Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Butts for 100

snettlessnettles Posts: 2 Greenhorn
Need a little advice about how many butts to feed 100 people. Cooking for an engagement party.

Replies

• FlashFlash Posts: 11,211 AG
    Depends on the size of the Butts. 12 to 13 8 lb Butts might do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • charlie tunacharlie tuna Posts: 730 Officer
    Engagement party will be mostly couples so i would figure six ounces per person -- that comes to 37.5 pounds of finished product -- you will have shrinkage during the cook -- my guess is 50 pounds??? And i always have too much left over -- but thats a good thing:full
  • FrisbeeFrisbee Posts: 2,315 Officer
    too much left over is fine....not enough not fine.
    Even if you have three or four left over you could give em to people that have room in their freezers...it ain't that much extra effort to cook extra is it?

then again if you are ordering them...you're screwed.
  • T TopT Top Posts: 3,706 Captain
    I did 6 10lbers for a friends wedding that was planned to have 80 people, about a month or so ago. It was more than was needed but much better than not enough.
  • 13qbbq13qbbq Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    A general rule of thumb is that you lose 1/2 of the weight during cook and waste. So for an 8lb butt you figure you get 4lbs of pulled pork. I like to figure 6-8 ounces per person, i.e. adult, and figure from there. I would think that 8 8lb butts would do. That gives you an estimated 32lbs of pulled pork or 128 1/4lb servings. Gives you a little extra but it is not my a$$ on the line for the party. I always cook more than needed so I would probably cook 10 butts and call it good.
  • snettlessnettles Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Thanks for all the input. I do a mean butt on the egg but now the # has grown to about 160 people so were going to use a big smoker for that size cook.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,336 Moderator
    Here is the way I'd look at it... when you do just one butt, how many good sized meals do you get out of it? Take into account sides when you come up with that number (180 / that number) x 1.15 = enough for everybody with probably about 15% left over.

Depending on what kind of eaters you're talking about, I'd say your average butt would do 8-10 folks. So let's say 9. That's 20 butts for 180 folks. A 15% cushion is 3 more.

I bet at 23 you'll have 3 or 4 left over... but who cares. It feezes so well! Go ahead and pull the leftovers and freeze individual meal portions that can be thawed out in fride adn then re-heated. Hmmmm.... I'm hungry now.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"