Home Ask the Law!

Can you shoot flying fish?

nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
Every once in a while when we are far offshore we will see flying fish in massive schools. Always wanted to use some fresh ones for bait.
don't want them to alive. Is its legal to take a shot gun out there and stun them then scoop them up for bait?
would like to know before I do something that will get me fined.

Replies

• (ex)lip-ripper(ex)lip-ripper Posts: 195 Officer
    gee, I dunno if there is a hunting license for a fish:BUNNY

but I'm pretty sure the gestapo,....... err FWC would bust ya for this:

<< myfwc.comMainGeneral Info Basic Recreational Saltwater Fishing Regulations

Recreational gear
    Hook-and-line gear

Hook-and-line anglers must tend their gear at all times to prevent people, marine life and shore life from becoming entangled in the line or injured by the hook. Also, it is against the law to intentionally discard any monofilament netting or line into or onto state waters. Monofilament line can entangle birds, marine mammals, marine turtles and fish, often injuring or killing them.

Nets

The following types of nets may be used for recreational purposes in Florida waters:

•Bully nets (for lobster only) no greater than 3 feet in diameter.
    •Frame nets and push nets (for shrimp only) no greater than 16 feet in perimeter.
    •Hand held landing or dip nets no greater than 96 inches in perimeter.
    •Cast nets measuring 14 feet or less stretched length (stretched length is defined as the distance from the horn at the center of the net with the net gathered and pulled taut, to the lead line). Cast nets may be used as harvesting gear for the following species only: black drum, bluefish, cobia, flounder, mullet, Florida pompano, red drum, sheepshead, shrimp, Spanish mackerel, spotted seatrout, weakfish and unregulated species.
    •Beach or haul seines measuring no larger than 500 square feet of mesh area, no larger than 2 inches stretched mesh size, not constructed of monofilament, and legibly marked at both ends with the harvester’s name and address if a Florida resident. Non-residents using beach or haul seines for recreational purposes are required to have a commercial saltwater products license and legibly mark the seine at both ends with the harvester’s saltwater products license number. Beach or haul seines may be used as harvesting gear for the following species only: black drum, bluefish, cobia, flounder, mullet, Florida pompano, red drum, sheepshead, shrimp, Spanish mackerel, weakfish and unregulated species.

Explosives, etc.

The use of powerheads, explosives, chemicals or the discharge of firearms into the water to kill or harvest marine life is prohibited in state waters.

even tho you are not directly discharging INTO the water, they will say that all the pellets fell into the water,.......

are the pellets ,..... GASP!!!!,...... made of lead?
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,352 Officer
    Dont believe there is anything in the federal regs against it. FWC regs are state water in fed water you can use powerhead's and shoot fish to dispatch them before bringing in the boat. I here they are hard to hit though, with the rolling boat
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    You'll shoot your eye out!!
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    Done it several times - it's great fun as long as it is not too rough.
  • TheRealMcCoyTheRealMcCoy Posts: 50 Deckhand
    I would love to try this. Sounds like a blast.
  • shempshemp Posts: 613 Officer
    pretty sure it's legal but be careful. And by all means clean your gun later; that salt air'll do a number.

I wouldn't shoot into the water at too great an angle b/c as i'm lead to believe shot can basically richochet back off the water right back at you. I'm no expert, but that's what I've been told in the past.
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    Can you shoot flying fish?

If you lead them well enough.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,979 Moderator
    And we all saw how Gary leads flying objects during last years FRA Sporting Clays fundraiser. :machinegun Sure wish Denny wold do it again. That as a lot of fun. :thumbsup
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    That really was a lot of fun, Jack. We do need to do that again.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • Bite 1Bite 1 Posts: 489 Deckhand
    **** right And shoot all those baby killing sea gulls as well. They eat your bait and all the little turtles that try to make it to the surf.. Save the Turtles. Notice I didn't say Save the the manatee. Bite1