Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Crystal River Kings Bay Manatee Restrictions

Dear CCA members,

CCA Florida has recently sent a letter to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) opposing their plan to increase the manatee regulations in Kings Bay, Crystal River on the basis that the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) state regulations already cover all of the areas that are proposed for additional regulations. CCA ultimately is concerned over angler access to these areas and the Gulf of Mexico. The USFWS proposal has caused a huge backlash among many interested groups. The Crystal River City Council and the Citrus County Commission have both voted unanimously to oppose the proposed plan. Anglers and other boaters have showed up in large numbers at public hearings to oppose the federal plan. These unwarranted additional federal regulations will undermine the support of local government and other groups which are necessary to maintain long term protection of manatees and access for water users.

The link below is a petition that has been created by the Save Crystal River group. Please help out your CCA Florida members that live and play in Crystal River by clicking on the link to help keep more unnecessary federal regulations out of state waters.

savecrystalriver.com/petition/
Tight Lines, Steve
My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers

Replies

• shuterkngshuterkng Posts: 869 Officer
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,835 Captain
    The ONLY reason the Citrus Board of County Clowns opposed the regs is because of their up coming elections. Otherwise, they couldn't care less about boaters and the river. Don't confuse the two and spew false info.
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,940 AG
    surfman wrote: »
    Dear CCA members,

CCA Florida has recently sent a letter to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) opposing their plan to increase the manatee regulations in Kings Bay, Crystal River on the basis that the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) state regulations already cover all of the areas that are proposed for additional regulations. CCA ultimately is concerned over angler access to these areas and the Gulf of Mexico. The USFWS proposal has caused a huge backlash among many interested groups. The Crystal River City Council and the Citrus County Commission have both voted unanimously to oppose the proposed plan. Anglers and other boaters have showed up in large numbers at public hearings to oppose the federal plan. These unwarranted additional federal regulations will undermine the support of local government and other groups which are necessary to maintain long term protection of manatees and access for water users.

The link below is a petition that has been created by the Save Crystal River group. Please help out your CCA Florida members that live and play in Crystal River by clicking on the link to help keep more unnecessary federal regulations out of state waters.

savecrystalriver.com/petition/
    WOW! CCA sure took the lead in this fight. This has been a hot issue in this area for months.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    Yes I know and they are not claiming to take the lead on anything just trying to help get the word out, and you are doing what?

Dockside what false info are you referring to, are you saying that the city and county councils did not vote against this, if you are then you would be the one spewing false info. As far as their reasons well what other reason does any politician do anything for crying out loud.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,940 AG
    surfman wrote: »
    Yes I know and they are not claiming to take the lead on anything just trying to help get the word out, and you are doing what?[/QUOTE/]I water ski every chance I get in Kings Bay, I read the local paper. What more can I do?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.