Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Need advice for offshore reel line

I just won a new rod and reel from Finest Kind the other day but I need to get it spooled up with line. This is a all new set up for me as I'm more of an inshore guy and this is the biggest rod and reel I have now. This is the combo: Crowder Sportsman Series 20-50# 6'6" Rod with a Shimano Tyrnos 20II reel. My plans are to use this for sailfish, kingfish, grouper, shark, and cobia. The line specs from shimano for this reel are: mono - 700 yds./20 lb., 450 yds./30 lb., 330 yds./40 lb.
My questions are:
A) what type of line is best?
B) what size line?
C) whats the best color?(if it matters)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,804 Moderator
    Congrats!! In my opinion it's all preference. You didn't mention if you would be drifting, trolling, bottom fishing, etc.

Personally, I like spooling my reels with braid for the extra line capacity and abrasion resistance. I also like hi vis colors as it helps me keep track of where the lines are easily.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • Martin LocalMartin Local Posts: 557 Officer
    hey buddy. if your trolling or kite fishing i would go with ande or suffix hi vis, if your bottom fishing and live baiting i would go with braid. you need the stretch of mono for trolling and stuff and the strength and sensitivity of braid for the bottom. depends on primary use..
    MartinSig012-1-1.jpg
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,737 Captain
    I agree with Martin and will add that if you're going to mostly be targeting sails, kings and probably cobia, I'd spool with 20lb. If you're mostly going after grouper and sharks, I'd go with 40lb. If you're not sure, I'd go with 30lb which won't be the best for either but will work for both.
  • roweryborowerybo Posts: 2,091 Officer
    I would spool with Ande 20 or 30lb Mono. I have used suffix, ande Berkley, and numerous others but Ande seems to last the longest for us. Line color is just a preference. I troll with clear but use pink on my spinners, some use high vis-green or blue. The high-vis green is more for kite fishing so the guys can see it against the blue sky.
  • snook87snook87 Posts: 1,707 Captain
    Ill use it mostly for trolling baits and trolling plugs. Not really worried about the length as the reel can hold alot for anything that we catch around here. BUT if i put 20 or 30lb mono for a few hundred yards as backing then go to braid for the rest, would that work?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I can't think of a single advantage that braid would give you for trolling.
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,392 Captain
    Momoi Diamond is a great mono that is abrasive resistant, yet ties knots nice and smoothly. 20 lb rated Diamond will fit your bill perfect. Although it's labeled at 20 lbs, it breaks at about 37 lbs of pressure. The fact that it's thin is yet another benefit because you can pack a ton on your reel and just cut the line back throughout the season with plenty to spare. I use the 20 on all my TLD 25's every season for all types of trolling.
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
    snook87 wrote: »
    Ill use it mostly for trolling baits and trolling plugs. Not really worried about the length as the reel can hold alot for anything that we catch around here. BUT if i put 20 or 30lb mono for a few hundred yards as backing then go to braid for the rest, would that work?

Braid will cause you a lot of lost fish when trolling. It does not allow for stretch when the fish hits and will tear a hole in the fishes mouth. Braid is great for jigging, or inshore applications but stick with the mono for others.
    Ive heard about the Momoi line somewhere. Does color really matter? I know the Ande brand is pretty good but they have 3 different types.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,392 Captain
    The high-vis yellow is great if you're fishing several rods at the same time and you often deal with multiple hookups at once. With you outfitting just one rod/reel combo, you might want to just put smoke blue on it and be done with it. With any color high-vis line you always need to have a clear or smoke blue wind-on leader on the end anyway. Not necessary with smoke blue main line.
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • skinneejskinneej Posts: 358 Officer
    I can't think of a single advantage that braid would give you for trolling.
    Have you ever caught a really big fish? [:)] It's very common to extend your reel capacity with braid backing and 300 yrds or so of monofilament topshot. I don't think you guys run the "WTFB" line around here, but many Carolina boats will run a couple of lines 250-300 yards behind the boat when the tuna's are spooky. That's half the spool on a TLD 50. Hook up with a nice wahoo or blue one and you will be staring at the brass reel before you can turn the boat around.
    skinnej.jpg
    snook87 wrote: »
    Ive heard about the Momoi line somewhere. Does color really matter? I know the Ande brand is pretty good but they have 3 different types.

The premium line is the main brand.
    Im figuring a 30lb mono line is going to suit both needs for big fishing and trolling. Ande and some other brands makes a tournament grade and a premium grade mono. Is there a difference in performance between the two? Im not looking to break a record but want something that im not going to get pissed at when the line snaps for no reason.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Martin LocalMartin Local Posts: 557 Officer
    some of their lines a specifically designed to break at a certain poundage to set records for that line class while others break at higher than rated poundage and are just generally classified as that weight line.
    MartinSig012-1-1.jpg
    some of their lines a specifically designed to break at a certain poundage to set records for that line class while others break at higher than rated poundage and are just generally classified as that weight line.

True. If you want 30lb line that will always break near, but below, 30lb buy one that is marked "IGFA". Virtually all others "over test". It kind of bugs me when companies advertise, "The Strongest 30lb Line". If it's stronger than 30 then just call it something else. Seems that the conventional rating has become a way to more or less reference a traditional line diameter.
    Very True. I much rather have it break higher anyways! I went with the Momoi Diamond 30lb clear-blue. Looks good and just in time for this week coming of FLAT seas, i hope!
    True. If you want 30lb line that will always break near, but below, 30lb buy one that is marked "IGFA". Virtually all others "over test". It kind of bugs me when companies advertise, "The Strongest 30lb Line". If it's stronger than 30 then just call it something else. Seems that the conventional rating has become a way to more or less reference a traditional line diameter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Go MongoGo Mongo Posts: 2,112 Captain
    Good choice as to brand and weight Good luck this weekend.
    “Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,403 Captain
    Good thread for us newbs. Thanks.