Home General Freshwater Fishing

Umbrella (Alabama) rigs

DanFDanF Posts: 24 Greenhorn
Any of you guys using these yet?

Thinking about buying two of them. If any of you have them - which brand do you recommend?

Are any of the generics such as ones made by Yum or Luck-E-Strike as good as the Mann's (original)version?

Also, what size jig heads are you using (weight-wise)?

What size and type baits are you hooking on to them?

Is a regular Flipping rod good to throw them on? What size line?

Thanks!

Replies

• Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    Bought one a couple weeks ago after reading up on them. not as hard to cast an retrive as I had thought. 3 doubles on the 'A rig" so far. it's prob just me but it somehow doesn't seem to exicting to use. Not sure that explain it or not. time wil tell how often I use it. interesting rig though

I'm using a 8ft Teramar 20-40lbs line test, a 5000 Sustain, an 50lbs braid
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • Bass2bucksBass2bucks Posts: 654 Officer
    I filmed a video of a tournament I fished with them on my blog you can check out if you'd like. I have been using the Manns original version rigged with Gambler Big EZs as the swim baits and they have worked very well. I don't recommend fishing them anywhere near grass as they snag ever thing in their path.
  • DanFDanF Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    B2B - Are you using jig heads or weighted swimbait hooks? What weight?

What kind of rod (flipping, Carolina Rig, etc) rod are you throwing them on?

I am going to Kentucky Lake in June - I would think they would work well on the ledges and offshore shell beds up there.
  • BassERTBassERT Posts: 14 Deckhand
    Male sure you are legal there
    In Tennessee the rig has to be three not 5
    Check TWRA site for the full definition to be safe.:rolleyes

Men are afraid to rock the boat in which they hope to drift safely through life's currents, when, actually, the boat is stuck on a sandbar. They would be better off to rock the boat and try to shake it loose.
    Thomas Szasz
  • Bass2bucksBass2bucks Posts: 654 Officer
    Jig head but saltwater jigs as they have heavier hooks. Throwing it on a heavy action rod.
  • DanFDanF Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    BassERT wrote: »
    Male sure you are legal there
    In Tennessee the rig has to be three not 5
    Check TWRA site for the full definition to be safe.:rolleyes

The Kentucky Lake trip will be out of Gilbertsville, Ky, and so far those A-rigs are legal in Kentucky. I have been up there 4 times - and on the trip before last finally figured out some of the offshore stuff during the heat of the day. When we found the sweet spots, Carolina rigs with big worms were the trick, although I also had some luck on one of John Crews big crankbaits. On this year's trip I am anxious to try an A-rig on some of those spots.

B2B - found your Butler Chain video and really enjoyed it. Thanks for putting those out there.
  • BassERTBassERT Posts: 14 Deckhand
    DanF wrote: »
    The Kentucky Lake trip will be out of Gilbertsville, Ky, and so far those A-rigs are legal in Kentucky. I have been up there 4 times - and on the trip before last finally figured out some of the offshore stuff during the heat of the day. When we found the sweet spots, Carolina rigs with big worms were the trick, although I also had some luck on one of John Crews big crankbaits. On this year's trip I am anxious to try an A-rig on some of those spots.

B2B - found your Butler Chain video and really enjoyed it. Thanks for putting those out there.

Glad you wont be throwing it in TN waters
    We had quite a few threads on the definition confusion for TWRA on the Chattanooga Fishing Forum and I was just trying to be helpful.
    Good luck and catch a boatload:fishing

:cool:

Men are afraid to rock the boat in which they hope to drift safely through life's currents, when, actually, the boat is stuck on a sandbar. They would be better off to rock the boat and try to shake it loose.
    Thomas Szasz
  • flystripperflystripper Posts: 50 Greenhorn
    Doesn't that rig take the fun out of fishing and honing skills. Its $25 all together right? why don't ya just troll, same thing right? For $0.50 you could fish a weedless double fluke rig and have more fun more control more visual strikes and swim em thru grass. Never hang up. Unless you need to feed bass to your family. What s the purpose? Did you cheat on all your tests in school?? Why would some states need to ban them?, Think about it? at least smash your barbs give the fish a dam chance. Don't ya want your kids to enjoy bass fishing too?