Home General Hunting

Turkey Hunting Accident - Public Service Announcement

Fin&FeatherFin&Feather Posts: 23 Greenhorn
Heard there was a turkey hunting accident on one of the Deseret leases this spring. Remember, always be sure of your target before you pull the trigger.

Replies

• flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    Yes there was. Terrible accident. Keep safe, guys!
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • bloodbathbloodbath Posts: 387 Officer
    It takes a real **** to shot someone thinking it's a turkey. GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZSS.
  • Derek ArsuaDerek Arsua Posts: 2,474 Officer
    it happens unfortunantly there will always be that guy that thinks he can shoot 80 or 100 yards or through a bush but in all reality is a turkey worth somebody's life and prison time?
  • BatemasterBatemaster Posts: 1,701 Captain
    I'm not sure of any prison time for a hunting accident, but injuring or killing a fellow hunter is terrible.
  • theoneandonly248theoneandonly248 Posts: 258 Deckhand
    The worse part about the accident was that the guy was carrying the bird over his shoulder upside down! Its scary that someone would shoot not knowing.
  • ChopperChopper Posts: 104 Officer
    This is the only one I've heard about.

Boy kills grandfather in turkey hunting accident
    4:23pm on Mar 19, 2012; Modified: 4:58pm on Mar 19, 2012

WAUCHULA -- Authorities say a 9-year-old boy fatally shot his grandfather in a central Florida hunting accident.
    The Hardee County Sheriff's Office reports that 69-year-old Kenneth Lindsey Beach and his grandson were hunting turkey Sunday morning. Officials say the boy accidentally shot Beach in the head.
    The Tampa Tribune (http://bit.ly/FWtdhs ) reports that Beach was pronounced dead by Hardee County Fire Rescue.

Read more here: http://www.bradenton.com/2012/03/19/3948926/boy-kills-grandfather-in-turkey.html#storylink=cpy
  • shempshemp Posts: 616 Officer
    ditto to what chopper said

Prayers to families

Be careful out there, guys!
  • BnTBnT Posts: 6,644 Admiral
    I heard someone got shot out on one of the morman leases this spring. Buddy said a guy was walking out with the turkey slung over his shoulder and another guy hunting the road shot at the bird while he was carrying it. Sounds crazy.
    "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day... Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard"
    gandrfab wrote: »
    Sharky is always clocky, bnt is sometimes sharky,
    sharky is sometimes bnt, but bnt is never clocky
  • wilburzwilburz Posts: 1,012 Officer
    they do make orange flags and bags for turkeys. might not be a bad idea. I am worried sometime that a jackhat will walk by my decoys and shot at them with me sitting behind them.

Happiness is a belt fed weapon!

• FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,880 Captain
    The Yahoos must have thought they were shooting a bird in Fly Down mode no doubt.........Straight Down mode

Never understood how a hen call could be mistaken for legal target......
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • launchpadlaunchpad Posts: 386 Officer
    Sounds like their may be two accidents cuz Wachulla is not Morman country. Be safe bird hunters because crap happens
    "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." Franklin D. Roosevelt
  • ShineShine Posts: 835 Officer
    Batemaster wrote: »
    I'm not sure of any prison time for a hunting accident, but injuring or killing a fellow hunter is terrible.

These cases get prosecuted from time-to-time around the country. It’s pretty rare, but when its case of "gross negligence.' IMO, any case where a shooter puts the pin on a person and pulls the trigger – grand jury should hear it. There is case up in Macintosh County Ga. where a man is indicted for his stepson’s hypothermia death that occurred while lost on a hunting trip. Prosecutors say the man left the boy in the woods while going to get help. Charged with murder.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1992-12-24/news/9203080413_1_michael-joseph-kelly-hunter-stephen-thoeming-turkey
  • Fin&FeatherFin&Feather Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    Chopper wrote: »
    This is the only one I've heard about.

Boy kills grandfather in turkey hunting accident
    4:23pm on Mar 19, 2012; Modified: 4:58pm on Mar 19, 2012

WAUCHULA -- Authorities say a 9-year-old boy fatally shot his grandfather in a central Florida hunting accident.
    The Hardee County Sheriff's Office reports that 69-year-old Kenneth Lindsey Beach and his grandson were hunting turkey Sunday morning. Officials say the boy accidentally shot Beach in the head.
    The Tampa Tribune (http://bit.ly/FWtdhs ) reports that Beach was pronounced dead by Hardee County Fire Rescue.

Read more here: http://www.bradenton.com/2012/03/19/3948926/boy-kills-grandfather-in-turkey.html#storylink=cpy

I think that was a different accident Chopper, it seems they are trying to keep this one on the downlow. Thats why I made the public service announcement.
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 fort Meade FLPosts: 4,354 Captain
    what lease was it
    living life as i like
    what lease was it

That's not important.

What is important, is that there are two families hurting right now. They need our prayers, not our judgements.
  • ChopperChopper Posts: 104 Officer
    Hunting is really a pretty safe sport but we all know accidents can happen. Prayers sent.
  • PalmettoKidPalmettoKid Posts: 847 Officer
    A family member of mine once gave himself a haircut with 3 1/2 #4's. He has been handling guns since he was a kid and has always been very safe. Crazy things happen in the heat of the moment.

I feel bad for that kid, having to live with that his whole life. Really unfortunate.
    No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
    Bobjr86 wrote: »
    Ok so i hunted florida for my first time yesterday and have to say i was really disappointed.
  • Larry MacLarry Mac Posts: 5,466 Admiral
    launchpad wrote: »
    Sounds like their may be two accidents cuz Wachulla is not Morman country.
    I would say that's an accurate statement
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    it seems they are trying to keep this one on the downlow. Thats why I made the public service announcement.

Not so. It made the news on TV and other outlets. As normal, FWC and other LE agencies are handling the accident investigation.

The injuries the accident victim sustained are usually not survived, aside from the other physical and emotional injuries he incurred, and the shooter also has alot to deal with, both emotionally and legally. Both individuals were well aquainted with eachother for many years.

This just serves to drive home the importance of two of the basic tenets of gun safety. ALWAYS BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND ALWAYS KNOW WHATS DOWN RANGE OF IT. Nothing is worth the possible consequences of failing to do these basic things when firing a weapon.

I'm with Flydown on this one.
    flydown wrote: »
    That's not important.

What is important, is that there are two families hurting right now. They need our prayers, not our judgements.

Only reason i asked is due to the fact im looking to get on another lease . As a buisness decision try to get as much info on the stuff i spend that amount of money on .
    living life as i like
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    If I got shot carrying my bird back to my truck I would file charges.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
    Only reason i asked is due to the fact im looking to get on another lease . As a buisness decision try to get as much info on the stuff i spend that amount of money on .

Understood.
    surfman wrote: »
    If I got shot carrying my bird back to my truck I would file charges.

What if was a close friend that made a horrible mistake?
  • gamehunter1023gamehunter1023 Posts: 467 Officer
    unexcusable. no one should be shooting an animal until they know what there target is. i know accidents happen but i like to feel like the people i hunt with are pretty darn accurate at what they are shooting at. so friend or not there is no excuse. flydown does it make a difference if it is a friend or not
    What if was a close friend that made a horrible mistake?
    unexcusable. no one should be shooting an animal until they know what there target is. i know accidents happen but i like to feel like the people i hunt with are pretty darn accurate at what they are shooting at. so friend or not there is no excuse. flydown does it make a difference if it is a friend or not

I agree man what the hell, no excuse for that, total irresponsible. I certainly hope that anyone shooting at game is sure of what they are shooting at and not so desperate to kill something that they just start shooting at what looks like a target. If this was a close friend and we were hunting together or nearby certainly he would have heard the guy shoot the bird. I don't know this is just plain stupid in my book.
    Tight Lines, Steve

surfman wrote: »
    I agree man what the hell, no excuse for that, total irresponsible. I certainly hope that anyone shooting at game is sure of what they are shooting at and not so desperate to kill something that they just start shooting at what looks like a target. If this was a close friend and we were hunting together or nearby certainly he would have heard the guy shoot the bird. I don't know this is just plain stupid in my book.

I agree that what happened was irresponsible and reckless. I just don't think I could prosecute a close friend for an accident, no matter how stupid it was. In a case like this, often times the shooter feels far worse than the victim.

But that's just me.
    I agree that what happened was irresponsible and reckless. I just don't think I could prosecute a close friend for an accident, no matter how stupid it was. In a case like this, often times the shooter feels far worse than the victim.

But that's just me.
    I would not consider it a accident but gross miss hap on the shooter . i know for sure the people i hunt with this would not happen . no your target is a very simple term . if you dont understand it you should not be hunting .
    living life as i like
    I would not consider it a accident but gross miss hap on the shooter . i know for sure the people i hunt with this would not happen . no your target is a very simple term . if you dont understand it you should not be hunting .

Accident, Mishap, whatever... My point is that I couldn't prosecute a close friend for something like this. Lord knows, he would feel bad enough without me piling on. The facts are that a man made a mistake, and God knows I have certainly made my share of mistakes.
    Would I have hard feelings? Certainly. But at the end of the day, it all comes down to forgiveness. Although I freely admit, it would be very hard to forgive something like being shot for a turkey!
    I understand what you are saying and I may feel the same way under the circumstances, lets hope for all our sakes we never find ourselves in that position, be safe.
    Tight Lines, Steve

• ShineShine Posts: 835 Officer
    In most states, if the district attorney finds it was a criminal act, they can make the decision to prosecute it. Or, to not prosecute the case. Regardless of the victims feelings in the matter. Would I want to see a friend or family member prosecuted for this? I cannot imagine anyone I hunt with doing anything like this. And, friends I know who say they don’t follow all the rules(100%) – I don’t hunt with them – still my friends – but they will never get the chance to shoot me in the woods.