Home Tropics

Maldives??? Anybody been there?

Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
I was bored.....then got a wild hair (you know where) and started looking at more exotic fishing spots. I came across the Maldives and the 26 atolls are gorgeous!!!

Just wondeering if anyone had been there. My research shows a HUGE range of prices for the some 130 hotels that dot the islands. Prices range from about $60 a night, to well over $1000.

Any flats fishing there? They mention all sorts of blue water species, but nothing in the shallows. However it seems I remember that someone fished for bonefish but more than that I can't say.
.......Rick

Replies

• Night MovesNight Moves Posts: 32 Deckhand
    I too constantly dream of exotic fishing destinations. Maldives is absolutely incredible. They have tons of bonefish and the fishing on the reefs is great for GTs, Red Snapper and all the indo-pacific species. Its a poppers and jiggers dream trip.

It's an expensive trip due to how far away it is. Downfalls are political instability right now and Islam. Not the best of combinations.
    "KULEANA"
    2008 Worldcat 270TE W/T225 Hondas
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Wow, thanks Night Moves....I would be makng this a side trip from Bangkok, so perhaps the airfare won't be such a shock. Being there are so many atolls, are there one or two with better bonefishing? In most places, the reef seems to be less than 100 yds. from the beach. So I am thinking this is very akin to Christmas Island.

Being from Guam, have you ever fished in Thailand? I am trying to research also, the possibilities for barramundi. I know that they exist, just not in the same numbers or size as in Australia. Then again, 90% of Oz's really big barras, come from fresh water (Lake Tinaroo) so it wouldn't be that much different. I have been looking around Phuket and Krabi.

Thanks again.
    .......Rick
  • Night MovesNight Moves Posts: 32 Deckhand
    Never fished Thailand. Heard they have some good Sailfishing there and the freshwater fishing is amazing with all the big cats and large exotic freshwater species.

It's been a while since I was looking into the Maldives so I don't recall a bunch. Check out Nakatchafushi atoll. I remember reading a bonefish report from there.

If you're willing to go to Maldives, you should consider the Andaman islands.
    "KULEANA"
    2008 Worldcat 270TE W/T225 Hondas
  • Lucky LimeyLucky Limey Posts: 62 Deckhand
    visited an Island called Komandoo - perfect best vacation ever, great diving and fishing.Caught wahoo in 35 feet of water !!
    I rented a local boat called a Dhoni as that was all that was around the crew made the trip they really knew their stuff.Plenty of tuna too but all pretty small.as mentioned earlier poppers were the method of choice and a big GT on light gear will bring a smile to your face and a hurting on your arms.lobsters all over the place too, i caught fish and lobsters and the chef cooked it for all the guests - great people very friendly.fly into Male and then a 20 minutes hop on a sea plane - perfect in every way.top tip book direct and save a lot of cash.enjoy:wink