Home Ask the Law!

age and limits.

MilkManDanMilkManDan Posts: 34 Deckhand
At what age do kids count as a limit? My daughter is almost 5 and can reel in her own fish. Can I count her as a person fishing and part of the limit? I can't find anything on www.myfwc.com

Thanks,

Replies

• Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    Interesting question. In lobster diving you are supposed to catch your own lobsters and not use someone else's limit. I have heard that FWC officers don't really make a big deal about asking folks who caught what limit but at the same time if you tell the officer that you caught more than your limit he/she might make an issue of it.

If the child can harvest then he/she can legally catch a limit of fish/lobs or whatever. If there is an infant who obviously cannot harvest then I am pretty sure that you are not able to make a case that the infant harvested anything and you might have some challenges if you don't have enough harvestors on board to account for all your fish.
  • NOAA-EnforcementNOAA-Enforcement Posts: 202 Moderator
    The child would be allowed a bag limit in federal waters.
    My purpose on this site is to help everyone understand Federal Fishery Regulations and to provide information. Working with the Florida Sportsman is a collateral (volunteer) duty I asked for and enjoy; I will only give you an answer that I’m willing to put my name on and stand behind. Sometimes that means checking with other agents/offices in the area of concern.
    Please Stay Safe And Have A Wonderful Day.
    Special Agent Allan Coker
    NOAA's Office For Fishery Law Enforcement
  • APEAPE Posts: 973 Officer
    I think they use the wording of actively harvesting or attempting to harvest. So if she can cast and reel in a rod she should be just fine. Just don't answer beyond the questions asked, like who caught what or how many? She might get you busted if she says dad caught all of the keepers today and I didn't catch any big fish.