Home Tropics

Bahamathon 2012...

Replies

• TNTTNT Posts: 33 Deckhand
    Friend of mine just sent me a pic of a giant caught in Cat yesterday or the day before.
  • CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,777 Captain
    Ok having some technical issues but some photos making it through upload... Video will have to go a different way than what we have available...

Rain kept us pinned to the pilings til about ten o'clock... Cleared the cut and water blue but not that real dark rich stuff we usually have here... I started my day as usual banging some shallower spots before doing my circuit of deeper spots. Passing through the batelco rip hopes were high as it looked good and plenty of current. No go... Next stop pines and 1500... Thats where we have had a bit of action recently but again no players in there... Off to the out front 1600 spot...nope not here...
    Decided to try a shallower spot where we caught out money winner in last years tourney... As we closed in on it the water was not looking very good... Pale kinda dirty blue... "Click!" off goes the flat line....Cuda... I don't pull the boat out of gear for them and as it threashed and flopped behind us I saw a big boil and a whole lotta purple take a shot at it??? It disappeared for a second then I saw a jumbo maw open up on the rigger and our super sneaky secret custom made iland pro but bigger with bonefish added for flavor.
    KAFRIGGINBOOM! Water flew and we were tight. If I hadn't seen what appeared to be a bill I would have thought bluefin found us... Your heart starts to pound as she launches for the first time and see she's a fatty... Your mind micro analyzes every litte thing. "She's on that 50w that we supersized with 700 extra yards of spectra with topshot of 200+ yards of 80 mono top shot... Good 11/0 jobu hook and fresh 400 for leader attached to fresh wind on... Not one of the 80ws but a good solid rig to bow her up on...
    She's launching again for the horizon... You're thankful for that extra yadage the spectra gives... Then she makes a mistake by taking a turn... Shes dragging 600 or so yards of belly in the line burning herself out without stealing any more than what she has already taken. The crew had that pit cleared in a blink and this old Viking was squirting backwards pretty good. Her race across the top was getting her nowher so she digs for the basement.
    Good angler... no great angler... in my owners son in law shows her no mercy...
    bim2012_146.jpg

She tries doing the broadside trick but a boat going forward counters that move... I pull gently away right at the edge of losing line but not quite. As line angle changes . I give a quick shot of reverse and take up what we can/ Angler has game. Fish responding well to our tricks... Get her in the cork screw then back up taking back big chunks of string each pass...
    Twenty minutes becomes thirty becomes forty... Angler leaning on her the whole way... Then there it is- wind on at the tip... Deckhand has passed up his usual orange snot gloves and donned the heavy welders gloves. Half wrap at a time he muscles her up for a better look...
    bim2012_147.jpg

Shes up. I can only be off the helm for a second to take a peek. Even on wide angle I get only part of her beefy body in the viewfinder...Yep shes a girthy one all right...
    bim2012_155.jpg

I shoot again and catch a glimpse of her huge propellor...
    bim2012_154.jpg

We hold her boatside for everybody to take a good long look. She cooperates nicely. I get the lure and hook back from the "v" of her bill... then back to the helm to get us back in gear. I dash back for a final pic...
    bim2012_158.jpg

She gets color back and shes set free to hopefully thrill somebody else another day... :)
  • TNTTNT Posts: 33 Deckhand
    Sweet fish!!! On the canyon lure "islander" type?
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,666 Captain
    super nice fish. congrats and the pics are fantastic.

Tedd we made up a jumbo version of the island pro amongst other versions... We're not sure if we'll market this model but we have a oversized standard ilander style one that will be available soon. That along with our version of the standard, our slant headed one ond my favorite the one with a little cup on the nose instead of a point. This is a flat faced version...
    Iland discontinued the "pro" which makes me think it wasn't selling well but a lot of guys especially in the Carolinas are starting to make their own versions...
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,214 AG
    Great job by all involved! Did the angler go for a swim back at the docks?
    He had two last year with us... One at Chub and the money fish we had in the tourney here last year... So no swim... Brother in law a couple weeks ago got his swim though hes had sails and a white with me. I was gonna make up some new thing for this angler if he catches two fish on the same spot using the same rod a year apart he owes the crew each a Rolex but I think he mighta caught on...

Today the weather was hot and the fishing for us was not. Scattered weed out front had us pushed to different grounds than usual and really forced us to take our game south. Worked all the way along a gorgeous weed line and several rips without even seeing bait under it... Got down to gun and we had our shot... Big girl (not as big as yesterday) blasted our inside rigger with the big lure. Took about 10 feet of drag, let go, then blasted it again... Great visual bite but steel never found its mark... We wound the meat baits in there to see if she would switch but she just faded away...
    Worked shallower weeds on the way back. Triggers, turtles, couple pee wee dolphin,even a cobia under there but nothing wanted to leave the shade to come and taste anything in the 85 degree afternoon sun heated water... So a zilch went on the score board... Oh well... 3 more days to score... :)
    Not sure if this link will work here or not... Will try though...
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=334950839911373

Think you need to belong to Facebook and have adobe flash to play it...
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,666 Captain
    link not working

I'm able to get it if I log in to FB and refresh... The raw isn't in my computer to try and load to you tube...
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,737 Captain
    Just saw the pictures of the Blue. Wholly mother of god, NICE FISH!!! If you didn't catch another thing that's the type of fish that makes for a great trip!
    Intrepid you just hit the nail on the head... No, Bimini is not the Azores, or St.T, or Madiera or even close to Chub. Its the card we were dealt this year that fit into the owners work schedule and accessibility for him and his guests... We did months of prep getting ready for what was supposed to be long run at chub and a shorter one here. Didn't work that way so gotta make do.
    No we havn't set the world on fire but each group has had a marlin memory to go home with. That fish yesterday left a mark that wont soon be forgotten by the guests or for that matter the boss. Say what you will about Bimini... If you work it she has a few treasures she will cough up and yes that one fish made the whole trip worth all the effort of prep and work that goes into this...
    We have three more fishing days before we fold up the tent and take her stateside and I'm thinking there will be another memory or two to be made. Even if it doesn't happen, the whole trip has been made... we got what we came for... :)
  • killin timekillin time Posts: 55 Deckhand
    Compleat; First let me say thanks for the bone fish IM. Sorry I'm going to miss you at the docks, I'll still owe you that cold one. We arrive Monday at BGC for ten or so days but it seems like you'll be long gone. Also thanks for taking the time to chronicle your time there. Sounds like you left a few fishy things there for us to play with, my bait freezer's full, new lines are put on, and the boat's running sweet. Hadn't expected too much blue water stuff as I thought the water would be too warm and the seas too flat. Your reports have given us some hope though, (but the DD stuff is still packed and ready so we don't starve!)
    KT pleasure is all mine... Not a bad idea bringing food. Havn't even seen a food fish in the last couple days and you are right about the water heating up past productive with 85 and even 86 in spots this afternoon and nothing wanting to play at all.
    Restaurants have been ok... Here at Big Game and up on the Anchorage its been great this year (last year Big Game got low marks)... I'd be remiss if I didn't mention in this blog though how bad the dining experiences up the road at Bimini Bay have been. First night we ate there they were closed an hour early but reopened for us. Then another customer came in with a really big order after us. They prepared his order first and ran out of food!
    Last night the boss man wanted to try the nice place up there. Disasterous results. Not one of us got what we ordered. Much of the food that did come was dripping in what tasted like old 40weight oil. One of the fillet mignons that came out to our group was cooked on one end ok but the other was raw... About $300 boning for a party of five of us. Boss man lit into their manager. Very nice man and well intentioned. He asked us to come back and try again on the house and boss man said "even for free... not worth it".
    Big Games food and service have improved a lot since last year. Took a while to get served tonight but we got what we ordered and it tasted like food... :)
  • PaulBoatPaulBoat Posts: 4,389 Officer
    Beautiful fish Paul. Congrats!!!
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    nice blue... ! I agree though Bimini has so many treasures from diving, bonefishing, tunas and blue marlin. If you take the time and your ready things work out. Good food at the end of the day though is a must for a good crew though.. ( makes rum n beer taste better..)
    Yall are gonna love todays tales! Lets call today "Rumble in the rain"... I'll get the story up in a while... Right now got some boat stuff to do and some sharks to feed... It'll be worth the wait... :)
    Ok ... where we ? Oh yeah... Bimini... :)
    Keep your shirts on its comming... Dinner time first...
    Well the decks were wet when we got up. A look at the radar showed stuff off Key Largo comming this way more or less. Wind was pretty stiff west and shifting... Didn't know really which way to go. Cleared the cut and headed where we got the fish a couple days ago and planned to continue to where we had our bite yesterday...
    Hit the first spot to find weed scattered, a nice rip, but no bites... I looked toward the next area and the weather was closing fast forcing me to abort that direction and pick a place where getting hit by the lightning that series of storms wasn't gonna be as likely.
    Got to one of my spots and the weed was bad. The thunder was now louder and I altered course to get around a celll... Then against a back drop of dark sky there she was... The fish the other day was a real good slob--- this one was notably bigger!
    Lump in throat as she took down one of the 30 wide rigger baits... Yeah we have them backed with spectra as well but this fish was that special class... We thought she was bowed up solid but out came the rig... All eyes were on it as she again erupted on it. Back out and clear as a bell wanting it for her own. Bowed up again... or so we thought. This time the bait was missing and only the combos lure dragging. I put the boat back in gear and we brought back the empty rig... Then there she was again. This time eyeballing the little 30s on the flats... We wound in the sneaky bait (same bait as the other day) into the mix... Kaboom!
    Bowed up and afterburners on with no jump headed for the basement! She got only to the spectra then stopped... Boss's buddy was on the stick and went to work...
    bim2012_160.jpg
    We backed then did the take up like we did on the other big one the other day. No predicting how a fish is going to react and though a monster this girl gave up the ghost in only fifteen minutes then even turned at us... Little reaction time. Saw the wind on come through the guides. Mate grabbed hold and then she turned up the heat on him dragging him across the pit and up the side.
    bim2012_167.jpg
    I snapped a lousy shot as she blew past . In hind sight my mate should have let go to keep from getting hurt but he locked his knees under the gunwale and tried to stop her... The 400 jinkai let go before his arms got torn from their sockets!!!
    bim2012_170.jpg

It was high fives all around... Don't get any better than this was the sentiment. I tossed her back in geqr. Mate tossed the spread back in wash and we were good to go back fishing. Rain got heavier where we were so I dove us back out of it...
    Kablam! water flies and same bait again disappears ! Racing for the basement we're thinking tuna? Line angle changes and back into the air... This time a hot smaller one...
    If you look close you can see her about center frame sticking her head out.
    bim2012_164.jpg

This fish though much smaller was far friskier. The supersized 50w and boss's son in law back in the chair had her stymied quick... Then like the big one she made a mistake by running at us. Deckhand back on the leader quick maybe 10 minutes start to finish... She was a handful and green as could be gave the mate a couple round trips across the pit but we switched to 400 Sufix leader and it didn't give up. Some how a coil got wrapped on one of his fingers and I got a shot at barehand leadering myself. :)
    bim2012_169.jpg

Rain came harder and we took it to the beach but satisfied with two pieces of laundry flapping and the memory of the super pig piling on our bait and the regular sized one whipping our collective butts boatside etched in our heads. Bimini might suck in somes views but keeps handing us some pretty special moments... :)
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,737 Captain
    I can tollerate it if it can tollerate me... :)
  • KeysboundKeysbound Posts: 47 Deckhand
    What is the estimate on the first one?
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    Congrats, you definately have Bimini dialed in
  • quickreleasequickrelease Posts: 287 Officer
    And they say you cant get shots at blue marlin in Bimini.... :fishing
    Quickrelease_1298509_n.jpg
    Waiting out a line of t-storms to pass....

Keysbound... i won't toss estimates on here... too many "experts" that think they can guage size from wide angle still shots... The big one the other day was "really big" the big one yesterday "bigger" --- really bigger... The small one yesterday was "average to slightly smaller than average for a bahamas blue... people on board pretty much in agreement on sizes guaging from known weight fish in the past and on walls here and there and for me they are the only ones who's guesses count... :)

DP this boat helps a lot. Of the boats I have had here at Bimini over the last near 35 years shes as good at raising em as any if not better. The new bait we've been working with is clearly doing its job...

QR nah there ain't any of them round these parts... :)
  • BspotBspot Posts: 189 Officer
    Paul, I stopped by BCG looking for you on Monday but no luck. Settled for lunch upstairs instead! Congrats on the Blues, I only looked for them Tues a.m. off the Pines, way to much weed for my liking. Stayed way south the rest of the trip bottom fishing til noon and diving the rest of the day. Ran way up on the bank Weds when it went slick like a swimming pool! Thanks for all the helpful intel!
    The one smaller fish yesterday was pines 1500' the big one was in front of the cut same depth. The one we missed the day before was only 675' down by Gun. The other big one we got day before was off turtle in 976' so they're kinda scattered. Yes the weed has been bad but the fish have been on the fringes of it so I guess a painful necessary evil has to be dealt with once in a while.
    Rain isn't an issue but we had too much lightning to chance it. We slid out for about an hour looking for ceros or blackfins but no luck... A boat we let try one of our baits braved a lot of weather and got a bite and a dolphin using it... Spear fishermen on the tables with small hogs and one guy with a few deep drop fish was all I saw there. Twenty some boats on the mutton patch were pretty well skunked from what I heard...
    One more shot with the boss tomorrow. Sunday they go and deckhand and I will give it one last try... Might even llok for a tuna at high light... Monday is planned to troll home...