Skip to main content
Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

The Huntress Fishing Charter out of Key Largo

Is anyone familiar with The Huntress that runs out of Key Largo. A few buddies of mine mentioned possibly chartering the boat, but their pictures all look a little old.Does anyone have any experience with this boat or captain. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• lwrenlwren Posts: 142 Officer
    A 53 foot Norsemann sport fish. Always has raised fish and I am not sure if Eric Scoble is the captain now. He is a fantastic fisherman and very nice gentleman! The boat is at Key largo Fisheries and although a little old it has produced some great Fish over the years.
    Thanks Larry
    First Choice Islamorada Fishing Charters
    305-360-4900
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dbronkdbronk Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    I have 3 charters with The Huntress the first week of June. I'll let you know how it goes when we get back.
  • dbronkdbronk Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Okay, I'm back from my Key Largo trip and can report back on The Huntress.

First the good:
    Brett Hogan. Brett is the guy that runs the charter. He is not the captain, but the guy you will contact to charter the boat. Can not say enough good things about Brett. Completely went out of his way to make sure our vacation, not just our charter, to the Keys was awesome. Treated us like family. Went out on each charter to make sure that the captain and first mate also had the same attitude.

The "not bad, but not good":
    The boat is showing it's age some. A few tears in some fabric, but that is no big deal to us. The biggest was that the boats generator was down so there was no electricity in the cabin. That meant no A/C. Bug again, it was not that big of a deal. The 2nd level deck had plenty of seating, plenty of shade, and plenty of breeze. Was really quite comfortable. The boat is not the fastest in the fleet either. But gets you there.

The bad:
    The captain. Captain Marvin (Fuzzy) was a really great guy. Don't get that wrong. Really personable and really, really wanted us to have a fun and productive fishing day. We had chartered a 3/4 day trip and 2 half day trips. The 3/4 day was to go after Mahi Mahi as this is the season. We were informed up front that the weed lines were spotty and the Dolphin catch was spotty also. I told him let's still go for that and if around mid day we are not having luck we will move to reefs and wrecks for bottom fishing for snapper/grouper, etc. We picked up a couple bonita and did get one smaller wahoo. But yes the bite was very slow. So we said let's move to the bottom. On the way to a wreck I did hook into a 300 pound Blue Marlin. That was awesome, really was. But after about 20 minutes my line snapped. Hooked him on medium rod/reel with 30 pound test. The tip eye had a couple nicks and we could see the line fraying like crazy so we all new the fish was going to win. This all sounds like an awesome day, but when you figure we landed 3 fish, one worthy of the dinner plate in a half day it is slow. Still just slow, not terrible and I may seem like I'm a complainer. Now if the Blue Marlin would have been landed that would have made up for the entire day. But even Capt. Fuzzy said I really had no chance. The problem came when we said we still wanted to just go to the wrecks and reefs to get some bottom fish so we could have a haul. He simply didn't do it. Kept wanting to try and troll. Several times we asked and he just trolled the entire ocean and nothing else came in. The two half day charters were much the same. We told him we wanted those to be simply wreck and reef fishing as we wanted to fill our coolers with snapper and grouper. He would put us on the bottom for about 20 minutes, then say let's move. In between the moves we would troll the ocean again for long periods of time. Out of both half day charters we spent a total of about 2 and a half hours with lines on the bottom. Ended up with a very small yellow tail, couple small bonita, and a small barracuda over the two half days.

Now, I can tell you that Brett and Fuzzy paid no attention to time. They would stay out there as long as we wanted. The 2 half day charters ended up being 7 hours each. But the extra time did not produce. All three charters ended with extremely low fish counts while the boat parked next to us at the marine came in with limits each day.

So I'd say that if you charter this boat, I'd see if you can get a different captain, one with a bit more patience for wreck and reef fishing. I really loved the fact that they were not sitting there watching the time and stopping right as time ran out. Each time they basically stayed until we said "let's go in". But I think Capt. Fuzzy really likes to troll the ocean and when that bite is off he really can't find the fish.

We will probably be back again next year and will call Brett back for another charter but ask for a different captain.

Hope this helps.
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Captain
    dbronk wrote: »
    Okay, I'm back from my Key Largo trip and can report back on The Huntress..

Hope this helps.

That is some quality input and reporting. TY :beer

Rob
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.