Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Question re: beef ribs.........Flash?

DrSnookDrSnook Posts: 293 Deckhand
Doing some butts and chickens tomm for wifes family who is in town for spring break. Anyway, just had all the same 2 weeks ago and want to do something different for myself while I have the smoker going and was thinking of some beef ribs I have seen you post here over the years(that looked great).

Question is, what were they? Short ribs? TIA

Replies

• RexLanRexLan Posts: 868 Officer
    Best ribs for me are pork but they will dry out pretty quick. I short smoke them (heavy smoke for an hour) then foil and keep hot until they just start to pull from the bone. I try for 270 degrees. Backs are great but $$$$$. The normal ribs now are pretty lean and I would not even try beef .... but I have been wrong on many occasions.
    Port Charlotte, Florida
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,211 AG
    Sorry I missed your post. I usually try and find single Beef Backed ribs. Seems most of the racks around here are lacking in meat. Short ribs will work, but I'd rather find the Long Boned, uncut short ribs. Some of the Beef Dino bones are to die for. I like my steak med-rare, so don't want my ribs over done. 3-2-1 will work, but I usually do more of a 2 1/2- 1 1/2 - 1/2. But you can always add a little more time if need be. Love to marinade them in Badia's Mojo Crillio and either throw them in an aluminum pan, spooning some mojo over them as they cook or do the 3-2-1 style and foil them. Either way, they come out good.

BeefShortRibs0065.jpg

BeefShortRibs0068.jpg

You can tell by the color they are getting done. Usually 225 to 250º. I like oak and cherry wood mixed.

BeefShortRibs0069.jpg

Long boned short ribs aren't bad either.

LongBone_9867.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    Nice ... I'm in Rotonda area. Where can you buy decent product. Walmart is mostly junk, Publix and SweetBay are about it other than Sams that I know about.

Careful ... you'll end up as fat as me with all that magnificent cooking Flash!
    Port Charlotte, Florida
  • DrSnookDrSnook Posts: 293 Deckhand

LongBone_9867.jpg[/QUOTE]

This! That is what I was looking for....can only find the short ribs though.

Rex, we do spares quite often, was looking for something dif't and I remembered one of Flash's post that looked liked a prime rib rib......lol
    DrSnook wrote: »

This! That is what I was looking for....can only find the short ribs though.

Rex, we do spares quite often, was looking for something dif't and I remembered one of Flash's post that looked liked a prime rib rib......lol

Me too ... but I think he is keeping the source secret so he can horde it all! :grin
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    RexLan wrote: »
    Me too ... but I think he is keeping the source secret so he can horde it all! :grin

Well, for a while we found them at Winn Dixie. The last group I got was from a cow that I purchase with a neighbor and when butchered, I told him to leave me some long boned ribs. That is what is pictured above. You may have to locate a local butcher and see what he can get you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    Nice ... I'm in Rotonda area. Where can you buy decent product. Walmart is mostly junk, Publix and SweetBay are about it other than Sams that I know about.

Careful ... you'll end up as fat as me with all that magnificent cooking Flash!

Down 8 lbs this year so far. I am trying to work it off. :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I just went to Sam's. They had real nice short ribs and I bought some to make a stew. They said I could order them and they would hold them for me before they cut them so I am going to try that. They will have the whole bone then and they look really nice. Just an FYI. I may even smoke a couple of these to see how they do.
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    I just went to Sam's. They had real nice short ribs and I bought some to make a stew. They said I could order them and they would hold them for me before they cut them so I am going to try that. They will have the whole bone then and they look really nice. Just an FYI. I may even smoke a couple of these to see how they do.

The really nice prime rib bones can even be grilled and they come out very nice. Very tender.

PrimeBone017.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• DrSnookDrSnook Posts: 293 Deckhand
    Flash wrote: »
    The really nice prime rib bones can even be grilled and they come out very nice. Very tender.

PrimeBone017.jpg

Right there! Think that is the pic I remember. Looks so good!
    DrSnook wrote: »
    Right there! Think that is the pic I remember. Looks so good!

A lot of times, atleast when they were at Winn Dixie, they came four ribs in one section. I had them cut them into singles since they were so big.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• RedRichRedRich Posts: 283 Deckhand
    Flash wrote: »
    Sorry I missed your post. I usually try and find single Beef Backed ribs. Seems most of the racks around here are lacking in meat. Short ribs will work, but I'd rather find the Long Boned, uncut short ribs. Some of the Beef Dino bones are to die for. I like my steak med-rare, so don't want my ribs over done. 3-2-1 will work, but I usually do more of a 2 1/2- 1 1/2 - 1/2. But you can always add a little more time if need be. Love to marinade them in Badia's Mojo Crillio and either throw them in an aluminum pan, spooning some mojo over them as they cook or do the 3-2-1 style and foil them. Either way, they come out good.

Flash,

how long does it take when you do them in the pan and will the Mojo Crillo dry up towards the end of the smoke?