Home General Hunting

Prepping turkey wings for wing mount... How to?

Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,339 Moderator
My next opportunity to try for bird number two is going to be tomorrow morning before work. After that I might be able to go Sunday, but it will be PM only.

On that last one that I shot (last Saturday and my first spring gobbler), I pinned up the tail for a tail mount and then kept the beard and then drilled out / salted / tied down the feet to dry.

I was thinking something like this...

FeatherMount.jpg

If I get lucky tomorrow, this will be my Saturday morning project before mowing the yard and then going to a wedding party for us that's out of town Sat night.

Any pointers? I may also post over on taxidermy.net and see what those guys have to say.

Thanks,

PH80
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Replies

• ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    I've caped one before but never done wings. That looks great, I like it better than most I've seen. Let us know what you find. I'd be interested in doing one of those.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,339 Moderator
    So far this is the best thing I've found... there's not a whole lot out there.

I think something like the image posted above looks just fantastic. I'm also certain that it's someting that I can do here at the house and save myself a few hundred bucks and the space that is required for standing or flying mount. Actually, even if I had all the space and money in the world, I'd till like to have a couple similar to the image above. I think it's just too cool looking.

Anyway, here the most useful info I've found so far.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/BirdTaxiArticles/01/e/01FE5BE6CF.html

Pretty much do what's found at the link above, but you leave the bones in. I'm guessing that if I just take my time, the most logical places to cut will be readily apparent; let's hope so

I have a really good feeling about tomorrow. What's going to suck is whenb 7:50, 8:00, 8:05 roll around and I'm supposed to be at work. I really can't afford to be in the woods any later than 7:50. I just know at 7:49 a loud mouth turkey is going to start bearing down on me. If that's the case, I'll just have to take my chances with the boss... both bosses that is. Boss in the suit, and the feathered boss. ;-)
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    1) I'm with you on the rather do that myself than pay for a whole body mount. I've never liked them much because I've never seen one where the head didn't look like that of a decoy.

2) I hunt a lot before work and I know the feeling. I'm sure the personal timeline has cost me more than one bird, but I feel fortunate that I can make my own hours and go plenty.

Good luck in the morning. There was only one day last week that I didn't hear a bird, this week I haven't heard one at all. If I don't hear one tomorrow I'm gonna start scouting a new property.
    Yikes. Well, I've been twice now and they've been gobbling like crazy, and multiple birds. Last time out was Saturday, though. So who knows what it's going to be like tomorrow.

I'm going to set up real close to where I think they've been gobbling on the roost in hopes that that will speed things up. I have turkey tracks ALL OVER the property, so I've been hesitant to get too close for fear of bumping them. I don't think anybody turkey hunts around me, and they are roosting about 50 yards off my property line. THat being said and because my calling ain't all that great, I have been setting up farther away than a professional would, and been doing a mixture of deer hunting / calling. Tomorrow I'm going get closer and.... 1. Call later in the am. 2. Call more aggressively, but... 3. Ony call once or twice. We'll see how it goes.

Good luck to ya if you make it out there tomorrow. Sure wish I had another entire day this weekend. I'm pretty confident that with an entire day out there, I could get my second bird (talking a big game after my success last weekend, aren't I?). Unfortunatley, it's just not in the cards.
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain
    Take the bones out and make 2 wingbone calls
    Yeah... I've been reading about that too! Trying to focus on one thing at the time. IF (big IF), I get lucky tomorrow, I guess I could always just carefully collapse them, trash bag em and set on a cookie sheet on ice in a cooler.

If I"m not mistaking, all bones except the humerus are needed to maintain proper shape for the wing mount. Aren't the ulna and radius used for the wingbone call.

I don't know.

I'm about to hit the sack with my finger bones crossed for quick success tomorrow morning. Each deer season I go one time before work and then swear I'll never do it again. Now it's time to try for turkey I guess. It was almost do-able before the time change. But on central time, there ain't much daylight before it's time to be at work once we're on daylight savings time. I do love daylight savings time during achery season, though. I can leave work an hour and a half early (much easier / less risky than coming in a hour and half late) and a get a nice early season pm bow hunt in.

We'll see about tomorrow. I'm still feelin' it.
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    That's a great looking wing mount, PH. Good luck, and hope it yours turns out great. Oh, and good luck in the morning. Would you like me to say a prayer that all gobbling stops at 7:30? Lol!
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
    7:30 still has me at work late, but it will be borderline maybe potentially almost possibly excusable late. ;-)
    7:30 still has me at work late, but it will be borderline maybe potentially almost possibly excusable late. ;-)

I've always said that once you start hunting turkeys, you will soon be broke, divorced and mentally unstable. Guess I need to add jobless to the list!

Good luck in the AM!
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,652 AG
    Go over to GON.com to the turkey section and ask. There are several people over there that do these mounts and 1 or 2 of them have over 20+ hanging in their houses.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    Did that last night. No luck this am...
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,652 AG
    Did that last night. No luck this am...

Maybe I missed the post but I don't see it over there in the turkey section. I was only looking for it by the titles though.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    Yeah... I had kinda piggy backed on a real old post, and it wasn't even in the turkey section.

I just posted up a fresh one in Turkey Talk. Also sent you a PM with the new link in case you want to follow along.

Just made up my mind that I'm going to go Sunday morning... it is NOT going to go over well, because SOMEBODY wants to boat ride on Sunday. However, I'm really made at thos darn birds now. Tried going this am before work and having to leave the woods at 8:00 (I didn't dare push it any farther) just flat naturally TICKED me OFF! Maybe I'll bag one in short order on Sunday and then we'll hit the water. If I don't, I'm going to have a hard time getting back in that truck in time to do what she wants.

Just made up my mind that I'm going to go Sunday morning... it is NOT going to go over well, because SOMEBODY wants to boat ride on Sunday. However, I'm really made at thos darn birds now. Tried going this am before work and having to leave the woods at 8:00 (I didn't dare push it any farther) just flat naturally TICKED me OFF! Maybe I'll bag one in short order on Sunday and then we'll hit the water. If I don't, I'm going to have a hard time getting back in that truck in time to do what she wants.

Remember what I said about hunting turkeys causing divorce??... Lol!
  • huntmstrhuntmstr Posts: 6,290 Admiral
    My next opportunity to try for bird number two is going to be tomorrow morning before work. After that I might be able to go Sunday, but it will be PM only.

On that last one that I shot (last Saturday and my first spring gobbler), I pinned up the tail for a tail mount and then kept the beard and then drilled out / salted / tied down the feet to dry.

I was thinking something like this...

FeatherMount.jpg

If I get lucky tomorrow, this will be my Saturday morning project before mowing the yard and then going to a wedding party for us that's out of town Sat night.

Any pointers? I may also post over on taxidermy.net and see what those guys have to say.

Thanks,

PH80

With the feet, I don't like to spread the toes out like they're standing, it's hard to mount them to the display board after they dry. I like to curl the toes and pin them down after threading all the marrow out of the bones. I also shoot formaldehyde into the legs under the skin and into the toes and joints, then coat the ends with borax and allow to dry for 2 weeks in the laundry room (warm & dry).

For the wings, you want to make sure you take all the meat out of the wings from the under side (wall side) scrape the bones and borax the heck out of it. Then, using foam board or cardboard, pin the wings in the position you want them and run masking tape over them to secure the feathers and wings down tight to the board. Once you do that, place them flat on a table or the floor and lay some bundled papers or phone books across them to keep them as flat as possible. Allow them to dry for no less than 3 weeks. You can shoot formaldehyde into to the joints of the wings as well. The formaldehyde keeps the flech from decomposing further and reduces smell and bugs. It helps the borax finish the job of dry preserving the mount.
    Bushnell, Primos and Final Approach Pro Staff. Proud member of the Fab Five, Big Leaugers and Bobble Head 4.

I had you pissed off at hello.
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    I like my turkey wings braised and then carmelized. Yum, Yum..... Kind of a last meal thing with me.