Home Egret Boats

Unwanted visitor

Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 220 Deckhand
Well, had the boat laid up for a while having to deal with family issues. When I finally had a chance to get to the boat I found I had a visitor that had chewed on my cushions. That didn't get me as made as when I turned on the battery switch to find I had a dead short. When I cleared all the smoke and looked around it was not satisfied with the just the cushions, battery wires were worked over also. Since the battery wires got cooked I decided to go ahead and replace everyting inside. So I ordered a new harness from Frank along with some other goodies. I've been putting off doing anything with the boat but fish on it. Since I've had it for 13 years now and it's a '97 it's been used hard for a long time. I will be replacing everything that has either fuel, water or electricy running through it. The drip plate and windshield (cracked it when I stuffed the boat last winter :nono) will also be replaced. The last item will be the non skid. It will be easy since there is none, I've worn it off the bow.

This boat has spent most if it's time in Flamingo both in the back country and out front along with the keys and deep into the gulf. It has also seen countless nights for a quick tarpon trip out to the bay in Miami. I keep it a stones throw from the water so it's easy to drop it in the water and be back back in time for the evening news on any given week night. Over all it's been extremley reliable. I have already had Mike over at Master Repair go through the trolling motor. My next two items will be to upgrade my Garmin and probably finally break down and hang a power pole
2012-02-05_14-51-42_37.jpg
Drip plate very sunburned and has seen better days
2012-02-14_18-00-13_823.jpg

2012-02-14_17-59-19_261.jpg

I will add updates soon
Egret 189
Maverick 17T sold

Replies

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    Wow it needs some love.
    Post some pics when you get it all redone.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    It's painstaking work but when your done, you will have a clear understanding of how it all goes together. I could not believe the detail in the harness itself when I unravelled it all. I don't know who mfgs it but it seems like it would take a hell of a long time. When you get it, stretch it all out on a big surface and you can see how it all lays into the boat. It looks like a rat nest until you do that and check out the lables. Everything is clearly labled and comes with all the connectors and new switches. I used additional shrink wrap over those. Use your existing harness wires to pull it through. The hardest part is working in the bilge area and up under the console. Replace all your ties and keep the new wires off the bottom. Expect to have a severe crook in your kneck, sore knees and a messed up back. Bring a large padded old blanket to lay in the boat which helps. Don't forget to replace the led rope for behind the switch lables. Also, with respect to the new top cover plate with the switch lables, do not use any cleaner on it except water and mild soap or you will strip all the black color right off it and there is no fixing it then. If you are using any 5200 around and touch that thing with any thing that cleans 5200 off, your new black switch cover will be messed up. The entire steering assembly needs to be removed to install it. A real pain. You lay it back in and seal it down with a 5200 bead.

Out with the old...
    IMG_1975.jpg

In with the new....
    IMG_1976.jpg
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 220 Deckhand
    I'm bitting the bullet on the harness installation. When Egret was being manufactured in Miami I met Steve Visconti who was one of the riggers at Egret. After Egret went up north he stayed in Miami. I was able to track him down again and have him do the harness. I figured since he did most of them while in Miami he would know the gremlins that will be inside.

Battery switch has seen better days - went with Blue Seas
    2012-03-06_17-21-34_642.jpg

Console cleaned up
    2012-03-06_17-21-18_422.jpg

New wind screen
    2012-03-06_17-22-51_722.jpg
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
  • reelgrimmreelgrimm MiamiPosts: 458 Deckhand
    I heard about this briefly from Steve. He handles all my maintenance on my yamaha and has done some work to the boat. You are in great hands as I'm sure you know!
    My Youtube Channel
    Boat: 2015 25' Competition Single 300 Yamaha
    Latest Fishing Report - Snook on the Beach

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    Here is a link for Marine wire great prices and the products are top notch!

http://tinnedmarinewire.com
    Thanks FlatsBoy

Let the games begin
    2012-03-13_18-47-28_245.jpg

Everything cleand and ready for new parts
    2012-03-06_17-21-18_422.jpg

2012-03-06_17-24-31_592.jpg
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    Last-Cast wrote: »
    The last item will be the non skid. It will be easy since there is none, I've worn it off the bow.

My non skid has been gone around the rear seat for quite a while. I think I would try this product to redo the non skid: http://www.kiwigrip.com/
    Drip plate, steering and throttle are in. The wiring has to be pulled and I will probably change the throttle cables while I'm at it. I took the prop to have a new hub put in only because everytthing else is being done. The shop called Power Teck to repitch the prop. Its a 1/4" smaller than when I bought it. I guess everything shrinks in water lol

2012-03-07_18-13-34_60.jpg
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
    The wiring is now complete and Steve put in new baitwell lights last night. The anchor light had to be replaced. The bulb was melted :( The last couple of items are the cover to the battery compartment, it got scorched and I'm going to have a detailer come by tomorrow to get her all cleaned up and get rid of the droppings of my unwanted visitors. I had the prop repitched. Lost a 1/4 inch in diameter on it. This weekend is a shake down cruise then it's time to hit the cut next week for Tarpon. I got a call last night they were all stacked up
    NewDripplatemarch2012.jpg

newwiringinbatterycompartment.jpg
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
    All wiring has now been replaced along with te drip plate and switches. Well lights and anchor light have been replaced. I had the boat detailed inside and out and now it's time to play with it. If the wind dies down and I can get out on time it should be tarpon time in the cut

2012-04-07_10-38-34_382.jpg
    Rod locker all bleached and waxed

2012-04-07_10-37-59_267.jpg
    under seat compartment

2012-04-07_11-54-19_858.jpg
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
  • reelgrimmreelgrimm MiamiPosts: 458 Deckhand
    cool. Plenty of tarpon in cut last night :)
    My Youtube Channel
    Boat: 2015 25' Competition Single 300 Yamaha
    Latest Fishing Report - Snook on the Beach

Steering rebuild is done. Now it's time to get things wet again :)
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
  • Travis GTravis G Kentucky😢Posts: 501 Deckhand
    very nice. monster job to tackle!!!