Home Tropics

Bahamathon 2012...

CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,777 Captain
You sweat it out while waiting for the bridges... The throttles get pushed forward and ten months of sitting, a dirty bottom and 3000 extra pounds of junk telegraph to the guages the engines are not pleased with this much comming out of the gate. I scroll through her hidden codes and yep she's just gonna be cranky for the whole ride...
I bust through the inlet and out of the gate momma natura tosses me four knots of gulfstream on the bow... That and the weight and the dirty bottom means its gonna be a slow one... She'll only give me 1900 before the load and fuel burn get over the top. barely 20 knots over the bottom.
I hope that as we burn off fuel she'll let me slide quicker. That will take time. I only get a little help as the wind picks up making the burn off less effective... The stream doesn't give it up all the way. Still we get past 21 then 22 then 23 then finally 24 over the ground as we burn down and trim right.
Three hours goes by then a speck on the horizon. The speck grows and pines take shape. The sphincter begins to relax. I jack the throttles and she gives me 28 against the current. I know my readings are off and I ignore the warnings as I round that green can and gently ease em back. We come off plane and the high pitch whine of the turbos spooling back down signals she enjoyed the little push. I lay up on the gps dots from last year and good water on all of em... I round the bend, Mike and Pat already to grab lines as I slide into the Seacrest slip...
Then all the boat noise is gone. Replaced by the hustle and bustle of the government dock and freighter offload. Customs lady rather dry and unfriendly but immigration lady's smile makes it all even out. 1000 pounds of junk gets set on land including 170 pounds of spare wheels that had our center of gravity way too far aft. Inflatable is running and I just glassed tailing bones a half mile or so up the line and on the flat so the adventure begins... :)

Replies

• snookyjsnookyj Posts: 1,687 Officer
    Glad you made it Paul!!!! We'll be there in a couple weeks, definitely gotta get together for a kalik or three!!!
  • Yellowfin39Yellowfin39 Posts: 44 Deckhand
    Glad to hear of safe passage! Enjoy the trip! Keep us posted
  • ThumpThump Posts: 189 Deckhand
    This is by far the best thread on the forum! Glad its up and running! Better late then never! Tight Lines!
  • CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,777 Captain
    Well the tails we saw belonged to some real dinky bones... When I say dinky like a pound up to perhaps 2. Taking three of them we moved on and saw what we thought was the holy grail of tailing fish... Got on em only to find they were sandperch. Picked a few of them for grins. Swung in to Big Game club... Saw a boat come in with a fair catch of dolphin... Had a burger and back to sea crest... There a boat came in with a reasonable pick of strawberries and a big king from 40 miles south...
  • satbeachbillsatbeachbill Posts: 39 Deckhand
    Great thread..........................impatiently waiting for the next episode!
  • DirtyDuskyDirtyDusky Posts: 42 Deckhand
    love the thread...tight lines brother...
    2001 27 Contender
    Twin 200 HPDI's
    Well we got on the flat early... Somebody working the area we wanted to work so we gave them some space... They were a couple hundred feet off the "hot line" and we had to just wait for them to leave before sliding in. Those fiftenn minutes or so meant the difference between success and failure... Fresh feed sites and taqiling fish just too far ahead to catch up to made for a long hard wade... We had a few fish we baited but angles and set up was bad. As we waded back to our start point I baited a group of five bigger class fish than we usually see here in Bimini...
    Theres a reason they got big. They were smart ones and although a pretty good distance away they saw me cast and spooked... We hit a couple other spots but stained water at least for us doesn't usually hold much for us. Today was no different.
    We got up on another favorite hot spot. Things looked right but weather was going away quick and hard to see. As we got up in the lee a little more visibility improved. Saw most everything but bones. Got to the end of the lee on a white sandy spot and staked up. Tossing a little chum we hoped fish would show. And they soon did. Only problem was they had no intention of eating. Shrimp, conch, jigs were all ignored. They came right into it and swam in tight circles round em but would not eat.... I'm guessing the weather might involve dropping barometer and had em shut off.
    Oh well... Can't beat a few hours wading and floating around in gin clear water. There is something just so cool about a little bitty lemon shark doing figure eights between your legs or seeing just the eyes of a sleeping ray... We set up on another spot and beat up a hand full of sand perch for lunch... So thats the day so far...
  • 2fastlx2fastlx Posts: 407 Deckhand
    Sounds like a relaxing day. Can you snap a pic of these sand perch you speak of?
    Will try to tomorrow. Don't like to bring camera on inflatable... We call em sand perch. I've heard em called mojara or "mahooa"...

Afternoon dive we found some muttons but way too spooky to get close to. Found bugs but out of season... Couple conch from this morn diced up for a snack...

Now for the ugly part. Somebody has to be frigging kidding me! They cancelled the tournament at the end of next month we were signed up for and the real reason for making this trip. Boss is not gonna be a happy camper but , Hey, I didn't do it... Just hope it doesn't effect my job security or possibly involve the boss pulling the plug after the first trip that starts tuesday...
    This is the part of being a captain that people don't think about when they get the urge to want to be one...
  • Flyers UpFlyers Up Posts: 655 Officer
    Hi Paul or complete!! We have never met but I hope to meet you some day during my adventures to the Bahamas chain. I am an old salt born and raised in northern west Miami and kind of new to this forum. I find your threads amusing and informational. Not to compare you with Flip but the way you tell your stories reminds me of the old walkers cay chronicles just great stuff, It shows you have a real passion for fishing and all that goes with it. Keep the updates coming and tight lines!!!
    Oh and sorry about the canceled tournament…
  • 2fastlx2fastlx Posts: 407 Deckhand
    Compleat wrote: »
    Will try to tomorrow. Don't like to bring camera on inflatable... We call em sand perch. I've heard em called mojara or "mahooa"...

Ahh ok, I figured those were what you were talking about. No need for a pic. Get out there and drag some baits, tell the boss you need to do some R&D:cool:
    Dolphin in front of the cut but brutal rain made that ride short... Got back and took the spare wheels we brought along out and stored on land... Maybe this boat will behave like she should with them off here. Where they were was worst possible spot for this weight sensitive girl. THat and she was far too close to important hoses and lines under deck to feel good about on a safety level...

Havn't heard from owner about tourney cancelation... Wonder if the directors contacted him. I havn't yet... Too much other stuf to get right and clean before dealing with that ugly "detail"...
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,214 AG
    I round the bend, Mike and Pat already to grab lines as I slide into the Seacrest slip...

I'm envious..........
    Seeing quite a few more good dolphin on the table by those willing to brave the rain today... winds perking but fish are in the lee of the island...
    Afternoon more exciting as it gets later... Reports of blues being raised. Then reports of one caught... Then a kinda sad story on on one. On Skip Gentry's boat they bowed one up about 550... Two and a half hours on it and as it got to the leader the anglers wrist dislocated! Rod dropped fish lost and angler down... :O
  • Eduardo SánchezEduardo Sánchez Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Thanks for taking the time to post. Almost feels like I'm there as I read your day's account.
    Talked to Skipper last night about his mishap. Said it was a real heart breaker. Man I guess was pushin 70 and fish was one of a life time. Both mate and he could hear the mans wrist "pop" over the sounds of the engines. Rod flew and man fell out of chair all at once. Thank goodness that it was only a wrist. 50 international can be replaced. People can't.
    I played with tarpon and gathered pilchards deep into the night before the rain came hard. We got couple inches in night and couple more at least in last couple hours. More water above us than below! Decided not to burn fuel but quite a few went out. Blowin hard but in lee where the fish are its fishable... at least where the rain slows up enough to see the spread... Deck hand over at beach snorkling... 'm chasing leaks and keeping bunks and cushions dry as I can...
    Worn out fighting rain, cleaning, getting ready for boss... Good dinner up on the hill... 35 knots with rain no fun but decided to try a little off the shore bottom fishing... Rays and squirrelfish were all that cooperated but better than sitting and doing nothing... :)
  • snookyjsnookyj Posts: 1,687 Officer
    Crazy story about the wrist...like you said though, better the rod lost than the angler!!! It must be pouring buckets over there...i know it is over here in miami. Thanks for the updates...like Eduardo said, almost feel like i'm there ;)
    After fishing last night the weather went from big suck to full on nasty. Blew I guess close to 45-even 50... Added 6 more inches of rain... I was lucky that I sourced the leaks we have getting water to the cabin between squalls yesterday not a lot of issues in the night. Internet dead til a while ago and spotty at best...
    Talked to boss man and hes in great spirtits for his arrival tomorrow late... Suddenly the internet starts working better, the wind has dropped to 25-30 and almost trying to toss some sun... Even better is he's still comming for the tourney dates. To hell with BGC we'll have our own onboard tourney... :):):)
    Smudge on the horizon...
    bim2012_002.jpg

It all comes clear...
    bim2012_003.jpg

Now add 4 days of this...
    bim2012_004.jpg

Even this little guy came all the way in the cabin to get out of it...
    bim2012_009.jpg

How much rain have we had? From midnight to 10:AM...
    bim2012_011.jpg

What happens when the rain quits... :)
    bim2012_010.jpg
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,123 Admiral
    when the rain stops the wind starts blowing then it starts to rain again

we had a flock of sand pipers vist us during the lull on highborn, if i can ever upload some video i will post it.
  • Lazy BonesLazy Bones Posts: 941 Officer
    If your boss is hell bent on fishing a tourney, the Mike Schmidt tourney will be fished out of there in a couple of weeks. Love the thread.
    We're here til June 3rd... He's here starting tomorrow til the 5th... Then come back the 28th. I have other people here from the 12th to the 19th... Dates? Bimini Bay I guess... Can we leave from elsewhere?
    We are now at Big Game... Good tackle out and clean and shiny... :)
    The rain quit and wind laid down... boss man must be getting near... He has uncanny luck like that. Did I say clean? I recommend that if you wish to view Mirage in her slip that you first get a radiation suit and welders helmet... :)

Oh by the way ... last nights dock fishing was blue runners and jumped a tarpon...
    Having a ball at the cleaning table ... catching fresh horse ballyhoos... playin tag with the jaws and cudas... Waiting on the boss's plane... delayed now two hours...
  • TNTTNT Posts: 33 Deckhand
    Good luck tomorrow Paul. Home you get some blues for bossman. Did u get my last PM? Karma is a ****!!!

Tedd
  • Lazy BonesLazy Bones Posts: 941 Officer
    We're here til June 3rd... He's here starting tomorrow til the 5th... Then come back the 28th. I have other people here from the 12th to the 19th... Dates? Bimini Bay I guess... Can we leave from elsewhere?

http://www.cff.org/Chapters/palmbeach/index.cfm?ID=18318&blnShowBack=True&idContentType=1322&Event=18318

Fishing is May 17/18/19, Bimini Bay. Wahoo/tuna/dolphin format. I don't think it matters where you stay, only where/when you weigh fish.
    Things got crazy after last post at cleaning table... Started with a pile of horse hoos to use tomorrow...
    bim2012_013.jpg

We were playing with some jaws fish when a big big bull cruised in. With him was some cobias... Sammy bowed up a small one. Skip Gentry happened to be standing there with a fly rod and a nice one swallowed it... The fish had the edge against 8 pound tippet my deckhand got the call to grab Skips skiff and take chase! They chased it to native cut before taking the 20 pound prize... :)
    bim2012_015.jpg

Were looking good in the slip loaded for bear hunting in the morn...
    bim2012_016.jpg
  • quickreleasequickrelease Posts: 287 Officer
    Its cool seeing the cobes in there, last time we were there Ben was talking about cobe fishing and 2 minutes later behind the boat up pops a bull a shark with a cobia on it. Threw a jig at it wasnt interested
    Quickrelease_1298509_n.jpg