Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Small Garden Growers.......has anyone ever tried??

FlashFlash Posts: 11,211 AG
Sunblocking their garden from the extreme heat of Summer? Somehow I am thinking we are going to have a very HOT Summer. I see they have Garden Cloth/Vinyl that the Greenhouses use and I guess you could look at Camo netting too. Different grades allow more or less sun to pass thru. All kinda expensive, but if it helps the plants from withering and you can keep the wind from blowing it away.........might be a good idea. Anyone ever tried it?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

Replies

• T TopT Top Posts: 3,706 Captain
    I could be wrong but it seems to me small or large garden you want the same amount of sun. Or am I missing something?

BTW, we do a small garden, 6 rows about 15 feet long. Tamatoes, squash, bannana peppers, green peppers, and zuchini.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,211 AG
    T Top wrote: »
    I could be wrong but it seems to me small or large garden you want the same amount of sun. Or am I missing something?

Well, this is true, but trying to cover large acreage compared to sq ft is quite a different prospect. My garden is all of 280 sq ft.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    My garden is small at 8 by 16, but I have posts at the corners and the midpoints of the long sides that I use to suspend shade cloth above the plant tops once it gets hot. Definitely extends tomato and pepper productivity into the heat of the summer.
    jakedge wrote: »
    My garden is small at 8 by 16, but I have posts at the corners and the midpoints of the long sides that I use to suspend shade cloth above the plant tops once it gets hot. Definitely extends tomato and pepper productivity into the heat of the summer.

Where do you get it at? How do you attach it to post?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I bought the cloth at Home Depot. It has plastic clips that will accept a line or cord. I put the clips on the corners of the material with a loop of 100 lb test mono through the clip (this is a fishing site after all). I attached metal fence posts to my garden fence and use these to move the cloth up and down about 7 ft max. I like to keep it right at the tops of the plants and my tomatoes are usually 6 feet or better by the end of the season. The peppers are more sun tolerant but my tomatoes really respond when I add the shade cloth. The fabric is going into it's fourth season and is still in decent shape.

Here's the stuff although this link is for an odd size. I forget what mine was before I hacked it down:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202251732/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=shade%20scloth&storeId=10051
  • RedRichRedRich Posts: 283 Deckhand

X2

greenhouse shade cloth comes in different shade levels, light shade of 30% to 40% would be best, too dark and the plants stretch and stop producing. Nursery supply companies, maybe HD. FarmTek online has it but its not cheap. Lots of nurseries have gone out of business last few years, check around. http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/cat1;ft1_shade_houses_material;ft1_sunblocker_bulk_shade_cloth_1.html

An easy way to attact to wood structures is to roll the end of the cloth over a few times so you have several layers, and use 1 ft. long pieces of 1"X2" with two nails on each end to nail onto top rail, space out batten boards every few feet along length of shade cloth.
    I bought the cloth at Home Depot. It has plastic clips that will accept a line or cord. I put the clips on the corners of the material with a loop of 100 lb test mono through the clip (this is a fishing site after all). I attached metal fence posts to my garden fence and use these to move the cloth up and down about 7 ft max. I like to keep it right at the tops of the plants and my tomatoes are usually 6 feet or better by the end of the season. The peppers are more sun tolerant but my tomatoes really respond when I add the shade cloth. The fabric is going into it's fourth season and is still in decent shape.

Here's the stuff although this link is for an odd size. I forget what mine was before I hacked it down:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202251732/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=shade%20scloth&storeId=10051

That looks like that would work good. Are you saying the clips come with it or bought separate? Might run down to Crystal River tomorrow and check it out. If we don't find it there, I'll order some from online for delivery.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RedRich wrote: »
    X2

greenhouse shade cloth comes in different shade levels, light shade of 30% to 40% would be best, too dark and the plants stretch and stop producing. Nursery supply companies, maybe HD. FarmTek online has it but its not cheap. Lots of nurseries have gone out of business last few years, check around. http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/cat1;ft1_shade_houses_material;ft1_sunblocker_bulk_shade_cloth_1.html

An easy way to attact to wood structures is to roll the end of the cloth over a few times so you have several layers, and use 1 ft. long pieces of 1"X2" with two nails on each end to nail onto top rail, space out batten boards every few feet along length of shade cloth.

I've been looking at some of those. Black seems to be the only color down in that % and would still run $90 + for the size I need.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• T TopT Top Posts: 3,706 Captain
    T Top wrote: »

BTW, we do a small garden, 6 rows about 15 feet long. Tamatoes, squash, bannana peppers, green peppers, and zuchini.
    OK now I get it, I will try this this year.
  • wizfisherwizfisher Posts: 2,387 Officer
    Our garden was in the back yard in full sun a couple years ago. We struggled with it.
    Moved it to the other side of the house and under some oak trees. The trees provide enough shade to keep things from getting too much sun and the fallen leaves act as a ground cover (like pine needles or mulch).
    Garden has done much better since moving.

Plans fell thru and no trip to HD, but see I can order online. Was this Harvest color the one you got and it gets enough light thru it for plants?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

that's the one.
  • dougmaysdougmays Posts: 288 Officer
    Flash let me know how it goes, i'm thinking about getting the same stuff for my garden that is in direct sunlight all day
    dougmays wrote: »
    Flash let me know how it goes, i'm thinking about getting the same stuff for my garden that is in direct sunlight all day

Ordered it today Doug. Free home delivery from Home Depot on orders over $45. Sweet.
    Might be a little while before I install it. Night time still is a little cool here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]