Kings this weekend

Any idea if the kingfish will be around this weekend? We caught some 2 weeks ago, but last weekend we found some good size Spanish but no kings.. I plan on fishing out of clearwater on some of the nearshore reefs. (Only have a 17ft boat)

Replies

• snookmansnookman Posts: 226 Deckhand
    Just go to the shipping channel. They are always there.
  • ~~Mutt~~~~Mutt~~ Posts: 478 Deckhand
    Caught 5 snakes...aka small kings.... at the crab traps off Dunedin early yesterday morning before the wind got to us..
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Posts: 525 Officer
    Don't know about Clearwater, but I caught 4 of them up to 30 lbs Sunday one mile off Sarasota.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • therobertbrookstherobertbrooks Posts: 285 Officer
    ~~Mutt~~ wrote: »
    Caught 5 snakes...aka small kings.... at the crab traps off Dunedin early yesterday morning before the wind got to us..

Kings at the crab traps? I shoot past those and never stop to fish.. might have to try that, I know there is some pretty good bottom there that holds good bait.
  • ~~Mutt~~~~Mutt~~ Posts: 478 Deckhand
    Crab traps are a sign of pretty good bottom.. We have won several tourny's off Mandalay slow trolling around those traps..biggest one was 38lb to take first at the Red Bull tourney @ Shephard's long time back.. Gotta figure..crab traps..cut bait in traps..small fish around the traps..bigger fish eating the small fish..
    All our hits were on the top using blue runners we caught at the last marker out of Clearwater. Marked several pods of bait from 15 ft to the bottom. Was going to rig a grouper weight to a line to get it down cause I sold the downriggers with the 29 Triton..but the seas started picking up so we ran in and hid behind some spoils to catch and release some trout

Those traps was Pork Chop's secret spot for a long time till one day we saw him haulin in a nice fish