Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Economy

Anybody seeing any real signs of improvement? I have yet to see any positive signs here in Tally, but the talking heads seem to think there are slight gains.
Stock market is up...but **** cost of gas/diesel is stifling!

Replies

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,269 Admiral
    Everytime I think things may be picking up a little, we backslide. No improvements in small town south Ga.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • JTRJTR Posts: 1,181 Officer
    I have not seen any improvement in Tallahassee.

It comes and goes.

One week you struggle to get everything done. The next week you struggle trying to keep busy.

The rise in fuel prices is not helping.

Cost of doing business gets higher while rates stay the same.

This crap has gotta end!
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    JTR wrote: »
    The rise in fuel prices is not helping.

Cost of doing business gets higher while rates stay the same.

This crap has gotta end!

The cost of life increases every time the cost of fuel does.
    We are being **** into submission by fuel prices
  • seabiscuitseabiscuit Posts: 1,041 Officer
    It is a narrow recovery. Technology is doing great. Housing is still pretty much flat on its back. Until housing recovers, we will not have a true recovery. Inflation remains low, but it is probably going to pop a little here due to higher oil prices.

P.S. Got an email today from Summercamp - you can buy a pretty nice, brand new beach cottage for $300k.
  • charlie tunacharlie tuna Posts: 730 Officer
    We have had a positive increase on housing starts , following the increase in house sales.
  • plumbbobplumbbob Posts: 791 Officer
    I haven't seen any change here in Tall. The high cost of fuel will cripple any progress.
    Like JTR said, one week on, one week off.
  • wishfishinwishfishin Posts: 4,080 Captain
    Average Joe continues to suffer. Some places I visit are beginning to look like a third world country.
    1268964408215_zps1ab1a85e.gif
  • diamondbackdiamondback Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    IMO everything is lining up to be another fall.If gas prices top 4 bucks,I expect a second wave by the end of the summer.Stock market is almost where it was in 2008 as well as gas prices and big companies are reving up but showing signs of stalling.Now we also have to deal with the inflation that is still left over from 08 as well.IMO obama will pull a rabbit out of his hat a month or 2 before the election to drop gas prices just to buy votes.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,193 AG
    Seen some homes sell, some homes being built. DIL finally got a job as a friend of hers did. Gas prices do s **** though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    We have had a positive increase on housing starts , following the increase in house sales.

Where would this be?
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    plumbbob wrote: »
    I haven't seen any change here in Tall. The high cost of fuel will cripple any progress.
    Like JTR said, one week on, one week off.
    Yes, I agree with both of you
  • JFSJFS Posts: 115 Officer
    the family room/ den... Things must be looking up... We are fortunate.
  • Sopchoppy RedneckSopchoppy Redneck Posts: 1,421 Officer
    Today we lose another mom n pop store. Lou's Bait and Tackle will shutter it's doors at 9 tonight :mad It started out as Hodge's store, my Uncle Carlton bought it in the early 70s and it became Evans Bait and Tackle. My dad helped run the store and around 75 or so, we took out the clothing sectoin, built a walkin cooler and expanded the rear of the store "LB Allen, LC Porter and myself doing most of the work". Carlton sold it to the Barton's some time in the 90s "I think" and it has been Lou's since then, never closed "except for vacation" in all those years. That just leaves the Express Lane and the small IGA in Sopchoppy "with the Express Lane being the only gas station":banghead It's still tuff out there folks!!
    YouDontLikeMe.jpg
  • BigfootBigfoot Posts: 9,383 Admiral
    Seeing a "few" houses being built here in Milton
    Resales are happening - spotty - most people I know are holding onto what they have as best posssible.
    Many new car tags seen on the road - Dealerships are moving cars...this is an early sign of recovery.
    North ATL is probably doing better with all the Fortune 500 companies
    ATL BIZ continues to report "hiring".
    Temp Staffing businesses are @ all time highs, another sign of recovery.

The new normal - much more competitive marketplace where customer service & quality of goods is a "must". Expectations from consumers have risen and people looking for work need all the check marks to get hired...

A more competitive environment, where an expert in one's field is truly an expert with real experience...is good for our economy. EZPZ credit lets everyone "pretend" they are...which landed us here in the first place. Anyone with a truck and hammer was all of a sudden a "Contractor", etc.

We all adjust - this is nothing new really. Be responsible, live within your means, etc. Most people that visit the NW are making these choices - no surprise there.
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 3,541 Captain
    Albany continues to dwindle away. Lost over 800 residential customers in the last 5 years on the West side of Slappey. I can only guess that the East side is probably worse. Losing mom n pop business monthly as they go out of business
    hooknreds wrote: »
    Where would this be?

This would be Columbia County -- the "Gateway To Florida". Consider how many people have retired over the last ten years that this housing mess has been hanging over the real estate market. With the slightest positive change of allowing people to sell their northern homes, Florida will be "swamped" with housing starts. I have a neighbor who in the site work business, and he has all his trucks back on the road.
    Albany continues to dwindle away. Lost over 800 residential customers in the last 5 years on the West side of Slappey. I can only guess that the East side is probably worse. Losing mom n pop business monthly as they go out of business

I heard the same thing from parents on my visit last week...dang!
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    This would be Columbia County -- the "Gateway To Florida". Consider how many people have retired over the last ten years that this housing mess has been hanging over the real estate market. With the slightest positive change of allowing people to sell their northern homes, Florida will be "swamped" with housing starts. I have a neighbor who in the site work business, and he has all his trucks back on the road.

I'm not an expert but IMO Florida can't be grouped into one area. There are so many variables, such as I95 corridor is mostly NE folks, I75 corridor is mostly midwestern folks, panhandle is mostly southern folks. So before you see recovery in those 3 sections of Florida you need recovery in the other areas mentioned. That is if you are counting on out of state folks to revive the housing business in your area.
    I don't know the numbers but I'd like to know what the housing surplus currently is in different areas of Florida. I don't think you'll see real recovery in the building industry until the surplus is gone.
  • reel cowboyreel cowboy Posts: 565 Officer
    Not much has changed around here. Finally had to break down and bought a new car for the wife, her Tahoe was killing us on gas (60 miles a day didn't help) but got a pretty great deal on the Lincoln and at least 50% better fuel economy. My truck still drinks it like a frat boy but whatca gonna do?
    Our company is staying busy and with some new project on the books so we're doing well & the wife's job is very secure.
  • tapatetapate Posts: 5,263 Admiral
    Cost of living is getting higher. Health Ins, Gas, Ins costs in general trending up, Food costs up, and most important of all...BEER PRICES ARE UP! I can't even BEER MYSELF for under 10 bucks a 12r these days.
  • Nat-LightNat-Light Posts: 451 Deckhand
    It seems the cost of living is going up and wages are not. A direct consequence of the economic downturn has been a lowering of the standard of living of the American worker. In order for us to recover, we will have to see a dramatic shift in unemployment coupled with increased wages. I think a large number of companies have learned to operate with a leaner and meaner work force which probably means some better margins/profitability. It will be interesting to see how corporate America responds. I know a number of folks that were approaching retirement before this whole thing hit. Many got the triple whammy of watching their investments going down the tube, losing their jobs, and having to use retirement savings to make ends meet at a time when they were at or near the pinnacle of their earning capacity. We now have a large number of seniors that are going to most likely have to stay in the workforce until their dying breath. Another consequence of the recession has been a tendency by those who have lost employment to seek some manner of higher education or training. While a highly educated work force is desirable, the financial benefits of higher education wane as higher education/training becomes the norm. Their was a time when a high school degree was ones ticket to play in the big game- Now we are approaching an arena where, in some cases, a college degree is not enough. I'd suspect that we have a number of people who have acquired a considerable amount of debt through student loans, and are not going to be pleasantly surprised when they have to start paying them back. Heck, some the best performing stocks have been "education" stocks. I don't think we will see a major upstart in the housing market until credit loosens up for buyers. A major challenge for the housing/banking industry is going to be how to get consumers with foreclosures, bankruptcy, late payments etc. back into the housing market. If the big banks, Fannie and Freddie- don't provide the funds, I'd suspect we will see another burgeoning of the "sub-prime" mortgage market. I don't think the attitude has changed, our economic model is based on consumerism and debt. The boom-bust cycle is becoming less intermittent, so I'm just wondering what is going to be the next bubble to pop. We are slaves to the banks.
  • LiveLineLiveLine Wakulla County, FloridaPosts: 1,918 Captain
    Today we lose another mom n pop store. Lou's Bait and Tackle will shutter it's doors at 9 tonight :mad It started out as Hodge's store, my Uncle Carlton bought it in the early 70s and it became Evans Bait and Tackle. My dad helped run the store and around 75 or so, we took out the clothing sectoin, built a walkin cooler and expanded the rear of the store "LB Allen, LC Porter and myself doing most of the work". Carlton sold it to the Barton's some time in the 90s "I think" and it has been Lou's since then, never closed "except for vacation" in all those years. That just leaves the Express Lane and the small IGA in Sopchoppy "with the Express Lane being the only gas station":banghead It's still tuff out there folks!!

I think Sally's is close to closing too.....:(
  • reel estatereel estate Posts: 1,402 Officer
    from my little perspective,my business is picking up significantly....unfortunately its people not able to sell there homes and looking for me to find a tenant and get there overhead covered....small businesses closing all over Albany,Ga.......being a commercial properties owner have seen the vacancy rise but the businesses vacated were to be expected;mortgage real estate for non profit offices and small business.
    Have rented about 7k sq ft in the last 4months commercially so i wouldn't classify a dire front.
    Consider myself a little lucky to be in a positive situation in my field in this economy,planning well and controlling the spending has served us well and atleast our hands are still stearing the wheel.
    Nat-Light wrote: »
    It seems the cost of living is going up and wages are not. A direct consequence of the economic downturn has been a lowering of the standard of living of the American worker. In order for us to recover, we will have to see a dramatic shift in unemployment coupled with increased wages. I think a large number of companies have learned to operate with a leaner and meaner work force which probably means some better margins/profitability. It will be interesting to see how corporate America responds. I know a number of folks that were approaching retirement before this whole thing hit. Many got the triple whammy of watching their investments going down the tube, losing their jobs, and having to use retirement savings to make ends meet at a time when they were at or near the pinnacle of their earning capacity. We now have a large number of seniors that are going to most likely have to stay in the workforce until their dying breath. Another consequence of the recession has been a tendency by those who have lost employment to seek some manner of higher education or training. While a highly educated work force is desirable, the financial benefits of higher education wane as higher education/training becomes the norm. Their was a time when a high school degree was ones ticket to play in the big game- Now we are approaching an arena where, in some cases, a college degree is not enough. I'd suspect that we have a number of people who have acquired a considerable amount of debt through student loans, and are not going to be pleasantly surprised when they have to start paying them back. Heck, some the best performing stocks have been "education" stocks. I don't think we will see a major upstart in the housing market until credit loosens up for buyers. A major challenge for the housing/banking industry is going to be how to get consumers with foreclosures, bankruptcy, late payments etc. back into the housing market. If the big banks, Fannie and Freddie- don't provide the funds, I'd suspect we will see another burgeoning of the "sub-prime" mortgage market. I don't think the attitude has changed, our economic model is based on consumerism and debt. The boom-bust cycle is becoming less intermittent, so I'm just wondering what is going to be the next bubble to pop. We are slaves to the banks.

some great points made...

Hasn't History shown this cycle before and our abilty as a Nation to rebound??? GDP ratio skyrocketed from 44 percent to over 100 during WWII - over the next decade after the War - Gov't reduced spending on Military and overall spending bringing the ratio down to half...Solid tax revnues coupled with reduced spending allowed the US to run budget surpluses for years after the WW II -

seems to me, we are seeing this unfold today once again. Medicare, Medicaid and SS are a part of the equation now, so not as easy to cut overall spending...

There's allot of "new" ways to make a living these days, current short term renter in Roswell house is here for 2 months with solid bookings on "Social Media" classes - he's making bookoo bucks, because there is a market and he's dang good @ what he does...

Also, allot of distressed properties are being bought up by investment groups getting over 25% ROI on rental incomes...1 local company here has over one thousand properties already - employing many to refurb, maintain and manage...
    Olive Garden is demolishing the old Holiday Inn by the mall for new location.....we'll pay to eat out for sure.
  • tapatetapate Posts: 5,263 Admiral
    but what about the BEER?
    tapate wrote: »
    but what about the BEER?

The Grocery store bill is up significantly!
    All the U.S. car manufacturers are facing not enough stock to supply consumer demands. The last recession - 1992 had a fast recovery -so fast, that most of us were not effected. As many posted, businesses and private sector programs are operating with very lean budgets after cutting all the fat out of their operations. Those businesses that have already seen a turn around, are benifiting big profits by their lean run efficiencies. Most large city commercial properties have been very busy for nearly two years. As in 1993, when consumer confidence kicks in, the economy will bounce back quickly. It's sad to see many of the small "mom and pop" stores folding up, the better ones will return with the economy.
    Grocery (beer) prices will rise with fuel costs and sad to say, they probably will not go down with fuel costs?? What can you expect from big oil????
    All the U.S. car manufacturers are facing not enough stock to supply consumer demands. The last recession - 1992 had a fast recovery -so fast, that most of us were not effected. As many posted, businesses and private sector programs are operating with very lean budgets after cutting all the fat out of their operations. Those businesses that have already seen a turn around, are benifiting big profits by their lean run efficiencies. Most large city commercial properties have been very busy for nearly two years. As in 1993, when consumer confidence kicks in, the economy will bounce back quickly. It's sad to see many of the small "mom and pop" stores folding up, the better ones will return with the economy.
    Grocery (beer) prices will rise with fuel costs and sad to say, they probably will not go down with fuel costs?? What can you expect from big oil????

I read this as I think also, you have to run a tight ship and be focused to remain "in" business...remain current, competitive and hungry...service, service, service. Not rocket science.
    Very true, "service,service,service" -- customers will not forget this and return to a business that provides it ! Any successful business owner needs to know when to close a non-profitable business down and save the necessary funds to re-open it, not just run it into the ground...