What type of bolts used for motor mounts??

Reel UmReel Um Posts: 260 Officer
I am trying to replace bolts that hold my kodiak brake calipers. After 4 yrs I replaced the pads and all the kodiak parts look great and well worth the cost for stainless steel. The bolts though are a different story.

Now I need to figure out a type of bolt to use. What type of bolts do they use to mount the motors?? Mine are 7 yrs old and show no signs of rust

Replies

• KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,845 Captain
    Stainless steel.
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    Is that a picture of a motor mount or a trailer?
  • Reel UmReel Um Posts: 260 Officer
    It is a picture of the hub and the caliper bracket for a koidak disc brake. The bolts are rusted and so is the axles arm. The arm is thick so not too concerned but the caliper bolts concerns me
    So , I spent a few hours to replace the rusted bolts. Basic zinc coated bolts. I replaced with SS bolts and lock washer. I pulled my original receipt, I paid an extra $500 for SS hardware. All visible bolts were SS but the ones I could not see without taking things apart were cheap zinc coated. I guess they figured I would have to remove rotor and caliper to see the bolts.

Typical, cut corners and cheat the customer. I hope this trailer manufacturer goes belly up
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    Are hose just holding the brakes on or something with more stress? Stainless is too brittle for most high strength applications.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
    CaptTater wrote: »
    Are hose just holding the brakes on or something with more stress? Stainless is too brittle for most high strength applications.

They just hold the brake caliper only so I do not think it needs to be that strong. I thought about galvanized also
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    Reel Um wrote: »
    They just hold the brake caliper only so I do not think it needs to be that strong. I thought about galvanized also

Why would you think that the small object trying to stop several thousand pounds of boat wouldnt need to be that strong?:huh

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
    The two long bolts that hold the caliper is holding the caliper steady. The research I did the hex cap zinc grade 5 is about the same if not less than 18-8 SS same size in tensile strength
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    I'm sure it's safe especially compared to rusty steel but I'd think shear strength is what those bolts see vs tensile. Again, how strong is a 1/2 rusted grade 5 anyway.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "