dink hoos out of the riggers and a big black bart out of the corner just in case. left the squid chains and dredge in the water and started chasing tunas. caught a 15 lb or so right of the start wich i quickly bled and iced for sushi tonight. caught a few decent blackfins and a full grown skippie.
    after a few hours of trolling we switched to live gogs that i have been waiting to feed to the tunas. the first one got crushed right away by another big blackfin. the second took about 10 min and a few min later a solid 65 pounder came in the boat. mission acomplished we headed to the dock with birds all around us.
    made a few locals happy with the blackfins and skippies.
    never saw a billfish today but only heard of 4 caught over on rum, headed that way in the am
    will put up some more pics when i can
    today there was a good bite going on over at rum, lots of fish seen but only a few caught. some of the boats went 0 for 6, 2 for 5, 1 for 4, and we never saw a fish. not sure wich is worse missing a bunch or not seeing one.
    the weather let up some and was almost a great day, the kids on the boat thought other wise, but they hung in there like champs.
    got back to the dock and had some fresh sushi before dinner. dinner was more tuna steaks
    i put up a few more pics, its amazing what a big fish will eat. the stuff that came out of the tuna we hung up on the scales were tiny undetermined fish and small squids.
  • Blue ZoneBlue Zone Posts: 414 Officer
    Ray,
    Do you hear any buzz as to what's going on over at Rum? Is that project going forward or are they done?
    the buzz on the dock is the project is going forward.

today we went 0 for 2, we had our shots but were using rubber hooks. the boat next door went 4 for 4. another boat catch one that
    was 115 inches short lenght, i leave the weight guessetamates to the experts but it is safe to assume it is a nice fish.
    the day was mostly overcast wich makes for a nice day when there is not much breeze. the sun poked put late in the day and
    at 1030 the skie is clear with not much breeze, at sundown for about a hour before and after the bugs can get pretty bad.
    the back yard fogger seeems to do nothing but make feel like i am fighting back. what does help is a bug screen that i got
    at basspro for hunting that i ware over my hat. it comes up a little short at the neck but it keeps them of my face and ears.
    looks like we are leaving early in the am with just the boys for a half day trip.

sorry no interweb will post when i can 6-14-12

today we left the young ones on the dock and headed to rum early. the seas were glassy and the sun was bright. we raised one white and the rest of the fleet didnt do much better only 2 fish caught at rum today and 1 off sandy pointe. so we took some of my pet gogs to the hump up north and caught another good one around 50 lbs, 1 about 15 and lost a good one to the sharks, the tax man needs his due. all in all a good day, even managed to get the boss off the bridge to tangle with one. he had 40 lbs on him and working his butt off to try and keep it from sharked to no avail.
    fed the sharked one to my pets and the boss said that is like zebras eating lions. when i open the lid on the well they rush up to be fed wich makes it ez to net instead of them running for cover and having to chase them around the 100 gallon well.
    i will put up more pics when i can
    Ray get one of the girls to get you the noxema cold cream in the blue container it is made out of eucalyptus and you can put it around your ears, eyes, hair and neck without slathering deet all over yourself! (trick I learned from some old timers at harbor town in Dania..) keep the wheels turning and the gogs fed! do not feed the bugs! by the way a 115" fish puts two days back on your life no matter what the final 'kilograms' come out to be. :)~
  • ProfessorOProfessorO Posts: 375 Deckhand
    Ray, I'm back from organizing the meeting and I hear that you will be around here, stop by if U get a chance. cheers, O
    PS Happy Father's Day to everyone!
    The goal of scientists is to maximize what we know of the real world by using the mathematical world to optimize the information from the observed world.
    thanks ted i will look in to that
    O i did fly in last night for the weekend the boss is hanging with the kids doing dives and stuff and i had to take care of some things. will try and stop by.
    will be back in san sal 10 am on monday to finish up the trip.
    just picked up some pics from our snorkel trip at club med,