St. Petersburg wade fishing

Guys,

I recently moved to St. Pete and would really, really appreciate some tips on general places to wade fish, effective lures, etc. I grew up fishing freshwater in Pennsylvania, so I'm relatively new to saltwater, other than fishing on vacation. That said, I'm familiar enough with the basics, but just need some more specific direction and would prefer to stick with artificials.

Can you guys help me out? Thanks a million in advance...

Replies

• ShadowcastShadowcast Posts: 1,020 Officer
    Ft. DeSoto is calling your name. Check out Google Earth and start knocking off wading spots. It may take you a while to hit them all. Topwater plugs early in the morning, weedless jerkbaits, Mirr-O-Dines, weedless spoons as the day progresses. Moving water is key and so is finding mullet and wading birds. I like to wade on the lower end of the tides. There is a starting point for you.
    Capt. Jon Bull
    Shadowcast Charters
    Sales Rep - Ankona Boats, Salt Marsh Skiffs, Tavernier Skiff Company
    2018 Tavernier 17
  • anianoaniano Posts: 320 Officer
    FLNewbie wrote: »
    Guys,

I recently moved to St. Pete and would really, really appreciate some tips on general places to wade fish, effective lures, etc. I grew up fishing freshwater in Pennsylvania, so I'm relatively new to saltwater, other than fishing on vacation. That said, I'm familiar enough with the basics, but just need some more specific direction and would prefer to stick with artificials.

Can you guys help me out? Thanks a million in advance...

Pinellas Point also has some great areas to wade and usually not as crowded as DeSoto.

I'm not usually and artificial lure guy , primarily live bait, but I've found slugger tails to work very well near P. point for trout.
    www.scottdeitche.com
    Twitter- scottyyz
    Facebook - Author page

new book: Rogue Mobster: The Untold Story of Mark Silverman and the New England Mafia, out now!

Next Ybor City Mafia Tours - Fall 2012

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • barrynflabarrynfla Posts: 592 Officer
    If you're in north St. Pete, 4th St. is worth a shot. Can be good for trout, sometimes reds, occasional snook. Mirrolure Lil Johns aren't a bad lure there.

Although I've never fished there, I've read many good things about St. Joseph Sound.
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,030 AG
    x 2 on Ft DeSoto.

WHere in PA are ya from?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • FLNewbieFLNewbie Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the tips, guys!

Mango -- I'm from Pittsburgh. You from up there?
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,030 AG
    The burbs of Philly. My folks and alot of my relatives were from Pittsburg, Crafton, to be exact.

Where in St Pete are ya?

Let me guess, you're a Penguins fan? :grin :facepalm

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • FLNewbieFLNewbie Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    I'm between downtown and the Trop. Nooooo... A Philly fan!? I don't want to hear about that catastrophe of a game this past weekend! I lived with a bunch of guys from Philly in college (went to IUP)... They were okay other than claiming Wawa is better than Sheetz and rooting for the Eagles :rolleyes
  • tcustertcuster Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    Fish the flats on the north side of the Gandy. I usually just use skitter walkers or soft plastic jerk baits and catch trout reds and some snook out there
  • CodySCodyS Posts: 243 Officer
    Use Google Earth and you will find a bunch of new spots to try. Also if you go to the "historical imagery" feature on there you can view satellite images form the past. You can see the bottom much more clearer on the older images. Even though the bottom may have changed,it will give you a good start.