Home Tropics

island hop 2012

Replies

• dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,125 Admiral
    we made san sal a couple of days ago, been busy preping boat. boss arrives in a half hour.
    more to follow
    the boss flew in for a couple of days. the first day we fed the tunas gogs and then the shark ate the tunas, they are tough so far. we did end up with enough for sushi and steaks.
    the second day we went in search of the blue one, late in the day we had just found some warm water holding out to the west but had to get back so he could catch his plane.
    the water temp is mostly around 78
    boss wont get back till the end off the month, so should give me a chance to check out this island proper.
    the next few days i will spend changing oil and getting everything back to as it should be. did not have much of a chance before he got here to set up camp proper.
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    have a great time at camp Ray... :)
    yesterday 5 boats went fishing one came home with a blue marlin flag flapping in the breeze. and a few big dolphin. wind is out of the south, with a gentle swell in the marina.
    here is some video we shot of the local chicks on highborne cay
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v85/dragonbait/dragonbait/?action=view&current=highbornebirdsvist.mp4
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,666 Captain
    yesterday 5 boats went fishing one came home with a blue marlin flag flapping in the breeze. and a few big dolphin. wind is out of the south, with a gentle swell in the marina.
    here is some video we shot of the local chicks on highborne cay
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v85/dragonbait/dragonbait/?action=view¤t=highbornebirdsvist.mp4

i was expecting something else . . . not ruddy turnstones.

• Dreamer34Dreamer34 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    I still regret not coming along, nice job
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    alacrity wrote: »
    i was expecting something else . . . not ruddy turnstones.

with the weather we had that what did you expect ;)

Dreamer34 wrote: »
    I still regret not coming along, nice job

tony?
    the fishing seems to be picking up, there is only a couple of boats fishing each day. and they seem to be catching 1 a day mostly blues some whites.
    there was a guy here trying to break the 30 lb wahoo record fishing by himself out of a 23 searay with a cabin.
    we have had a few very nice boats pull in the last couple of days.
    we have a nice breeze to day maybe 12 out of the east with a few clouds, wich is a nice break it has been hot and flat the last few days.

looking to arange a car for sunday so i can go scout out the island a little more
    its hard to tell how the fishing is doing with only a couple of boats fishing, seems most are diving. the few boats that are fishing are getting a couple of shots a day.
    yesterday took the dockmasters car and rode around the island. the east coast has some wonderfull beaches that go on for miles with no one in sight. lots of stuff for beach combers , found a couple a floats of hard plastic that appears to have been made in spain judging by the writing.

the 4 doz gogs i have in a pen are doing fine i hang it in the transom lights for free food, as the lights atract stuff the gogs eat them.
    boss just canceled his next trip wont be back till the 26
    here are some shots i took around the island

sorry files to large to load

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/dragonbait/visitor.jpg
    a daily visitor to the boat

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/dragonbait/castel.jpg
    some old buildings that date back to the early 1800s

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/dragonbait/veiwfromcastel.jpg
    the view from that old structure

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/dragonbait/bluecupatsunset.jpg
    sunset at camp

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/dragonbait/IMG_0055.jpg
    miles of beaches
  • JohnnyBlackJohnnyBlack Posts: 352 Officer
    Nice report, I've been following since the beginning. Keep it coming...and more pics too, if possible.
    mako-logo.png
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    pic links no good
    sorry about that was just creating a one stop shop for all the photos from this trip, try this one
    http://photobucket.com/sansal2012
  • Blue ZoneBlue Zone Posts: 414 Officer
    What might ya be doin' with that thing in the cockpit?
    you must be talkin about my fish house, i keep the fattest, laziest gogle eyes you ever saw in there. i feed them a couple of times a day, then i move the pen into the light off my transom at night and they feed on every thing that swims in.
    i will shoot some video tonight and the next time i feed them
    the boat next to me has been with out a fish for 3 days now, so this am they had a little dance in the cockpit before they left. i will put that video up as well when the web connection will let me.
    2 other boats came in yesterday 1 with a blue the other with a white.
    also heard there was some large yellowfins up in the spread but would not comit

also made a couple of deals, 1 was for my bait freezer. when the boss is in town we get 2 chicken dinners. last year i gave the last one to the dock master.
    also i keep having what a viking needs to keep his stuff working and also flew a few guest in on our plane. so before he leaves the dock in the am i stretch a hose over there and get good r.o. water instead of the "sping" water that is on the dock. last year by trips end my ice maker was maling some awfull noises.
    well the boat next door missed another fish for sure had em on jumping, but pulled the hook also had a few mystery nock downs.
    told them they missed their fish cause they danced the wrong way around the chair, so they are going to do it the other way in the morning.
    saw at least 3 blue and 1 white flags come in.
    had 2 more boats come in this afternoon.
    internet is very slow but at least i get it from the boat this year after our upgrade
  • ProfessorOProfessorO Posts: 377 Deckhand
    You must be getting old needing a car to see the island; Rachelle and I walked it.
    So where's all the catching pictures?? If you need help, give a call. 8^) cheers, O
    The goal of scientists is to maximize what we know of the real world by using the mathematical world to optimize the information from the observed world.
    Yesterday there was about 10 flags flying.
    There was about 7 boats out fishing.
    The weather promised rain but no such luck.
    Was hoping to give the boat a good rinse

O the island is about 35 miles around, there is no way I am walking that far
    Will put up more pics and video when the connection allows .
    yesterday seemed to be a good bite with some boats catching a couple of blues. also the boat next door came in with a nice 90 lb class yellow fin.
    also had a guest of the marina get in trouble at club med, got his butt spanked pretty good and returned to the boat by the local police at 4 am.
    it finaly rained enough for a good rinse. the sky is a little overcast today.

still unable to load video as of yet
  • CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,777 Captain
    Just keep em comming. Wi Fi slow here too even with the "Toy" working for us... The blue water baite here is pretty slow. Seeing a fish most days but they are mostly lazy and just passing by. Swat something big for me man... Pulling for ya as I'm back on bonefish patrol for about another week...
  • privateer19privateer19 Posts: 439 Deckhand
    Great read, thanks!
    yesterday did the island road trip again, spent some time on the east side beach combing, lots of stuff that went on for miles.
    saw 5-6 blue flags and a few tunas but nothing like the slob from the day before.
    had dinner at a local place, food was good. the price was $95 for 7 people (no booze consumed)
    had a bit of west wind in the am that has the boat moving a bit, sure would not want to be here with any real weather from the west
    make sure you keep track of how many miles you put on the vehicles over there my friend you may have to get a set of tires sent in.. :) .. you do know that even hanging out a day and eating good food with people adds two days back on your life ..!?! the warsaw pic was funny..! made my day! have a good day my friend and remember that wood boats need to go fishing.. (actually I need tuna.)
    this old boat will go fishing come sat, boss flying in for a couple of days. and i hope to kill some goggle eyes. they are by far the fattest i ever saw.
    yesterday i saw 2 blue and 1 white flags in the air. only about 4-6 boats fishing at this time.
    went to the tavern last night for dinner, by far the best cracked conch i ever had. its a bit far from the marina but worth the trip.
    the weather has turned to gray skies and light rain, started around 5 yesterday and looks like we might get a couple of days of it.

oh and will someone please bring some limes

also put up a few more island pics at
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v85/dragonbait/san%20sal%202012/
    Seems like there was a pretty good bite out there today. Most of the boats
    Returning this afternoon had at least one blue some two.
    The sky is remaing gray with some light rain, not enough to rinse
    The boat but It does help with the dust.
    Looks like we have some weather moving in from Cuba this weekend
    Should make it fun for when the boss gets here.
    For now the surge has quit pushing the boat
    Got to go the boat next door just dropped off a small tuna
    Can you say wasabi
    Looks like the weather has slowed the fleet down
    A bit. Only saw 3 blue flags today.
    1 boat had a few shots at very large yellowfins
    But the sharks mugged them
    The sky remains gray with light rain wind is about 20 from the ese
    Dinner at riding rock this evening is bbq buffet

just back from dinner food was great bbq chicken and ribs and plenty off sides

also managed to upload some video the one of marlin dance is a laugh
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v85/dragonbait/san%20sal%202012/
    Ray.. looks like all you need is soap and a shammy the next couple days..

http://classic.wunderground.com/wundermap/?sat=1
  • ProfessorOProfessorO Posts: 377 Deckhand
    Ray, fish deep it is hot there. cheers, O
    The goal of scientists is to maximize what we know of the real world by using the mathematical world to optimize the information from the observed world.
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,666 Captain
    thanks for the reports ray.

Yesterday only 3 boats went fishing that I saw. 2 sport fish a 1 cc
    The Cc returned with some decent yfins and a Nice phin
    The boat. Nxt door forgot to take down his flag from the day
    Before, so it ended up nailed to the dock. They took it very good
    And we laughed about it when they got Back from dinner