Home Ask the Law!

Daily bag limit vs possession limit

cubbies24cubbies24 Posts: 8 Greenhorn
Hey guys I dont live in Florida but am coming in end of week and cant find online. Id like to take back some filets with me but cant find if there is a possession limit or is it just the daily bag limit? For instance, If I was staying for a week then I could bring back 7 daily limits of snapper back? Clarification would be great. Thanks

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,979 Moderator
    Here's the answer from another thread
    Roc N Rol wrote: »
    Here is a letter from FWC that Sopchoppy posted in another thread that pertains to this subject.
    Thank you for contacting the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. The response to your concerns appears below.

You may follow the link below to login and check the status of your account.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.
    Click here to visit the Ask FWC Web site.

Subject
    Transporting cleaned and frozen fish
    Discussion Thread
    Response (DLE-JF) 04/22/2010 08:56 AM
    In general, the daily bag limits set by commission rule for saltwater fishing are for a calendar day (24 hour period from midnight to midnight). These limits are also possession limits. Therefore, it is illegal to possess more than one day’s bag limit "while in, on, or above the waters of the State or on any dock, pier, bridge, beach or other fishing site adjacent to such waters" with regard to most species.

In Florida's fresh waters, a bag or creel limit is the number of fish an angler can harvest (keep) per day, with a two-day possession limit at a base camp, house boat, or when transporting prior to freezing. Things to keep in mind are: Once the fish are processed and placed in a freezer (not a cooler) at a residence (e.g., their permanent home, a mobile home or motel catering to anglers), they become a food product. From that point on there is no longer a limit on them. So for instance, if someone is fishing all winter and keeps processing their catch and adding fish to their freezer, then puts them on ice to transport someplace else, they can exceed the possession limit.Hopefully this clarifies the confusion you had about transporting. If you have further questions, please contact the Division of Freshwater Fisheries Management at 850-488-0331 or the Division of Marine Fisheries Management at 850-487-0554.

Thank you,
    FWC Customer Service