How long have you stayed up in a stand?

1FSM1FSM Posts: 114 Officer
What is the longest you have stayed up in a tree stand in one day?

I just got off the phone with a friend who shot a great looking 9 point buck last year while hunting on a lease near Plains, Georgia.
He said he went up the tree stand at 5:00 in the morning and finally took the shot at around 6:00PM just as the sun was going down.
He said he spent the whole day up there because he knew this buck would come by sooner or later and if he didn't take the buck on that day he had planned to spend the next day up in the stand too.

I've spend like 5 hours up in the stand in the morning and then came down and spent the day in the camp and then went back out for 3-4 hours in the afternoon evening so about 8-9 hours total in one day. Longest I've spent in one stretch was from about 5:00AM to 12:00 Noon so about 7 hours at one time.

How long have you stayed up?

Replies

• AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain
    I can't sit that long in a regular ole ladder stand. My back, butt and legs just can't take it. I am squirming within 3 hours. Put me in a ground blind with a comfy camp chair and a few pb&j's, and I will sit daylight till dark with no problem at all, and have done so many times over the years

I have sat all day in my climber but I get to squirming the last couple hours. I need a break midday
  • DONY 1DONY 1 Posts: 557 Officer
    I'll sit all day when hunting big cypress by myself. I leave a cooler at the base of my tree on a rope when I climb up. Fresh subs and sodas at will.
    Don't cost nuttin to be nice
  • gator4evergator4ever Posts: 2,566 Captain
    I did it once. Paid off shot an 11 pointer at 215 yards at 5:15pm. It wasnt easy but I knew that deer would come by eventually and I didnt want to take the chance of leaving my scent walking in twice during the day.

I agree it is near impossible to do it on a ladder stand.
    "sometimes it's OK just to kill a little time" my grandpa 1972
  • gamehunter1023gamehunter1023 Posts: 467 Officer
    Depends on time of year but during the rut i sit all day. I think the latest i have killed a deer was 11:30 other than the usual early morning or last hour in evening. But i have seen alot of deer in the middle of day. bucks chasing or singles just searching. one of the reasons i can sit all day is i use a gunslinger climber cant beat the comfort
  • huntmstrhuntmstr Posts: 6,290 Admiral
    I actually spent all weekend in a stand once, from 4 am on Saturday morning until mid-day Sunday. The buck I had been hunting had learned to pattern our movements. I never left the stand until he showed. When everyone in camp left to go home and I was the only one left (I guess he thought I had gone too) he came by the stand towards the corn field and died around 3 pm in the afternoon as he walked under the stand to go eat. It was the last weekend of the season in Alabama 2001. Killed him with my bow.

It was a homemade stand I had welded out of steel. 3' long by 2' wide with a padded sling seat, foot rest, shooting rail and padded arm rests. The lock-on stand sat 28' off the ground and weighed nearly 75 lbs., but man was it comfy.
    Bushnell, Primos and Final Approach Pro Staff. Proud member of the Fab Five, Big Leaugers and Bobble Head 4.

I had you pissed off at hello.
  • 1FSM1FSM Posts: 114 Officer
    huntmstr wrote: »
    I actually spent all weekend in a stand once, from 4 am on Saturday morning until mid-day Sunday.

How did you answer the nature call?
    I would have had to answer about 10 times.

BTW. GREAT looking deer!!!!
    I kept a couple gallon jugs in the stand suspended from a rope, one for copenhagen and one for #1. I drank water, ate granola bars and protein bars. When I have to, I can hold a deuce a long time. But you can bet it was good to get back to a crapper when it was all done.
    Bushnell, Primos and Final Approach Pro Staff. Proud member of the Fab Five, Big Leaugers and Bobble Head 4.

• Nips049Nips049 Posts: 348 Deckhand
    depends if im seeing deer in the afternoon. while scouting my quota hunt from last year, all the bucks i saw were between 11am and 3ish. Hot as hell august heat and all the deer where running everywhere during the day. Every day i hunted that quota i sat minimum 10 hrs. would sit longer but cant hold a crap that long.
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    an old buddy of mine in tallahassee took me to his Ga ranch..he dropped me off at 5AM came back at 12...from that point on I never sat in a stand that long again. Up north during the rut, we routinely get in about 4PM and get out about 9 PM and after a week of that I need a good chiropractor.

Nowadays I prefer to walk a bit sit a bit on private land and hunt witht he wind in my face.If the wind shifts,time to go home and catch a nap.

You know Chuck, suckin up a deuce promotes die riticulitis!!!!!!!!
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    Man I usually get there an hour before sun rise and then leave at around 11 or 12 and then come back at around 2:00 until dark, maybe that is why I haven’t had any luck, just need to stay put.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain
    huntmstr wrote: »
    I kept a couple gallon jugs in the stand suspended from a rope, one for copenhagen and one for #1. I drank water, ate granola bars and protein bars. When I have to, I can hold a deuce a long time. But you can bet it was good to get back to a crapper when it was all done.
    After holding one for 2 days, I bet you blew the sidewalls out of it
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain
    I've done daylight to dark but daylight until mid-afternoon the following day...I'm not so sure about all that.

Chuck,

How many deer spooked from any falling scent during the middle of the night as the temps were falling while you were in the tree?
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    I pulled an all day sit many years ago while hunting in Jawja, but have no intention on doing it again. 4-5 hours is about my limit in a ladder stand, and up to 6 in my climber.
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • down4dacountdown4dacount Posts: 2,598 Captain
    I've done the whole day day thing once or twice , didn't get squat . I usually sit 20-30 minutes before light till 10-11 am , then back in stand between 2-3 pm till dark . The last few years been a mix of stalking and treestand hunting . It depends the area I'm hunting .
    ShotKam Pro Staff
    Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me
    Check out my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/Down4dacount1?feature=mhee
    [IMG][/img]
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 13,635 AG
    4-5 hrs max but it's not always the first or last 4-5 hrs of the day. My 3 biggest and most mature deer were killed at 2:30pm 10:30am and 5:50pm. All during the rut.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    omegafoo wrote: »
    How many deer spooked from any falling scent during the middle of the night as the temps were falling while you were in the tree?

None that I heard or know of. I actually had several deer cross the creek to my left and come right past me on their way to the corn at night. That buck was one of them. I had a red flashlight with me and used it to scope deer as they passed. That buck came past me at a little past 3 am. I could hear him splashing in the creek as he approached. He rubbed on a cedar tree 30 yrds north of me (perfect broadside shot) and then proceeded on to the corn field's edge. He stood there for at least 20 minutes, then turned around and went back across the creek. I guess he could see the lights on in the camp (which was on top of the hill about 1 1/4 east of the corn field) and hear the generator running. It was as if that deer felt as long as anyone was in camp, he was not leaving the safety of that swamp bottom. When the last truck left camp around 1:00 pm, it wasn't long before the deer started filtering back into the fields. When I shot that buck, there were several does out in the corn and a couple smaller bucks.

• omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain
    I wouldn't have slept a wink that night. As every one would come by, I would be scoping them out. I would have been asleep up until the trucks left the camp the next morning and, my luck, he would have walked under me while I was sleeping.
    I didn't sleep much, and it was cold and damp. Thankfully, I had a poncho to keep the damp off me and a plastic tarp roof strapped to the tree overhead on a metal frame. Every time I heard splashing in the creek I sat up and strained to see and hear. It was nerve wrecking. I haven't done it since.

• GrillaGGrillaG Posts: 1,260 Officer
    3-4 hours max. :grin
  • Capt. Kevin BrotzCapt. Kevin Brotz Posts: 733 Officer
    14hrs during the rut. I killed a stud 4 1/2 the next day at 11am. There is a lot of truth to bucks patterning hunting pressure. There are some kool trail camera studies that show the increase in movement consistently after hunters leave the woods. It is tough to stay in the stand past 10 but I feel that every minute that you can is well worth it.
    We are Glad to Help!!
    Email_Banner.jpg
    Build A Better Rod!