Finally got one to complete a crazy spring

Larry MacLarry Mac Posts: 5,465 Admiral
Because of health issues missed preseason scouting and almost the first three weeks-- started cold turkey w/o intel and it showed. If I had to choose plan A, I should have done B. The next day if I picked B I should have chosen A. When I finally began gobblers were henned up. Went 3-4 hunts w/o any gobbling at all. Then had a hunt where gobbler was coming to our decoys when 5 cowboys on horseback, 6 cattle dogs barking and 50 head of cattle arrive on the other side of the fence. Couple more hunts coyotes arrived-- once I had a bobcat stalking my decoy and at the same time a coyote raced in and knocked the decoy over. Typical turkey excuses . Ironically got only bird on Friday the 13th. A two year old smallest bird I have killed but he ate just as good. 5 inch beard . He never came out of strut behind my $90 Avian blowup hen decoy for over 10 minutes before he moved enough I could kill him and not also my decoy . That ended my Florida season( family have me busy this week). Can't complain-- I finally have my health back. And I get to look forward to a 3 day hunt in Ohio in a week with John hopefully getting my first Eastern.I do not have a pic of my turkey but perhaps John can post it for me. I used a Browning 12 ga BPS, Indian Creek choke (.675), with a 3.5 " Hevi-13 #6 shotshell.

Replies