Overheat Alarm Wiring

Tarpon NoleTarpon Nole Posts: 1,857 Officer
I had noticed the last few times I went out, my self check chirp would be very faint. I pulled the remote and manually ground the alarm, and it got fainter and fainter until it stopped. Not wanting to spend $80 on a replacement omc part, I bought a $9 waterproof piezo buzzer from RadioShack.

The original alarm had two prongs connected to a purple (positive I'm guessing) a tan (coming from the sensor) and a black ground wire that is connected to the motor ground.

The new one I bought has a neg post and a positive post. When I connect the neg post to the ground wire and the pos to the purple wire, I get a constant alarm when the key is on.

I'm not sure how to wire the tan sensor into the new alarm. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

The motor is a 96 Johnson 112 spl. And has a self check chirp when you turn the key to on

Replies

• BillgranBillgran Posts: 337 Deckhand
    The Radio Shack buzzer will not have a self-test beep. You put the tan wire to the buzzer's negative terminal. The turn the key to ON and ground out the temp switch engine wiring on the cylinder head to make sure the new horn works.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
    --- Travis McGee

• Tarpon NoleTarpon Nole Posts: 1,857 Officer
    When I connect the pos to the purple wire and the neg to the tan and ground the black wire I get a constant low volume alarm

When I connect the pos to purple and neg to the ground I get a really loud constant alarm

Anyone have any ideas?
  • BillgranBillgran Posts: 337 Deckhand
    Forget about the black ground wire. With your jury-rigged Radio Shack buzzer, it is not used. Just tape it off.

If your motor is truly a 1996 or later and has the SystemCheck tach or gauge with the 4 warning lites, the warning horn will not sound unless the motor is running. If your motor is a '95 or earlier, then the horn will sound whenever the tan lead gets grounded while the key is on.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
    --- Travis McGee