Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Ghost Kitchen

BColleyBColley Posts: 419 Deckhand
Ever since the last change the kitchen seems to be a ghost town with an occasional comment or two. This was one of my favorite sections to come to and read and pilfer recipes and tricks from. It seems that FS really screwed up a good thing. Where has everyone gone?
JBC

Chaos Tarpon Bay
Ocean Master 31

Replies

• snake birdsnake bird Posts: 1,023 Officer
    3 wrongs make a right:huh
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,211 AG
    I wouldn't call it a Ghost town. The Kitchen has never been a major stopping point on FS. True some of the regulars have decided to stop posting due to having to navigate the mouse too much. That is their prerogative. We are still getting postings, but you may miss them if they are Recipes or Equipment post that eventually fall off the first page. At that point ( I have my first page set to 30 post) I will move them to the sub forums. As long as they stay active on the front page, they will not disappear. I guess some could post more, but I am not sure how many Ribs, Butts and smoked Chicken post people want to see after you have already done several. :shrug
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • BColleyBColley Posts: 419 Deckhand
    Then why not change it back to the way it was? Then the members will return and start posting again. This isnt the only Sub sub sub sub category that has been abandonded because of the recent changes. I for one could see a rib, butt, and smoked chicken post every day!!! I look to this forum for alot of my recipes and how to tweak my methods. But I find myself coming here a lot less due to the changes.
    JBC

Chaos Tarpon Bay
    Ocean Master 31
  • PCFisherPCFisher Posts: 269 Officer
    I don't visit as much as I use to, I mean it's only a mouse click but the kitchen area is small enough as it is.
    Tod
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    I still visit all the kitchen subs every day but I agree that it is a pain in the a$$ to navigate.
    BColley wrote: »
    Then why not change it back to the way it was? Then the members will return and start posting again. This isnt the only Sub sub sub sub category that has been abandonded because of the recent changes. I for one could see a rib, butt, and smoked chicken post every day!!! I look to this forum for alot of my recipes and how to tweak my methods. But I find myself coming here a lot less due to the changes.

Well if I was the boss, I would have done some things differently, but unfortunately, I am not. I know Blair is not responding in the speed alot of members would like, but he is watching and pointing out to the owners the members complaints.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • CalusaCalusa Posts: 11,881 Officer
    Flash wrote: »
    Well if I was the boss, I would have done some things differently

Then speak your mind dadgummit! It's your forum too Dave. Nobody's gonna hate you for breaking rank in here.
  • charlie tunacharlie tuna Posts: 730 Officer
    Sorry, but as i remember "kitchen posts" slowed down long before they re-designed it, i liked it the other way, but i don't run the thing! And since it is free, i have two choices. Do a few more clicks to possibly learn a cooking thing or two, or stay off of it................
    Calusa wrote: »
    Then speak your mind dadgummit! It's your forum too Dave. Nobody's gonna hate you for breaking rank in here.

And you don't think we have?? We just don't do it out in OT like the rest of you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

431332_307819822613107_100001552757318_899698_763777198_n.jpg
    here's my contribution... baby backs i did a week ago 2-1-1 method then slapped them on the grill for a little char
  • AbelmanAbelman Posts: 1,853 Captain
    And you don't think we have?? We just don't do it out in OT like the rest of you.

Well, since the members aren't privy to that, and I am not anymore by my own choice, I'll tell you what I suggested to Blair. Hopefully he'll follow through with a discussion as he told me this morning.

Do away with the landing page or put it someplace that if someone wants to look at it can find it.

Have two boards, The Kitchen and a sub forum for recipes.

Pretty dang simple.

I don't have a problem going on the record....that's just what I would do.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
  • T TopT Top Posts: 3,706 Captain
    I used to come here everyday, now every two weeks or so. I would not have seen this tonight if not for AM's post in OT.
  • flattitudeflattitude Posts: 536 Officer
    Well if I was the boss, I would have done some things differently, but unfortunately, I am not. I know Blair is not responding in the speed alot of members would like, but he is watching and pointing out to the owners the members complaints.

So what your saying is Blair has no power anyway and cant change a thing and that its the owners that decided to make the changes am i reading this correctly.
    So what your saying is Blair has no power anyway and cant change a thing and that its the owners that decided to make the changes am i reading this correctly.

Nope, didn't say that. He as any underling in a business must make the points to those in charge and make them aware of changes that are needed. There are those above him. Unfortunately, it takes time to get it right.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Lunch Money SurfLunch Money Surf Posts: 1,033 Officer
    For what it's worth, it seems to me that the stupid 'jump off' page is what killed everything. Used to be you could see the activity in the kitchen forum off the front page of the forum, now you can't see activity at all.

I don't think I've complained four times about this forum since I joined looooong ago... the Kitchen is my favorite forum and now we need an "Insect Recipes" subforum because there's no one in here but crickets.
  • rbricklerbrickle Posts: 239 Officer
    Abelman wrote: »
    Well, since the members aren't privy to that, and I am not anymore by my own choice, I'll tell you what I suggested to Blair. Hopefully he'll follow through with a discussion as he told me this morning.

Do away with the landing page or put it someplace that if someone wants to look at it can find it.

Have two boards, The Kitchen and a sub forum for recipes.

Pretty dang simple.

I don't have a problem going on the record....that's just what I would do.

Now that I've watched a while and seen post drop off, mine included I agree with Abelman totally. Ghost town for sure!
    rbrickle wrote: »
    Now that I've watched a while and seen post drop off, mine included I agree with Abelman totally. Ghost town for sure!

Glad to see your still alive and kicking. Was wondering how you guys faired in those storms?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• bullgatorbullgator Posts: 1,940 Officer
    The forum was made unnecessarily complex for what it is, but it's still not hard to find the Kitchen forum. Another mouse click or two? Big deal.
    bullgator wrote: »
    The forum was made unnecessarily complex for what it is, but it's still not hard to find the Kitchen forum. Another mouse click or two? Big deal.

Let me ask this.

Do you think the Kitchen is the same, worse, or better regardless of the clicks?

P.S. Flash, are you ever going to tell us what you propose as far as changes?

I mean, shouldn't it be on the table and see what the members and contributors have to say?

Think of it like a neighborhood watch group. We live here so we care what happens.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
    Let me ask this.

Do you think the Kitchen is the same, worse, or better regardless of the clicks?

P.S. Flash, are you ever going to tell us what you propose as far as changes?

I mean, shouldn't it be on the table and see what the members and contributors have to say?

Think of it like a neighborhood watch group. We live here so we care what happens.

Never thought Kitchen would get so skrued up. I know it's worse off. Look at the post count compared to before.

P.S. Abelman, you know being a mod is Flash's call to fame. Whatever he proposes the powers that really be will make the final say so.
    Well, if folks weren't concerened, I don't think we'd have so many eyes on this.

It was started yesterday and has 273 views. At this run rate, who knows what will happen.

Compare that to the sticky about the contest from Jan 26 and not a single entry.

Something just might be wrong. Perhaps it's me and if that's the case, I'll leave.
    Well, if folks weren't concerened, I don't think we'd have so many eyes on this.

It was started yesterday and has 273 views. At this run rate, who knows what will happen.

Compare that to the sticky about the contest from Jan 26 and not a single entry.

Something just might be wrong. Perhaps it's me and if that's the case, I'll leave.

You Sir are not wrong. Guys posting Kitchen stuff in OT, come on. I've already mostly left. Found other Forums that are better than all this Change.
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    I used to love the kitchen. Now too many sub forums and I hate it.
    I used to love the kitchen. Now too many sub forums and I hate it.

I know how you feel. I was asked a while back for my opinion on some changes to Kitchen. Never dreamed it would turn out like it has.

:banghead
  • flattitudeflattitude Posts: 536 Officer
    Nope, didn't say that. He as any underling in a business must make the points to those in charge and make them aware of changes that are needed. There are those above him. Unfortunately, it takes time to get it right.

Takes time to get it right... It was right he mucked it up with all the additional sub,sub sub forum..
    why do we bother to talk to him if he cannot make a decision.. who is next up the chain
    It seems that the general consensus is that the changes to the forum have done more harm than good. If there was a button that I could click similar to the ones on facebook or google mail to return to the old format I would! The old addage is very fitting in this case.. "If it aint broke don't fix it"

Well now it's broke so FIX IT!!!

As for the reason his post was moved from boat build to member dream boat was that his boat is an antique and it was more fitting in that sub sub sub sub section, the Boat Build s.s.s. Section was reserved for manufacturers builds as per the moderators comments when it was moved.

JBC

Chaos Tarpon Bay
    Ocean Master 31

Change has harmed more than the Kitchen. OT is close to 5000 views on this thread. I guess somebody goofed.

:nono
  • doghouse1122doghouse1122 Posts: 100 Greenhorn
    As a minor contributor but big fan of the kitchen, things are as far off from ok here as east is from west. Nothing but repect to the good mods of the kitchen but we have lost a HUGE part of what made this forum great and it was great. First rule when you find yourself in a hole is to stop digging.
    For what it's worth, it seems to me that the stupid 'jump off' page is what killed everything. Used to be you could see the activity in the kitchen forum off the front page of the forum, now you can't see activity at all.

That seems to be a lot of members opinions. Personally, I never see "Home" Jump off page with the way I navigate the forum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That seems to be a lot of members opinions. Personally, I never see "Home" Jump off page with the way I navigate the forum.

Well, that just proves my point as I told Blair. You as a Mod don't look at it and try and get around it. So, put it somewhere so people can look at it if they want to. Otherwise, get it out of the way. That way, at least one can tell on the main landing page if someone has posted in the kitchen.

I know Dave, as you said,

"The Kitchen has never been a major stopping point on FS........ I guess some could post more, but I am not sure how many Ribs, Butts and smoked Chicken post people want to see after you have already done several."

Figured you would have mentioned seafood in there as well given it's a kitchen and mostly FL folks.

Just seems you don't seem very interested in making this work and from that comment, it just doesn't seem to encourage members to post. Kind of a been there, done that so why bother attitude. If that's really the case, just step up and tell Blair to shut it down and delete it.

I would rather simplify it and try and claw our way back to what was a fun community.

Still want to hear what you would do if you were the boss from your previous post, and what changes you would make. I think we all would.

Thanks!