Home Tropics

FISHING IN VIRGIN GORDA, BVI IN AUGUST

Never EnoughNever Enough Posts: 8 Greenhorn
My wife and I are going to Virgin Gorda the end of August for our 20 yr anniversary. While she is hangin on the beach I thought that I'd check out the marlin fishery. Can anyone recommend a charter and also tell me if the Boy Scout tourney extends that far to the North Drop. I have emailed a local charter company but have not heard back.

Replies

• the other tomthe other tom Posts: 123 Deckhand
    I chartered a guy with a white 28' Hydrasport who is well known in Virgin Gorda. He will pick you up anywhere in North Sound. His name was Joe and he was reccomended by the dockmaster at Leverick Bay. His tackle was new (Tiagra 50s) and we trolled a good spread of ballys and Ilander/Ballys. Caught a wahoo, some nice mahi, and a sail but did not get a shot at a Blue or White. We fished to the East of Necker Island and around the SE side of Virgin Gorda. There is a seamount about 10 miles out there, if its calm enough that is the place. He showed up on time (almost), with a cooler full of beer, fresh ballyhoo and some bread/snacks. I was staying at a house in Leverick and he pulled up to my dock.
  • Never EnoughNever Enough Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the awesome insight. Seems as though the fishery is near by. Do you mind me asking where you stayed and do you know if North Drop is bvi or usvi water?
  • the other tomthe other tom Posts: 123 Deckhand
    I was staying at Leverick for a week and then over at the new Yacht Club Costa Smerelda near the head of North Sound. The North Drop is a fairly continuous shelf, but wanders off to the NE near the Eastern islands. You would have to go North past Anegada to get to the deep stuff by going north. On the SE side the drop is far closer (and deeper). The area is beautiful.
  • palmettorespalmettores Posts: 86 Deckhand
    What time of year were you there Tom? I was there in Feb and we caught some tuna. Heading back next month and hoping I am not in between the season for mahi/tuna and the summer billfish. We fished that mount you mentioned and look forward to trying it again.
  • Never EnoughNever Enough Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Thanks again for the info Tom, but...my wife is now considering St Lucia. Any info from there? I have researched a few charterters but haven't heard back yet.