Home Tropics

Bahamathon 2012...

Replies

• CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,777 Captain
    I don't get it... Conditions ripe... Spread looked as good as I have ever seen it... Flyers, current, color, chop, all the makings for magic but no love for the hero or zero spread. No saqndbagging we just didn't connect. Had something **** a rigger bait out of the gate then nothing til late... Had a good sized blue glide under the rigger bait then never saw it again. Can't say she raised on it... More like she happened to come up near top as bait was crossing her down sea swim...
    Skip just docked and they only bounced a sail off and one cut off so I wasn't alone in the reallly quiet department...
    Evening fish included loads of gogs, horse eyes, a couple 40 class tarpon, a couple chunky mangroves and a medium mutton so far...
    :) Much better... morning coughed up nothing of note so I slid over to an old favorite rock pile for a good old fashioned smack down. Loaded with cudas and slob class rubber lips it was non stop rodbending... The few tails we could get past the predators were full on flags of 2-5 pounds... We had a ball blowing up tackle and busting stuff for a couple hours til the tide croaked...
    Back up on the troll we slid to 1900 feet and had godzilla (500 class blue) pop a big lure with no hook up... Nothing else there we worked in and out. Then on a pass of 1100 feet we swatted slob dolphin ... While working a big one at low idle a sail grabbed the dangling rigger bait and gave us a short but energetic show... Boxed a 33 pound cow and circled back to find a small blue on our rigger again short show and back on the troll yet another billfish punched the same rigger but no bow up... Then it was over as suddenly as it started. At least they are here and it felt good to get some swinging sticks in the spread... :)
    Last night was interesting. Had a ball playing tag with the big bulls at the cleaning table... Tied off cuda heads and yanked em away last second. Some times tho they get qucker than us and then it was tug of war time... We switched gears after dark and loaded up on gogs and runners... The middle of the night though a lot of noise and felt the boat moving. Jaws ate my live cage! :(
    Got up early and replenished the pile of bait and off we went. Nice pick of big tails, triggers, cudas and some sloppy ol rubberlipped amberjacks to tug on. Put her on the troll and we finally got our laundry fish. Rat white marlin but at least we got leader this time... An hour later zilla came back and pounded an iland pro/ horse combo... Great bite but hook found nothing to grab... Nothing else on the troll and we again bagged it early... Get a couple hours at it before boss has to leave in morn...
    Add tarpon and cobia to the pile tonight so far along with a lot of tug o war with sharks...
    A load of pee wee boats came over today... Good slug of tails on the table. Some big kings and a few cero too. Only seen one mutton so far but the parking lot is lit up like a christamas trees.
    Side note to would be wake throwers the defence force has finally taken up station right at the Big Game Club...

Yeah I know... I suck at taking pics ... Somebody gotta drive the boat backwards... :)
    bim2012_018.jpg

Nice mix in the slush tank... :)
    bim2012_017.jpg

Happy guest... :)
    bim2012_019.jpg
    Today was boss leave day... Did a two hour troll with him and some guests. In keeping with the morning slow trend we had only a slob dolphin and sail... Went back, had lunch, then I got the lovely chore of checking out which thanks to ongoing botched reservations taking of too many deposits and losing them to lousy communication finally got done after about two hours of tedious labor.
    Pat dropped the ball at Sea Crest and somebody still in my slip. That means I get the high honor of sitting on the outside dock with dozens of May moon mutton mad men ignoring all the wake rules and beating the hell out of my precious Mirgae... Then you got the locals blowing out doing hole shots out of the government dock with their little go fasts... Add in every sea ray in the southern half of the usa all dragging sterns throwing kona class surf and well you might say I'm grumpy.
    So what better way to get un grumpy than go abuse bonefish... Or should I say have the bones abuse us... Stoped short of usual spot to try a different spot with a different tide than we normally work. After a few misses I spotted a slob not only tailing but dorsal out too... I had brought 4lb test outfits today but went to my 8lb one for that pig... Good thing... Conservative 10 pound fish maybe more... Good way to start... Went back to the inflatable for fresh bait and saw the flat comming alive with tailing fish. picked up the little 4 pound gear expecting them to be small. Nope! All but one were all over 6 pounds which was way cool on the light stuff... I racked up 6 on the 4 pound gear and the pig on the 8lb... Went and picked up my deckhand with the inflatable and we took another double header as we poled our way out of there... Again couple 7-8lb class ones...
    It was a nice surprise to deal with the bigguns most days it seems we get 2-4 pound fish at Bimini... Not today... :)
  • MuttonJeffMuttonJeff Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    great writeups - are you seeing many muttons coming in?
  • 2fastlx2fastlx Posts: 407 Deckhand
    Great to hear they are addressing the no wake zone issue. I sure hope they make some progress. We stay at sands because having the boat thrown around by the inconsiderate BB crowd gets old fast.
    Very few muttons on the table. Bouncer had one and I saw a couple othrs. Tails not numerous but good sized and a few groupers making their show on the tables last night and today... We're headed out soon to soak up some bonefish love again...

Defence force sitting at Blue Water... They talked to a couple of the worst local offenders and they got ignored... Other boats kind of behaving when they see the boat but havn't seen them get aggressive about it... Our boat got pretty scuffed up on the night before moving to our regular slip this morn...
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,737 Captain
    Love reading your posts. Great writing. THANKS!!
    Tonight the table is filled with muttons... We just came in from the bonefish beat down of all beat downs. Some where between 40 and 50 bones... First 25 or so were the little bimini regulars then we got the next 20+ as bigguns... :)

Again the table is jammed with some slob muttons and a couple nice grouper and some horse tails (think they came from gingerbreads).

wHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES... :)
  • Frosty1Frosty1 Posts: 140 Deckhand
    Love reading your posts, keep it going. I'm heading over on Wednesday May 16th. Staying at the BGC. Hope to see you around while there. I'm just a small 22'cc but have big dreams of catching fish and Kaliks.
    Peace, Frosty
    Woke to power out this morn. Some dork hot roddin through town took out a power pole by driving like an idiot. Banged some mangrove snappers then back to work on the boat and tackle some...
    Left late for the flat and missed the tides we wanted... That kind of threw us off our game to start. We caught a few at the first spot then we had issues with the little lemon sharks. Like somebody threw a switch they got pretty aggresive... Fins down back up and brushing against our legs. My mate poked one with his spin rod to get the little **** away and it turned and bit the tip off the rod... Then they changed their focus off us and started taking runs at the school of bones we were working. Didn't take long for the whole school to shut down and get out of there...
    We went back to the other flat we had the big ones on the last two days and waited on the tide. The lemons were aggitated there too but not just the pee wees... A couple in the 50lb range a couple in the 100 class and a real stud of 200 or so making wading a bit nerve racking... We ran out of daylight before the tide got right.
    Back at the dock more nice muttons on the table along with some dandy groupers. Were going to go out for dinner but everybody closed for election day. Back on the boat I came to find "somebody" wiped out over half our whole trips supply of cheese and other goodies. Don't think it was deckhand. Pretty sure it was one of our guests. At least it got eaten and not brought back to the states... So thats our boring days story... :)
    Deck hand went home so its just me. Doin laundry cleaning stuff. Re rigging some stuff... Conch salad for lunch and life is good... Gonna go do some solo bonefishing...
  • strictlybusinessstrictlybusiness Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Compleat wrote: »
    Deck hand went home so its just me. Doin laundry cleaning stuff. Re rigging some stuff... Conch salad for lunch and life is good... Gonna go do some solo bonefishing...

Sometimes some "ME" time is the best time. Glad to hear the trip is going well. Stay cool!
    Muttons slowed to a crawl but tails from issacs area were slobs... Guys who got em said they needed to go up to tld25 gear to get em past the sharks. Couple slob kings up that way as well.
    Fighting Lady returned with a couple dolphin and ceros. Yesterday they baited a pod of giants and saw another single.
    A 33 or 36 contender arrived but poor **** blew up one of his 350 four strokes...
    I tried some scouting of new flats spots on tide I don't score well on muy usual spots... Baited two permit and two real big bones with no bites. Did pick off a big fat mutton so wasn't a total loss... Wind came up against tide makin it no fun so i bagged it early. Enjoying the quiet time, watching dvd - Old Man and the Sea... So life is again good... :)
    Been following it since the Tourney was cancelled... Knew something was up with shifts at the dive shop and in the pecking order of whos who within their ranks. As many of you know, the boss is a Guy FREAK! Hell I'd venture a guess we are the only 43 with multiple GH originals aboard. Mutual business decision by both parties. His draw falling short of what they hoped from a dollar stand point. Instability of the paperwork still in process has the GH group concerned...

Now on to today. It was calm with showers this morn. Engines needed a run. I could just do that at the dock or I could go for a quick down and back... Well I went with the ride idea. Just three flat lines is all I cared to drag. Got down Cat way and saw the first giant bluefin I have seen in a couple years. Not in position to bait it and I'm not stupid enough to try one solo any way... Off Turtle picked a dolphin and then a sail at this end of turtle. I'll take it...
    Jumped in the puff up and continued my quest to find new spots on differnt tide. Saw a shadow and as the bait landed it turned. Permit! No jumbo... not much over ten pounds but a permit and I owned it after twenty minute scrap...
    Got to a spot I fish a lot at other tides and was surprised to see quite a few bones. These were the little guys and I dropped to 4lb gear... Bowed up I see a torpedo close in and nail it... Cuda!! $%^&! He was pushing the school around and shut down the bite so I mived a couple hundred yards awa and bowed up another micro bone only to have him race in and cost me another hook... Grrrr! Tomorrow I might just have to tote a section of wire and get that 4 foot menace out of my spot so I have a good place to bring my guests.

Back at dock. Fighting Lady had a good dolphin and some ceros. They also saw a couple tunas but no clean shots...

Then as i was writing this I guess too many Kaliks or rum or what ever got the best of somebodys better judgement... A few swings in one of the hotel rooms and some bruised flesh later the local cops took him away and I guess will share some Bimini hospitality with him... :O
    Well this place is an adventure. Some how the man who was detained wormed his way out. Jumped in a boat and took off... One problem... He left his very drunk wife and friends behind. Seems the crew of the Fighting Lady who were involved with the scuffle aren't done with it yet. So the drunken wife and drunken friends really going at it with those boys. The deserted group just boarded the ferry and FL crew wants to follow them to see if that other boat is hiding over there...
    More than an adventure... Its a job... :)
  • JohnnyBlackJohnnyBlack Posts: 352 Officer
    Sounds like Cowboy had too many tequilas!! LOL
    mako-logo.png
    wasn't his crews fault... Some drunk guy tried to barge into their room and when they told him to get out he started swinging. Somebody laid a good shot on him and he tossed a few weak ones back but at everybody that was there. Cops cooled the guy down and he talked his way out of cell time... Then jumped in his boat split leaving everybody behind. His scarecrow wife and friend were plowed drunk, stoned, or both and man they were on fire blaming Cowboys crew for starting it??? They only defended themselves!
    They did not want to let it go... I just stood by quietly and I was even catching fringes of flack from the waffled ones. With the help of Mike qand Pat and a little common sense the remaining drunks left behind caught the ferry and nobody pushed it any further...

Now back to fishing stuff... I am hoping to pen a couple runners or gogs but all I got in my lights is tarpon and dinky pilchards... :)
    Hmm...Yeah Cowboy and them are good peeps. Is Josh, the mate, with them? I fished with him last year over there for Tuna. Cowboy has A LOT of pull on that island and he's not the guy to ***** with over there...Anyway, I can't wait to get over to West End and then to Abacos for the BBC next month...Hope the Blues are chewin'

Good luck!!
    mako-logo.png
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,666 Captain
    who is Cowboy?

alacrity wrote: »
    who is Cowboy?

captain of Fighting Lady. They go over for the big Bluefins ever year, along with Bart and all the other guys who own Jets...LOL
    mako-logo.png
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,737 Captain
    captain of Fighting Lady. They go over for the big Bluefins ever year, along with Bart and all the other guys who own Jets...LOL

Someone told me they've never caught one on these trips. Is that true?
  • 2fastlx2fastlx Posts: 407 Deckhand
    Someone told me they've never caught one on these trips. Is that true?

Not true at all. I think they are the ONLY ones who have caught giants off Bimini in the recent years.
  • quickreleasequickrelease Posts: 287 Officer
    I thought bart ran the fighting lady? and they are the only ones to recently catch some...
    Quickrelease_1298509_n.jpg
    Forget the name of Barts boat... They I think fish out of Cat Cay... They caught a few like three years ago. Two years ago I baited a double and heard of a couple seen. Last year the only giant I heard of was one attacked by a pod of pilot whales during the Guy Harvey tournament. I have never seen Fighting Lady with a giant but thats not saying they havn't plucked a couple... My last one was in the 90's.
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,666 Captain
    Compleat wrote: »
    Forget the name of Barts boat... They I think fish out of Cat Cay... They caught a few like three years ago. Two years ago I baited a double and heard of a couple seen. Last year the only giant I heard of was one attacked by a pod of pilot whales during the Guy Harvey tournament. I have never seen Fighting Lady with a giant but thats not saying they havn't plucked a couple... My last one was in the 90's.

here's a great article on cathcing blues in Cat/Bimini.

http://worldwideanglermag.com/767-giant-bluefin-tunas

Bart sold Fighting Lady to Cowboy. They have caught them there in recent years and are some of the only people to do so. If the winds aren't right out of the SE, then the guys usually fly back on there jets and leave the boats there with the mates. Last year they were at the Sands, that's when I fished with Josh from Fighting Lady for Tuna in the NW Channel. They fish ONE bait and you get ONE shot at those big boys before they're gone, that's it. It ain't like it used to be but they're there, every year doing it. And they have fun while they're doing it, let me tell you, those boys can party...
    mako-logo.png