uneven epoxy

So I'm epoxying a rod as we speak I'm having an issue with the epoxy no evening its self out on the but wrap. its trying to go with the direction of the thread and it's building up on top of the diamond part of the wrap while leaving a valley between them. Any advice?

Replies

• a_perez_13a_perez_13 Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    It sounds like you are applying too much epoxy at once. The epoxy will flow to the lowest spots. It takes 2, or simetimes even 3, coats to get a perfet even finish. Work with multiple thin coats rather than 1 thick coat.
    Hope this helps,
    Andres Perez
    Andrés Pérez
    Custom Rod Builder
    [email protected]

Blue Bay Custom Fishing Rods, LLC
    Miami Springs, Florida 33166, USA
    t 786-397-9063
    www.BlueBayRods.com
  • linemanlineman Posts: 36 Deckhand
    That's actually what I figured out I took some of it off and its evening out nicely
  • a_perez_13a_perez_13 Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Awesome. I'm glad you were able to fix it. Good luck on the rest of the build.
    Andrés Pérez
    Custom Rod Builder
    [email protected]

Blue Bay Custom Fishing Rods, LLC
    Miami Springs, Florida 33166, USA
    t 786-397-9063
    www.BlueBayRods.com
  • seanfishseanfish Posts: 254 Deckhand
    Keep in mind with an open wrap it is possible but not easy to get a perfectly smooth finish. Since the thread has true hills and valleys, so will the epoxy. After about coat #3 is cured is where you can sand it with 220 or higher grit on a sanding block to level it out fully, then coat again and repeat as necessary. Its definitely a process. See exaggeration below

^ denotes your cross pattern

---^---^---^---^---

The only way to get a true
    finish since epoxy sits on top rather than penetrates, would be to only fill valleys on the initial coats until even with the crosses then coat over both.

Hopefully that makes some sort of halfway decent sense.
  • Capt. Kevin BrotzCapt. Kevin Brotz Posts: 726 Officer
    Glad you got it figured out. Thin coats are the key to most all epoxy issues.
    We are Glad to Help!!
    Email_Banner.jpg
    Build A Better Rod!