Video of my second bird - Warning: Long

DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 2,010 Captain
Here is the video of my second bird. Don't give me too hard a time about the bad calling. It was a wet day and my slate call was a little moist. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. :cool:

th_NFLTurkeyHunt2012.jpg

Replies

• BatemasterBatemaster Posts: 1,701 Captain
    Very nice! Congrats!
  • DONY 1DONY 1 Posts: 557 Officer
    Congrats!
    Don't cost nuttin to be nice
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,590 Admiral
    My blood pressure went up just watching..............
  • Awesome video Rob!!! Guess the calling worked and got you a great 2nd bird. Good shot too! I'm going to have to try turkey hunting again sometime. I've only been one day, but did enjoy it.
  • ReelAffair23ReelAffair23 Posts: 788 Officer
    Congrats Rob!! Great video, also enjoyed the Zeppelin music!
  • JW_Ivey01JW_Ivey01 Posts: 154 Officer
    Nice job Rob, sweet bird.
  • Humble hunterHumble hunter Posts: 446 Officer
    Real sweet video. You are far more patient than I. Bird would have been dead real quick with me. Ofcourse I never have tried to video a hunt. Congrats on a nice bird.
  • ChasinwhitetailChasinwhitetail Posts: 123 Deckhand
    Great hunt! Looks like you had the perfect setup there. What videocamera are you using? I've been looking at some of the GoPro's to maybe use this season. Congrats!
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    trotsky wrote: »
    Real sweet video. You are far more patient than I. Bird would have been dead real quick with me. Ofcourse I never have tried to video a hunt. Congrats on a nice bird.

This ^^^^^
    I guess I'm just wired to shoot as soon as a bird gives me the opportunity in range.

Congrats on a job well done!
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    Wow, incredible.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 2,010 Captain
    Thanks guys. I was mad at myself for missing the kill when videoing my first bird so I didn't zoom in quite as much on this one to make sure I had time to get it done before he walked out of the frame.
    Gino1964 wrote: »
    I'm going to have to try turkey hunting again sometime. I've only been one day, but did enjoy it.

Gino - any time brother. You know I'll go with you although I can't guarantee decent calling. LOL
    Congrats Rob!! Great video, also enjoyed the Zeppelin music!

Thanks Jose. One of these days I'll break down and buy some real background music. :cool:
    JW_Ivey01 wrote:
    Nice job Rob, sweet bird.

Thanks John. Did you get out in GA at all? Give me a yell when you have a minute.
    trotsky wrote:
    You are far more patient than I. Bird would have been dead real quick with me. Ofcourse I never have tried to video a hunt. Congrats on a nice bird. .

When he first popped out, he was probably 45 yards which is doable with my shotgun but I knew as long as the hens were in front of me, he wasn't going anywhere and I knew I had a good chance at the 30 yard shot which I prefer of course. I was starting to sweat the fact that the gobblers wouldn't separate for a shot. I was a little worried the birds were still too tight when I did take the shot but I wasn't letting them get any further.
    What videocamera are you using? I've been looking at some of the GoPro's to maybe use this season.

It's a Canon HV30. Widescreen/HD. Picture looks great even blown up on a big screen. I need an external mic because I have the older model with the tapes and when it is quiet you can hear the tape drive. Probably wouldn't be an issue with the newer ones that have a hard drive or write to a memory stick. I got mine on clearance and its been a great camera for the money. I painted it camoflage this year because last year some of the silver accents and writing on it was drawing the turkey's attention.
  • down4dacountdown4dacount Posts: 2,598 Captain
    Awesome video Rob , heavy breathing there at the end before the shot .BTW what's up with the chihuahua call at the end . LMAO !!!!!!!!!!!! J/K
    again that was awesome , Congrats
    ShotKam Pro Staff
    Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me
    Check out my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/Down4dacount1?feature=mhee
    [IMG][/img]
    heavy breathing there at the end before the shot .BTW what's up with the chihuahua call at the end . LMAO !!!!!!!!!!!! J/K

My heart was about to jump out of my chest. In the excitement, I forgot to put my mouth call in so that was my imitation hen cluck at the end. :rotflmao
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    My heart was racing the entire time. Very good job on the video!
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • GlennGlenn GeorgiaPosts: 1,724 Captain
    Great video! Wish I could have seen some toms come in to me like that this year.
  • gamehunter1023gamehunter1023 Posts: 467 Officer
    Man i felt like i was in the blind. bad **** video. your heart rate jumped and breathing cranked up just awesome that we could hear ya getting amp'd up. another cool thing was the lightning at the end. congrats and sharing the video.
  • Bowd upBowd up Posts: 1,115 Officer
    Looks good Rob! gonna take the camera tomoro goin after that registry bird from this morning. hopefully I will be callin ya with some good news about 930.
    Still waitin on ya to edit the video of our hog bow hunt.
    congrats again
    ]
  • Nips049Nips049 Posts: 348 Deckhand
    great bird and nice lookin woods too
  • Larry MacLarry Mac Posts: 5,465 Admiral
    That was a great video-- thanks for posting-- that beard was dragging-- how long?
    Larry Mac wrote: »
    That was a great video-- thanks for posting-- that beard was dragging-- how long?

He had a 10" beard and 1" and 1 1/16" spurs. I assume that would be a 3 yr old bird?
  • Larry MacLarry Mac Posts: 5,465 Admiral
    He had a 10" beard and 1" and 1 1/16" spurs. I assume that would be a 3 yr old bird?

Yes at least
  • mmrun4itmmrun4it Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    I'm glad to see someone is having some luck! Nice video.
  • OVERENGINEEREDOVERENGINEERED Posts: 73 Deckhand
    DD,
    Not bad at all! That is a hard thing to accomplish by yourself. From my experience you don't very often get to video a gobbler for that long. All of my hunts seem to end up with not a lot of video footage. I always end up in some kind of thick place!. Anyway, good job. Keep up the good work.
    OverEngineered
    Thanks OE. The spot I'm in is blessed with a really good flock of birds. Last year I had a group of 13 jakes come by on opening day. Neighbor saw 15 gobblers together this year right before the season started and I assume it was the 13 jakes from last year plus the gobblers that made it through last year. Seems their nesting success has been pretty good the last few years with the dry conditions.