Home General Freshwater Fishing

My largest bowfin yet 3/11/12

Thought I would share this. Sight casted to this big boy in tiny pond in Tampa Palms. Saw him cruising and he nailed the 4.5" storm kickin shad. Very aggressive this one was. I didn't get a weight but it was substantially larger than the 10lber I caught last year in this pond. Some people hate these guys, I personally love catching them. The pic doesn't do justice. I could have fit my hand in its mouth if I wanted to lose it, lol.

photo-53.jpg
Catch 'em and Release 'em!
http://tampaurbanangler.blogspot.com/

Replies

• Bass2bucksBass2bucks Posts: 654 Officer
    Lol I've always considered them a junk fish right up there with the chain pickerel. The reason most don't like them is because they compete with the bass for food as well as eat fingerling bass and destroy your lures. Did you release it?
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,193 AG
    Bass2bucks wrote: »
    Lol I've always considered them a junk fish right up there with the chain pickerel. The reason most don't like them is because they compete with the bass for food as well as eat fingerling bass and destroy your lures. Did you release it?

Man, Chain Pickerel are some good eating sands the Y bone. Sweet meat.

Now is this Bowfin related to this Snakehead I am hearing about?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • Luftwaffe1989Luftwaffe1989 Posts: 170 Officer
    Flash wrote: »

Now is this Bowfin related to this Snakehead I am hearing about?
    Two different fish, two different families... Another fact that is pretty cool; Bowfin are from the preastoric era.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] My second (wife):grin... My 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle 454 SS (LS6).
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    Mean fish for sure...
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • SnookmeisterSnookmeister Posts: 1,035 Officer
    Yea I just consider them a necessary part of the system. Some bass need to get eaten. Too many little bass is not a good thing. I just like catching them, they are a cool fish to me and it's not like there are many lakes where they seriously out compete bass. I catch them pretty seldomly. Not trying to bust any chops, I just think they are a cool hard fighting fish that help control the weakling bass. And yes I released him unharmed. I want him to get huge so I can get the new world record, lol.
    Catch 'em and Release 'em!
    http://tampaurbanangler.blogspot.com/
  • Luftwaffe1989Luftwaffe1989 Posts: 170 Officer
    Pretty much they can outlive bass, they can also live in water with really low Oxygen... I have to agree with some people here, about just letting the fish be released unharmed! I remember when I used to live in Miami, FL these were two of my favorite fish to target beside Peacock bass.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] My second (wife):grin... My 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle 454 SS (LS6).
  • RemoteRedsTroutRemoteRedsTrout Posts: 408 Deckhand
    Yea I just consider them a necessary part of the system. Some bass need to get eaten. Too many little bass is not a good thing. I just like catching them, they are a cool fish to me and it's not like there are many lakes where they seriously out compete bass. I catch them pretty seldomly. Not trying to bust any chops, I just think they are a cool hard fighting fish that help control the weakling bass. And yes I released him unharmed. I want him to get huge so I can get the new world record, lol.

X2
    Kill the snakeheads and possibly tilapia
    bill-dance-motor-o.gif1314011917_bill_dance_fishing_blooper.gifsMozlUn.gif
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    if I could I'd love to Bowfish for Mudfish, Gar, tilapia an grass carp. But the HOA peeps would go completely Nutzo
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • SaltyOspreySaltyOsprey Posts: 56 Greenhorn
    Bass2bucks wrote: »

They are NOT junk fish, and they don't destroy bass populations in any way. Bowfin are completely natural to their environment and would have wiped out bass long ago if they wanted to. As for destroying lures, maybe you should get better tackle or only fish for pathetic little weakling bass because bass gear can't handle the power of the superior fish.
  • UrbanAnglerMiamiUrbanAnglerMiami Posts: 448 Officer
    Two different fish, two different families... Another fact that is pretty cool; Bowfin are from the preastoric era.

Correct, two different species from two different genus. And yes, it is a cool fact that they have been around since prehistoric times like the tarpon, only a handful of fish can claim this.
    "Exploring the Sublime of the Angling Worlds." HT

I have to agree, they can be very aggressive, they will shred tackle and gear if given the chance but they have been here long before all of us and will probably out live man with so many attributes in their favor. Pound for pound, probably one of the hardest fighting fish in freshwater aside from locked tarpon or snook.
    Austins26 wrote: »
    if I could I'd love to Bowfish for Mudfish, Gar, tilapia an grass carp. But the HOA peeps would go completely Nutzo

That would make an awesome video though...lol.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,164 Moderator
    they can also live in water with really low Oxygen.

This is true. One of the guys in my bass club put one in his livewell to weigh in for the "trashfish" pot. He forgot about it and at the next months tournament checked his well.
    Thing was still alive and we released it !
    30 days in the hole .
    "You'll get your weather"
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    theres no such thing as a junk fish.. all fish have thier place in the ecosystem unless of course its a non native invasive species.. people who throw fish on the bank and let them die are **** and need to be **** slapped in a big way
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,412 Admiral
    a gold johnson spoon will get them every time ,that's a hog right there !
    Austins26 wrote: »
    Mean fish for sure... Tight work they'll attack anything close when they're protecting they're beds. i feel the same about as I do about gar fish. call me heartless. I never release them (either or)

You kill fish and leave them... I don't think you fit the definition of a sportsman.
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,942 Captain
    I kill every one I can. Not good for anything I want to thrive. I know an old black guy that boils them and makes fried patty's out of it.
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,412 Admiral
    You kill fish and leave them... I don't think you fit the definition of a sportsman.

why bump up old threads all over the place ?
    I kill every one I can. Not good for anything I want to thrive. I know an old black guy that boils them and makes fried patty's out of it.

Don't you get it? If a fish is native to an environment then it has a role in that environment, it's there because it contributes to the health and well being of it's ecosystem. Bowfin have been swimming side by side with Bass for millions of years and they seem to be doing pretty good. Do some research before you go around saying crap like "Not good for anything I want to thrive". If bowfin, suckers, carp, gar and other rough fish went extinct the ecological impact would be devastating. Everything has a purpose, if you want to help your precious "game fish" then go kill some invasive species, snakeheads, oscars, whatever, leave the natives alone, they're helping you out.
    johnD wrote: »
    why bump up old threads all over the place ?

Because I have something to say on those matters. Why else?
  • weetzaweetza Posts: 156 Officer
    I personally love them on fly. Very aggressive and hard fighters.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,164 Moderator
    Mudfish have a place , just like the old spotted gar does. I actually don't see as many mudfish in my area as I used to ?
    Kind of concerns me in a way. I do however see lots of Pleco's, tilapia and even walking catfish in my county that were NEVER here 20 years ago.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Nok21Nok21 Posts: 30 Deckhand
    I don't consider them trash fish because they put up such a great fight. I've even had them bend the hook!
  • GitchaPullGitchaPull Posts: 345 Officer
    They are NOT junk fish, and they don't destroy bass populations in any way. Bowfin are completely natural to their environment and would have wiped out bass long ago if they wanted to. As for destroying lures, maybe you should get better tackle or only fish for pathetic little weakling bass because bass gear can't handle the power of the superior fish.

Yes they are native. No they are not junk. No, they dont wipe out any bass populations anymore than snapping turtles, herons or snakes. And they will hammer a swim bait. The biggest one I've caught just hammered a 5" Shadolicious on Kissimmee last year. I got no problem with em either. Nice fish snookmeister.
  • GitchaPullGitchaPull Posts: 345 Officer
    Lol didn't look at the date of this thread
  • pergatronpergatron Posts: 251 Deckhand
    Definitely let the bowfin swim free! The are an ancient fish native to North American waters, and eating weak, sick, dying, or poorly-equipped bass is necessary to keep the ecosystem strong. If all bass are allowed to swim free with no natural predation, the population as a whole will be less immune to disease, the average catch size will go down, and the balance of prey fish would be devastating. Keep the bowfin aka grindle swimming and don't throw any on the grass! It's not a carp or a snakehead, which are true invasives.
  • flaswimbaiterflaswimbaiter Posts: 123 Officer
    There is no reason to kill a native species for any reason except ignorance. If they compete so much, why are there so few of them. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing a gar or bowfin tossed on the bank to die because of backwoods thinking. A healthy bass population has to do with forage (or the availability of said forage), water purity, oxygens levels, cover, and competition for food from other bass.