A Plea for Morality...

Fellow forum members...

If you post something for sale on this forum, and someone makes an offer and you accept it, keep your word!

Multiple times now I have come to an "agreement" on an item, worked on logistics for making a transaction, and then told at the last minute "sorry, sold it".

If you want to sell something and play auctioneer, post it on an auction site. Don't accept an offer and then back out because someone offered a little more.

If the offer, is too low. Say "no thanks". If it is acceptable, then follow through.

Maybe asking people to keep their word an honor what they say is asking too much.

-Nick

Replies

• Boatless-In-BrowardBoatless-In-Broward Posts: 78 Deckhand
    I second that. That goes for the buyer too. Sorry you got shafted.
  • BillatstarbriteBillatstarbrite Posts: 510 Officer
    +1. Doing otherwise is being a ****.
  • johnnybjohnnyb Posts: 985 Officer
    Sadly this is getting to be pretty common.
    Acceptance of any type of behavior effectively reinforces that behavior.
    Original member number 3640 - September 2001.
    NRA Endowment Member

obamasales.png
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    Sorry you got stung...

Honestly, what FS could use is a feedback system, like the one Ebay and Archery Talk use. I'm sure it wont completely eliminate poor integrity, but it couldn't hurt.

Until FS goes to some type of integrity meter, I would insist on getting as much information (name, phone, and address) from the person I am considering doing business with.
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • wizard78wizard78 Posts: 493 Deckhand
    We read the threads and keep a mental record of what's posted. If you got shafted, post the particulars. After a while the douchbags won't be advertising on here any more.
  • nativecrackernativecracker Posts: 293 Officer
    BTT...just got screwed by a fellow forum member on a little Kimber 1911 that was posted for sale recently. Had price confirmed and even had the exact place we were meeting tomorrow...and all the sudden..."Sorry, sold it tonight".

Actually wizard, you commented on his post about it being a nice gun. Never know, he could have screwed you over.
  • jaxduckhunterjaxduckhunter Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Native that was me with the springfield 1911. I had been in communication with you and also another forum member, the other forum member was located here in jacksonville and had offered me 750 with a late notice, considering the circumstances, accepting the higher offer without having to drive an hour to sell was more reasonable. I am sorry if you feel that I intentionally screwed you over but that was not my intention.
  • nativecrackernativecracker Posts: 293 Officer
    Jax...that is exactly what it means. Even if you are talking to 100 people about it, the first person you say you have a deal with ends the negotiations with everyone else. It doesn't matter if someone closer offers you a better deal. You gave your word. Simply telling the other guy that you have it sold and if tht sale falls thru then he has next dibs is what was right to do. Consider how you would feel if the situation was reversed.
    If you give your word you should stick to it. If you feel that a deal is unreasonable or inconvenient, don't agree to its terms. You had no problem driving an hour to deliver the Kimber initially. I sold my AR and drove 1 hour and 45 to meet the guy. As soon as I agreed to the deal a guy offered me $50 more and was going to be in my area the next day. I still stuck to my word because it's the only thing I have in this world that's mine - and it means everything to me.
  • gatormarkgatormark Posts: 2,240 Officer
    This is not a lack of morals, just a lack of honesty. With that said if you gamble on doing business over a bullladen forum you take your chances with the yo yos on said forum. I tried to sell my boat 2 yrs back on this forum and got more stupid offers from idiots than you can imagine, will you trade for gold,guns etc etc etc.
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 3,098 Captain
    Native that was me with the springfield 1911. I had been in communication with you and also another forum member, the other forum member was located here in jacksonville and had offered me 750 with a late notice, considering the circumstances, accepting the higher offer without having to drive an hour to sell was more reasonable. I am sorry if you feel that I intentionally screwed you over but that was not my intention.
    You sold your word as a man for a few bucks. It's pretty simple to me

Here's how I handle selling. I tell everyone that the first cash in my hand wins. You'll never have this problem again and people will step up to get you the money

I sell a lot of items and many times I'm offered more money to turn my back on the initial negotiated offer. I'm happy to say that I've never veered. I will move on if the other person doesn't return my calls/email in a quick manner
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
  • MayferMayfer Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    Never sold anything on this forum but can't count how many times we have come to an "agreement" on something on Craigslist only for the buyer to never show up. Until cash is in hand its not a done deal. And I always tell the people that until you give me the cash it could get sold at any time.
  • wizard78wizard78 Posts: 493 Deckhand
    .......Actually wizard, you commented on his post about it being a nice gun. Never know, he could have screwed you over.

Sorry to hear this. I get upset when a deal is agreed upon and the seller backs out at the last minute because of selling to someone else. I have always kept my word on transactions even to the point of turning down better deals. This is one of the reasons I NEVER agree to "best offer" or "make an offer" ads. I don't shop on auction sites and this "classified" section shouldn't be turned into one. Most other classifieds I visit, don't allow this. ALL for sale items HAVE to show a selling price.
  • RedBaronRedBaron Posts: 6,781 Officer
    I've had More bad experiences than good ones with deals on the forums.
    Come to Forced Sex University where you can **** women for free!!!
  • Larry MacLarry Mac Posts: 5,462 Admiral
    I have sold several guns on this forum with no issues. Never bought so far. One thing about guns is the perceived condition of the gun. Pictures don't show everything. Buyer or seller may have different views on its condition. I may lose out on a deal but I probably would tell a seller, I have cash, and will buy at your price assuming your estimation of its condition agrees with mine. I think that could be a reason some may blackout on what some feel is an agreed upon deal.
    There is also the issue of fair worth. I've had a lot of guys offer me some rediculous prices on things that were already a great deal. I try to price things at the lower end of the spectrum so it's fair for both parties. I sell it pretty quickly and they get a great deal. I realize that guys come on here looking for a steal, but come on, let's be fair.
  • s5trauts5traut Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    I had this happen to me...I told this guy I'd take it and while I thought he was getting a shipping quote so I knew how much to send him, he supposedly "changed his mind", although his thread now says "Sold". Other forums I've been to have a "sticky" thread with a list of good sellers and bad sellers, perhaps we need one. Pathetic how men can't keep their word.
  • FrisbeeFrisbee Posts: 2,315 Officer
    actually this is rampant in society.
    First time I got stung was on Craig'slist. We agree on a price, and to let the buyer fell comfortable about bringing the item down thsi way the next time he fished the Inlet I paypal'ed him the money.
    On here I've talked to a couple of people about buying things and never got to the point of agreeing on some aspect and the ball was dropped without an "official" posting But I just figured an easier resolution presented itself to the buyer. Then again Another seller sent the item, i asked him twice through PM's if he could tell me where he purchased it so I could return it for credit as he had indicated it was avaialble for store credit, then he never did figure out which store he bought it from.
    So it is just people being people. I don't thik highly of most people. I'll stop if they are in the middle of the crosswalk, but that is about it.
  • tieretatiereta Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    I usually insist that the seller post "sold" on the thread once we have come to an agreement, either that or I will post "sold" to ensure that other are aware that there is a deal pending. I have been burned about 3 years ago on the FS forum, I litterally was in the car on the way to meet a seller to purchase a Citori O/U ($1800 gun) when I was about an hour out the seller refused to answer his phone, after multiple attempts to contact him I finally pointed the car towards the house and still to this day have not heard back from the seller.
  • UCFGuy2011UCFGuy2011 Posts: 37 Deckhand
    The original intent of this thread, was that the people on FloridaSportsman's forum, I would hope would be a little more likely to stick to their word, rather than most of the yahoo's on Craigslist.

Comparing a group of people who are "supposed" to be Sportsmen to the entire Craigslist population seems a little off.
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    UCFGuy2011 wrote: »
    The original intent of this thread, was that the people on FloridaSportsman's forum, I would hope would be a little more likely to stick to their word, rather than most of the yahoo's on Craigslist.

Comparing a group of people who are "supposed" to be Sportsmen to the entire Craigslist population seems a little off.

Would you leave your truck or car unlocked while hunting? Probably not. I know I wouldn't. But there was a day when you could. Just because we are sportsmen doesn't make us any better or sin less than the "Craigslist Population".

However, I trade quite a bit on both Ebay and AT. I have yet to get burned, but I know my day's coming.
    But at least those two sites have buyer and seller feedback. Something FS needs.
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • GrillaGGrillaG Posts: 1,259 Officer
    haha, Society in general is a little off.