How Many ARS have you gotten so far this year??

Just to help NOAA and whatever acronym has any interest in the total Recreational take of Red Snapper in 2011 let's help provide some numbers. Please be truthful.

So far this season I've got 4 Red Snapper avg weight 6 pounds.

I'm betting that the numbers aren't all that high, since the weather hasn't cooperated for getting offshore.

If anyone knows how to set up a poll that would tally it all up that would be cool too!

Replies

• Reel IrieReel Irie Posts: 81 Deckhand
    this is not for our region but a couple weeks ago, we limited out (12) on Red Snapper out of St George Island for two days straight. All between 10-20 pounds.
    cape-horn-boats-L20889.gif
  • GulfWarriorGulfWarrior Posts: 141 Officer
    Reel Irie wrote: »
    this is not for our region but a couple weeks ago, we limited out (12) on Red Snapper out of St George Island for two days straight. All between 10-20 pounds.

Any info is appreciated.
  • djsmallzdjsmallz Posts: 56 Deckhand
    I've gone out once for 3 weekends in a row until this past weekend and caught my limit every time (varing crew of 5-7). Our averages were 9-15lbs. I still haven't managed to be able to find anything else on a consistent basis.
    "One has to go fishing in order to catch fish"....:wink
  • JayzillaJayzilla Posts: 73 Deckhand
    Help NOAA? Let's see if you catch your limit they are being overfished. If you didn't catch your limit they are overfished. Screw NOAA I refuse to help them because they sure aren't on the side of the fisherman. I'll get off my soap box now.
  • electricblueelectricblue Posts: 71 Deckhand
    2 trips. For me personally that's 4 fish.
  • Fintastic.IncFintastic.Inc Posts: 251 Deckhand
    My answer will not help the cause. If you are gathering info for a survey of your own I will pm you my numbers but not here.
    www.fintasticinc.com
    Lagerhead Fishing Team
    Team Cabo Loco
  • Navy_FishingNavy_Fishing Posts: 813 Officer
    1 trip, 4 ARS. 4-9 pound range.
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,978 Moderator
    Jayzilla wrote: »
    Help NOAA? Let's see if you catch your limit they are being overfished. If you didn't catch your limit they are overfished. Screw NOAA I refuse to help them because they sure aren't on the side of the fisherman. I'll get off my soap box now.

Couldn't agree more, I don't see the point to this thread.
  • 23Dusky23Dusky Posts: 56 Deckhand
    Reel-Lucky wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more, I don't see the point to this thread.
    Ditto. They will twist your data to meet their agenda...sad, but true.
    23Dusky wrote: »
    Ditto. They will twist your data to meet their agenda...sad, but true.

Haysoos Freaking Cristo...you guys.

Do you really think NOAA is coming to get they're info from me? I just wanted to know. Didn't you all catch the "and what ever other acronym."

They point of the thread was f'in' curiosity. But even if they did...looks like in the first 30 days of the season the total WCF Region has took a whopping 45-50 Snappers. That **** sure ain't overfished. But it also shows there are plenty of them out there because everyone seems to be getting a full bag.

Opps. I really need to go now...looks like there's a Black Helicopter hovering over my house. Don't worry men, they can torture me for days and I'll never tell them how many fish we've caught.
  • TwentyFourSevenTwentyFourSeven Posts: 93 Deckhand
    I have only made two trips this season so far. The gulf being loaded with storms has stopped us from some trips and recreational fisherman for the most part, only get out one day a week and thats only if the weather cooperates on the weekend. NOAA thinks every boat registered recreation fishes apparently a lot. I cant believe we cant even keep 2 gags each anymore, we were releasing 25 - 30 lbers last weekend. Marine patroll should just start looking the other way or something.
    SANY0201-1.jpg
    So Lee got anything in the plans? Them 'dines are gonna get freezer burnt...LOL
  • DougDoug St PetersburgPosts: 154 Deckhand
    even if you gave those **** accurate data they would still inflate the numbers its simply amazing our representatives allow this BS to happen.
    Well I was just wondering how many fish we were haulin' and who was getting out (maybe I could bum a ride :) ).

Hey Doug...didn't we do some fishing once? Or was that a different Doug? I seem to remember running out of gas on a night snapper trip.
  • Fintastic.IncFintastic.Inc Posts: 251 Deckhand
    217 so far.
    www.fintasticinc.com
    Lagerhead Fishing Team
    Team Cabo Loco
  • CaptBobBryantCaptBobBryant Posts: 5,716 Officer
    Here is what I find interesting

.............# of ARS.....lbs of ARS.....AVG WGHT.....# of Trips.....AVG CPUE

So either the stock is in great shape with larger fish becoming the norm and more consistency of catch...

Or...the weight numbers are manipualted to reflect a highly variable catch estimate.

Oh yeah 5 trips....
    4 person per trip over 50 fish caught and 35 fish released
    National Association of Recreational Anglers - Add Your Voice
    https://www.facebook.com/RecAnglers?notif_t=page_new_likes
    See this is what I was wondering...Do they really think that there were 20.7 million plus trips to catch 300,000 fish? If those numbers are accurate, there's some non-fishin' Muther Humpers out there.
    That is the total trips.....
    there is no way to separate out the trips as in some areas of the Gulf ARS can be caught in state waters....so statistically all I can do is look at tal the trips versus those that produce ARS...

The real CPUE is most likley around 40% menaing that 40% of trips both targeting and not targeting produce ARS...but the number of trips with opportunity is most likely around 650,000 to 700,000.

This is the folly of MRFS and soon to be MRIPS....they are not measuring the opportunity to fish.....and then measuring use against pounds when we are limited by numbers and sizes....

My prediction is that after the numbers are rerun through the new MRIPS system, because survey bias was not addressed and the mentallity of the REC ANG not considered, we will still see garbage estimates.

If you review the trip estimates (our best indicator of opportunity) you will notice that they seem unaffected by war, famine, or pestulence....
    or the economy or weather.

The data system is longitudinal in design meaning that while conditions have been in place for nearly 4 years to drive down effort, only now are the numbers beginning to show
    Well, right there is a flaw in the analysis. If the subject fish is ARS, then only trips that produced ARS should be counted. This data implies that there were all these fishing trips and the fish were so scarce that only 1 in 66 trips caught any American Reds.

Also, whoever is estimating the overall species Biomass, needs a lesson in college algebra because their numbers are always way, way off.
    They rely on a coin-toss they believe that they are 55% right...

Of course in any classroom that is an "F" and the damage it does to fishing communities is untenable

But they choose to err on the side of caution so they will always under estimate the biomass and over estimate our impact.
  • TwentyFourSevenTwentyFourSeven Posts: 93 Deckhand
    Gulf, im going out of town to California for a couple weeks.
    SANY0201-1.jpg
    Gulf, im going out of town to California for a couple weeks.

Tuna Fishin'? Go get 'em!! But don't be too disappointed because everyone knows the Gulf is the best fishing in the world!