Home Sportsman's Kitchen

This is probably dumb..

Can you grill AJ's or can they only be smoked? Sorry guys first time I'm going to cook this fish, any advice would be appreciated.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] My second (wife):grin... My 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle 454 SS (LS6).

Replies

• Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    grilled AJ would be delicious. I think that they are as good as any other fish baked, fried, broiled, grilled.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,211 AG
    I would think you could. Make sure to remove the reddish meat and use the freshest you have.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • Luftwaffe1989Luftwaffe1989 Posts: 170 Officer
    Thanks guys for the info!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] My second (wife):grin... My 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle 454 SS (LS6).
    Thanks guys for the info!

I am told that sometimes the tail has worms, that part can be cut out too.
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    I killed one for the smoker a couple of years ago from the Tortugas. It had so many worms in it that it looked like spaghetti. 40 lb fish yielded like 5 lbs of meat after deworming. I won't bother doing that again!
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    People grill them all the time. Not too bad, I would recomend some kind of finishing sauce about 45 seconds before end of grilling.
  • Luftwaffe1989Luftwaffe1989 Posts: 170 Officer
    It was a 27lbs fish, it only had 6 to 7 worms I cant recall... But anyways I grill one half and I gave the other to my neighbor. Never seen a fish with so much worms, I have caught so many reds and trouts and never had the problem! I wonder why?
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,336 Moderator
    I love fresh amberjack off the grill.

The worm thing must be regional. We catch them up here regularly and they are common up to about 45 pounds. I've eaten MANY and AJ and never had a problem with worms in the flesh... until the last time I cooked one. I went home for lunch on day and threw a section of filet (not a steak) on the forman grill. Some EVOO, a dash of cayanne, some cavendars and in about 4 minutes I was in business. Sat down with some rice from the night before and tore that joker up until about 85% the way through I cam across a ball of worms in the flesh.

I have a pretty tough stomach when it comes to such things, but I must admit that my lunch was over at that point. Good news was that I was already fully.

I had always kind of rolled my eyes when people complained about the worms... I thought they were talking about the balled up ones that you often find int he stomach. The ones in the flesh... I figured they were just like those ones-ies and twos-ies that you find in your larger red grouper... the ones with the little black shiny almost irradescent head and clear bodies. Nope, the ones in AJ flesh are pretty sporty.

Will I be eating AJ again?

You betcha!!!!!
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
    I love fresh amberjack off the grill.

The worm thing must be regional. We catch them up here regularly and they are common up to about 45 pounds. I've eaten MANY and AJ and never had a problem with worms in the flesh... until the last time I cooked one. I went home for lunch on day and threw a section of filet (not a steak) on the forman grill. Some EVOO, a dash of cayanne, some cavendars and in about 4 minutes I was in business. Sat down with some rice from the night before and tore that joker up until about 85% the way through I cam across a ball of worms in the flesh.

I have a pretty tough stomach when it comes to such things, but I must admit that my lunch was over at that point. Good news was that I was already fully.

I had always kind of rolled my eyes when people complained about the worms... I thought they were talking about the balled up ones that you often find int he stomach. The ones in the flesh... I figured they were just like those ones-ies and twos-ies that you find in your larger red grouper... the ones with the little black shiny almost irradescent head and clear bodies. Nope, the ones in AJ flesh are pretty sporty.

You betcha!!!!!

funny story! thanks for sharing:)
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer

Good deal, you can have mine. Effing grossed me out. Too many better fish to eat and my wife won't eat fish more than once a week, even with a freezer load of muttons, asst grouper, wahoo, cobes etc. Aj's will never be in my kitchen again unless the feds close everything else. Great fish to catch, but there's so many better to eat if you have the opportunity to get them.
  • gerrysgerrys Posts: 738 Officer
    The worms add flavor!