"Regal" Cardinal

barlow46barlow46 Posts: 312 Deckhand
Thought this guy had that "Regal" look. Suggestions appreciated.
East Coast Florida

Replies

• WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,414 AG
    God capture. Those little guys are nervous and don't sit still long.
    Which ever one(s) of you little boys complained about quotes in the signature should be ashamed of yourself. :blowkiss

Instead of complaining to the moderators you should just quit playing on this board.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,043 AG
    God capture. Those little guys are nervous and don't sit still long.

Usually if you stay put for a while, they seem to get use to you. We have oodles of them up where I live.

Did you know the undercoating of red feathers is all black?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • SeaNoEvilSeaNoEvil Posts: 126 Deckhand
    Great photo!
    Barlow, did you take this as a *.jpg or a *.raw. Was your white balance set to automatic? I would like to see a revised photo with the white balance pushed just a tad.
    Which ever one(s) of you little boys complained about quotes in the signature should be ashamed of yourself. :blowkiss

Instead of complaining to the moderators you should just quit playing on this board.
  • barlow46barlow46 Posts: 312 Deckhand
    I took this with "P" setting. Here is exif on the shot after reducing size for posting:

Color Space: Uncalibrated
    Compressed Bits Per Pixel: 2
    Contrast: Soft
    Custom Rendered: Normal process
    Date Time Digitized: 2012:04:09 14:54:35
    Date Time Original: 2012:04:09 14:54:35
    Digital Zoom Ratio: 1
    Exif Version: 2.2
    Exposure Bias Value: -1
    Exposure Mode: Auto exposure
    Exposure Program: Normal program
    Exposure Time: 1 / 200
    Flash: Flash did not fire
    FlashPix Version: 1.0
    FNumber: 8
    Focal Length: 300
    Focal Length In 35mm Film: 450
    ISO Speed Ratings: 100
    Light Source: unknown
    Max Aperture Value: 5
    Metering Mode: Pattern
    Pixel X Dimension: 800
    Pixel Y Dimension: 706
    Saturation: Normal
    Scene Capture Type: Standard
    Sensing Method: One-chip color area sensor
    Sharpness: Soft
    Subject Distance Range: unknown
    Sub-second Time: 81
    Sub-second Time Digitized: 81
    Sub-second Time Original: 81
    User Comment:
    White Balance: Auto white balance
    Flash Compensation: 0
    Image Number: 25792
    Lens ID: 876384014
    Lens Model: AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED

I am using IPhoto to edit and then exporting into "Preview" to reduce size for posting.
    East Coast Florida
    Here it is after I did some more with the edit program.
    East Coast Florida
  • FinsatiableFinsatiable Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    I prefer the edited version
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    Did you try sharpening it some? I'd like to see that reflection in his eye crisper, I think that would set it off nicely!
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
    Sharpened to 47%
    East Coast Florida
    Your metadata says you are on auto white balance. What happens if you move the WB to daylight? Does the bird get redder? Point being, these mixed light situations is where the light mater can freak out the WB logic. Play with it a little.

Went back into edit and screwed it up royally. So, I started over and still not what I want. It may be time to change my basic editing program (iphoto) and switch over to my picasa. Been using iphoto for a long time but it is limited as am I at this point. Time to hit the books some more. Thanks for the input.
    East Coast Florida
    You can only work with the shot you took and editing software can't "retake" the shot for you. Get it to the best you can and move on to the next shot!
    Menzies, I think you may have missed the purpose of my post. I am basically a "beginner" when it comes to editing pics and was looking for suggestions (see first post in this thread) on how to improve the shot. I can understand about "moving on" when I can't do any more but was trying to respond to WaterEngineer's last post. Thanks for the input though.
    East Coast Florida
    I understand, but sometimes you can get "too close" to a shot you have been working a long time. If you switch to another shot with different challenges your learning curve will get steeper.
    What was this photo taken with? Do you have a *.raw file? If so, send it to me.