Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Night Time Dock Lights!

We decided last night was the best night of the week to plan our night trip with winds predicted to be 5mph out of the Southeast. We launch from Jensen Causeway about 7:30pm and still have a little daylight so we stop on the edge of a flat and pick up a few small trout and bluefish. The sun sets and were off to the dock lights. The 1st one is just a dull light but we can see many trout swimming around it. Dad tosses a twitch bait in there and pulls out a 19 inch trout. They are still there but not interested in what we have. We skip a few lights to save them for the way back and head to our other ones. The wind is now 5-7mph, but nearly straight from the south. We fish the few calm lights we know and jump some of the biggest ladyfish I have ever seen! We start up the motor and then set up a drift so were going with the wind. The 1st few have some snook under them but the wind blows us by too quickly to really fish them hard. A few bites, but no hookups. Down a canal and I can see a big trout cruising under the first light. Throw my CAL in there and watch it get blasted! I hook it but its not doing the typical trout head shaking. Just dead weight... Until it got to the top, where it starts to fight. Biggest fish of the night by far, but it escapes our grasps. Every bit of 24 or 25 inches. We debate whether to fish the windy dock lights or not and decide to give it a shot. The south wind is blowing right in on them. We start to fish the first set of lights. One cast and I'm pulling in a 20 inch trout! Right about that time. The owners of the dock come out and inform us that "You have to be 500 feet off the dock!" We reply by saying that if were 500 feet off then we can't reach the lights... My very next cast in there, as the owner is coming out to the dock. I hook into one and drag starts peeling off. Right at that same moment, the owner called us every name under the book. Saying he was going to call the Sheriff, etc. We tell him we will just release this snook and be on our way. We land it and then snap a few pics and make sure they see us release it. Not that it made a difference to them. On the very next lights we double up on smaller trout. 16 and 17 inches. Really hard to fish them and take good pictures when your getting rocked by the waves. Our last few lights that we skipped are pretty calm. Down a canal that is brightly lit. 1 cast under the dock and we watch another snook slam the CAL. Right about that time we hear someone say "That's enough for tonight guys" and see his dock lights go out. The fish is putting up a good fight. Stripping drag and making runs, we finally get it up to the boat and too my surprise its only about 24 inches. It swiped at the CAL and got hooked down near the gills so that was why. The hook popped right out with no problems and the fish kicked away. With no lights in the canal now we have 2 or 3 left before we leave. This next one is loaded with snook. Our first few casts under there, 24 to 28 inch snook are swiping at the CAL, but dont get it! Then dad pulls out a big 22 inch trout that put up quite the fight. All the snook in there but eventually they spook off and we move on. I decide to pick up the DOA Shrimp for the last light. I have never caught anything on it. But on our last light, I sight cast an 18 inch trout with it! We could of fished more and caught more I'm sure but it was getting late. We leave at about 11pm. Happy with the trip and only having 1 fish throw the hook all night. We totaled 9 trout(all between 16 and 22inches) and 2 snook(23 and 24 inches). Mirrolure twitch baits, DOA CALS and DOA Shrimp were the lures of choice. We used them in glow!

Replies

• The NickoThe Nicko Posts: 475 Deckhand
    Nice detailed report...good job.. thanks for sharing.!!
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,804 Moderator
    Nice detailed report guys. Have you considered a drift sock to slow down your drift? We use two of them at our bass tournaments while drifting shore lines and it helps tremendously.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • shallow thinkershallow thinker Posts: 50 Greenhorn
    Good job! I use a little mushroom anchor to hold the boat in place. It beats having to work so hard on the trolling motor.
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Is that true about the 500 ft. rule? I don't remember that.
    .......Rick
  • summer dazesummer daze Posts: 883 Officer
    Nice night on the water & good catches. It is sad that some people than own docks think they also own the water around them !! I don't know the official rule on fishing near docks, if there is such a rule, but if you're not on the dock itself, what harm are you doing?
    jgocnk.jpg
    Tight Lines..
  • No CompetitionNo Competition Posts: 418 Deckhand
    Nice catching.

As for the guy on the dock yelling at you, he already lives on the water and has a dock. Life's not that bad for you buddy! Its like those jerks that live on a golf course and get pissed when you hit your ball in the yard. Hello, why'd you buy a house on the golf course then d-bag? Some peope just arent happy unless they're beotching about something.
    2007 31' Competition
    Yamaha 300HP 4-Stroke 4.2 liters
    Garmin and Furuno Electroincs
  • Joupdog1Joupdog1 Posts: 1,416 Officer
    Thanks guys! And as for the "rule". There is nothing they can do except turn their lights out. It's not like we even skip way up under their dock either. We pick around the edges of the light usually. Maybe we'll go visit them again tonight:crossed
    And on the anchor, the docks were fishing are 8ft deep so I dont know what good an anchor would do. We have a Stick-It, but need to be in 3ft of water or so to use it
    Law states that you can not interfere with the lawful taking of fish. If you want to turn your lights out. Then turn them out. Don't stand on your dock screaming at us. When most things your saying aren't true anyways. Most people can accept the fact if they put the lights there they are going to get fished.
  • AmericanAmerican Posts: 130 Officer
    Cytranic wrote: »
    I own the sand under the water 15 foot out from my dock, as do most broward waterfront residences. This is where my light lays.

15 FEET out, not foot.
    Either way, it's not about that. It's about the way these people handle the situation. Besides, were still going to fish them!
  • Fish TailsFish Tails Posts: 164 Deckhand
    American wrote: »
    15 FEET out, not foot.

Own the sand? Hymm... Do people dredge around your dock at night?

This is likely to get real interesting. You go Joupdog. Good catch'in by the way.
  • summer dazesummer daze Posts: 883 Officer
    I own the sand under the water 15 foot out from my dock, as do most broward waterfront residences. This is where my light lays.
    You may be correct, you own the sand 15 ft out. You DO NOT, however, own the water that my boat floats on or that flows beneath your dock and over "YOUR" sand.
    jgocnk.jpg
    Tight Lines..
    Grumpy people are going to be grumpy! Thanks guys!
  • bandit100377bandit100377 Posts: 461 Deckhand
    You don't own even the sand under your dock. You are given leasing rights to the state owned land under the dock. That's why you need EPA approval to have a dock installed. Deal with it dude. As for people living on golf courses, the problem isn't the balls landing in their yards, it's the aholes who insist on playing the ball from there and taking a big divot out of your grass. Out of bounds is out of bounds. Take a penalty stroke and play the ball in legal areas.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,931 AG
    Yup we all put these cool looking $800 lights by our dock to attract fish so you all can catch them.......

I no longer use my underwater docklight. I dont appreciate 15 people fishing within head pee distance of my dock every single night. The point of the light was to attract fish to look at, not allow other people to shoot fish in a barrel.

Hey Dew-shhhh....do you own the air space over your house too?

Your "riparian rights" do not extend to soveriegn state waters....I may not "touch" as in physicly touch(not even with anchor or lure) *YOUR* sand....but you have absolutely no legal standing to prevent a boat from coming 1 inch from your dock....
    Further...THERE IS a legal precident and statute to prevent you from interfering with someone who is lawfully engaged in fishing.

PS....we're all really impressed that you can afford to live on the water and buy expensive lights...How nice for you.
    Too bad you're a flaming D bag....your money won't help with that!
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • snook87snook87 Posts: 1,707 Captain
    good report but maybe make it a lil shorter next time?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • snook87snook87 Posts: 1,707 Captain
    Yup we all put these cool looking $800 lights by our dock to attract fish so you all can catch them.......

I no longer use my underwater docklight. I dont appreciate 15 people fishing within head pee distance of my dock every single night. The point of the light was to attract fish to look at, not allow other people to shoot fish in a barrel.

Thats the misconception in those green or under dock lights. People think when you turn on the lights the fish just pop up. You consistently have to have the lights on all night every night if you want to see nice fish. But thats your choice if you want to be a jerk about people fishing around your light. If you dont want the people around just simply NEVER turn the lights on, get rid of the lights, or just be nice guy and let people fish around your dock. The fish arent yours and nor is the water around your dock so be nice about it or put up a little sign saying please stay back or something(like anyone will read it). I fished the very same docks the Joupdog1 did that night and I NEVER had any issue with anyone about me fishing around the lights, one guy even shared a few beers with us. I can say what the reason is between the home owners and joupdog1 have but they all seem nice to me. A friendly hello as they watch sometimes lets people know your nice and respectful.

I bet you bought the dock lights I make and for that I thank you. I see they dont work for you or should I say your selfishness or jealousy. I cant figure out which one you are.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PompanoSlayerPompanoSlayer Posts: 35 Deckhand
    Should have thought about that before you paid 800 dollars for a light..
  • roweryborowerybo Posts: 2,091 Officer
    Thanks very much for the report, it is appreciated. You just keep fishing those lights, nothing the owners can do except turn them off. Then you just move on to the next.
    snook87 wrote: »
    Thats the misconception in those green or under dock lights. People think when you turn on the lights the fish just pop up. You consistently have to have the lights on all night every night if you want to see nice fish. But thats your choice if you want to be a jerk about people fishing around your light. If you dont want the people around just simply NEVER turn the lights on, get rid of the lights, or just be nice guy and let people fish around your dock. The fish arent yours and nor is the water around your dock so be nice about it or put up a little sign saying please stay back or something(like anyone will read it). I fished the very same docks the Joupdog1 did that night and I NEVER had any issue with anyone about me fishing around the lights, one guy even shared a few beers with us. I can say what the reason is between the home owners and joupdog1 have but they all seem nice to me. A friendly hello as they watch sometimes lets people know your nice and respectful.

I bet you bought the dock lights I make and for that I thank you. I see they dont work for you or should I say your selfishness or jealousy. I cant figure out which one you are.

For the record it's only 1 home owner that we particularly have a problem with. Most people are cool. Maybe he didn't get mad at you cause you didn't catch any fish under his dock like we did?
    snook87 wrote: »
    good report but maybe make it a lil shorter next time?

And as for the length of my report, just a nice detailed report. Maybe a little longer next time?
  • Mach80MakoMach80Mako Posts: 176 Deckhand
    Of these guys running out to yell at guys fishing their lights, what is the most popular number on the Jets jersey they are wearing? :fishing
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 304 Deckhand
    Hey Jupe,

I LIKE your detailed reports just the way they are. I am also mightily impressed by your consistantly good results on quality fish.

Keep the reports coming as is . They are a good read.
    Thank you! No worrys...
  • fishknutfishknut Posts: 3,928 Captain
    I remember reading an article in Florida Sportsman years ago that addressed this issue. The short of it was, if you owned the land then said land was dredged or removed, you still "owned" the area where the land used to be. Like I said this was many years ago, and maybe it has changed. I see both sides, I love fishing docks, but it would **** me off if I found dings in my boat or other damage caused from rude fisherman. But, I probably dont have to worry about that.
    Fail to plan, plan to fail.......
  • dtobiasdtobias Posts: 733 Officer
    Joupdog1.....obviously the guy is an a**hole. Kill 'em with kindness. Just smile and wave at the jerk. It will make him crazy. Good luck out there kid and keep the reports coming. Tight lines
    We were very kind to them. Drives em crazy! Lol Thanks!
  • Martin LocalMartin Local Posts: 557 Officer
    First of all NO TATARBUGG? as for the guy in jensen i think we should go and spend lots of time fishing his dock. in fact Cytranic's dock sounds like a great place to fish as well. i might just find where they are and fish there all night. i'll just sit in front with my i-piolt in anchor mode till my batteries die, or i fall asleep. they cant do a thing as long as you dont touch their property. some might have land rights under the water, but they don't own the water. i have waited on the cops to prove this point before. just dont make enough noise to disturb the people or let them come up with some other bogus charge. these people make me sick.

great report joupdog!
    MartinSig012-1-1.jpg
    You've got an iPilot? I'll get a big anchor and we can camp out in front of there dock one night. Thank you!