Three LUNKER snook losses...The agony of defeat 6/26 , 6/28

WARNING STORY OF EPIC DEFEAT
So on sunday about 5:30PM I decide to wander over to Stevenson's Creek since we had a ton of rain that day. I have caught many many snook in the creek during similar conditions. I have a mullet colored bodonk-a-donk on and I cast up creek first cast nothing. Second cast seems to produce nothing. At the end of my retrieve about 10 feet from me the water ERUPTS and I see a MONSTER linesider attached to my line. When I say monster I mean about a 45" 25+lber.

I have my light 10-15lb gear with 20lb power pro. Needless to say my heart is now about to beat out of chest and she start zinging my penn slammer. I have her on about a minute and she decides to go for the pilings. She makes it all the way around and back again and shes still on. I decide i need to swim for this one so in I go. I am about waist deep working my rod around the pilings . I get to the last piling and I realize she is a foot from me just laying on the surface so I go for the grab. I get my hand around the bottom lip and she wasnt having that and BOOM shes off again. One of the hooks cut my finger and I tripped and fell COMPLETELY in and she busts off. SO this is bad but then I realize my iPhone 4 is in my pocket, RUINED!!! AHHHHHHHH OMG!!!

So I go home utterly defeated. Yesterday after I left the AT&T store with a new phone I decide it is time for a rematch. I get down there about 5PM conditions are perfect, oovercast lots of run off and a low and out going tide. In almost an indentical repeat of Sunday the second cast with the bone colored skitterwalk gets BLASTED. Another absolute SLOB. This big girl was jumping like crazy so i got a good look at her and she was every bit of 42-44" and about 9" or more across the shoulders. I have her on for about a minute an she flips and busts the leader. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

So now i am done playing around. I go back to the car and get my 50-80lb tarpon rod with 100lb flouro leader. There are menhaden everywhere and i net about a fifty in one throw. I can only keep about half dozen alive in the 5 gallon bucket so i start tossing them out and it looks like a bombing range. Alomst every one was exploded upon. I frantically put one on the hook and toss it in to the chaos. Immediately about a 30"er grabs it but promptly spits the hook, I just can't win. I get back to my bucket and all but one of menhaden are already dead. I throwher out and nothing. I walk back to the car and get my 9" mullet colored skitter-pop and trek back down.

YET AGAIN first cast gets popped way out by a smaller fish and when I am about 10 feet from me First cast YET AGAIN gets popped way out by a smaller fish and when it reaches the same spot as before EXPLOSION. This is the big bertha this time this was 30lbs, no doubt, it dwarfed the 42"er I caught in Curlew Creek five years ago. She came up for a head shake and as if i hadn't had been smited by the snook gods enough she throws the plug out and laughs at me. OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG is all i can say. I have caught hundreds of snook in my 23 years, and two over 40", but never fish like. All three of these fish would have topped my previous best and the last one was the fish of life time.

As the title said , the agony of defeat. But to see a silver lining i will be back and armed for battle. Hooking and losing a monster on topwater sure as hell beats not hooking any snooks. I felt bad that those fish had plugs still in their mouth. The hooks were not stainless so the barbs should rust out pretty fast. I saw the first lunker i hooked yesterday three times over the next hour leadping out of the water trying to shake the hook. My heart wrenched a little but what can I do??? She will be fine, shes probably already spit it. So if you got a creek near you get down the after those heavy rains.
Catch 'em and Release 'em!
http://tampaurbanangler.blogspot.com/

Replies

• pupraiserpupraiser Posts: 10,261 AG
    Can ya break that down into paragraphs? I almost had a seizure.:p
  • sharkatak1089sharkatak1089 Posts: 6,407 Officer
    Snell your circle hooks, brraaa. I can't recall the last lime I missed a fish with snelled circles..hardly ever. Better luck next time, holmes.
    I am choice.
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.
  • IndianoutlawIndianoutlaw Posts: 550 Officer
    pupraiser wrote: »
    Can ya break that down into paragraphs? I almost had a seizure.:p

Me too! and some of that was duplicated in the post as well.
    P1000022_2.jpg
  • SnookmeisterSnookmeister Posts: 1,035 Officer
    LOL sorry about all that mess in my post, didnt mean to cause any siezures. I am at work and I totally spaced, or should I say not spaced. So i feel ya on the snelled hooks but that wasnt the issue, the only smaller one I hooked just flipped off all together. The Lunkers were on topwaters and just cut the leader or just didnt get hooked entirely.

This is a very sporty spot to fish. The creek is only about 20 ft wide and the bridge is directly to my right. Anyone who fishes for big snook knows that you are always at disadvangtage and the spots they frequent are usually hazardous and full of snags. If you could see this spot; snelled hooks, no snell, grouper tackle, whatever you want it doesnt matter they have the upper hand. I have caught many snook in this spot and only about half of the time are you able to land them.
  • thinfisherthinfisher Posts: 326 Officer
    ttiwwop.gif
    OK I'll give you that since you lost all the hooked fish. Try changing out rear hooks to VMC if you haven't done so already = More Hookups and Hold-Ons.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Family, Friends and the Outdoors - Obama = PRICELESS
  • SnookoneSnookone Posts: 48 Greenhorn
    Great read. Sounds like my type of creek. Keep'em tight bro.
  • unclevernameunclevername Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    Snell your circle hooks, brraaa. I can't recall the last lime I missed a fish with snelled circles..hardly ever. Better luck next time, holmes.

This is the best advice I ever got on this forum. I was losing grouper left and right three years ago and someone told me to snell the hook and I rarely lose one now. It made an amazing difference.
  • rocknreel23rocknreel23 Posts: 85 Greenhorn
    Thats bad luck or something. Get back out and get your lure back.
  • EggsuckindogEggsuckindog Posts: 1,528 Officer
    I thought it was a great post and showed the excitement, never get down that way but have heard about it
    1976 SeaCraft master Angler - Merc 200 XRi
    dscf1243-1.jpg
  • MoondawgMoondawg Posts: 214 Officer
    Great post and exciting stuff, I was headed to bed but that story woke me up:) I personally use VMC permasteel hooks in all my lures, they resist the saltwater as long as they're rinsed off after fishing, but leave them in the water and they will corrode. I lost a lure yesterday to a lunker snook and I also felt bad but I'm pretty sure they can get them out (I hope) without a line attached. Great post and great story!!
    Just 'cause the sun don't shine, doesn't mean you can't go fishin'..
    http://www.sixwavelures.com
    100% Handcrafted Wooden Lures & Jig Heads
  • SquidfiddleSquidfiddle Posts: 30 Deckhand
    Somebody told me on here that snook are real heartbreakers and I couldnt agree more:Rockon
  • LilcthefishslayerLilcthefishslayer Posts: 611 Officer
    Sorry to hear about that. Enjoy having tons of ppl fish that spot with you from now on. Grew up fishing that spot and have caught some real nice bruisers there. I also lost a 40+ incher 2 nights ago at some spillway on a lure.
  • SnookmeisterSnookmeister Posts: 1,035 Officer
    It's all good , let them come the creek is miles long and they bite in the inconspicuous spots. On top of that only the MOST hardcore guys would be willing to fish in the way that is required and the fish only bite like that maybe a week of days out of 365. I respect your words thoroughly but if it were not for info on this forum I would not have become the angler I am today. If only the hardcore guys can get on them I am not worried about, atleast they will likely respect the fish.
  • LilcthefishslayerLilcthefishslayer Posts: 611 Officer
    Well from my experience fishing there they make their presence known! :) All good just throwing the heads up. Last of the outgoing when you were hooking up or incoming. They usually are always busting mullet there, caught a big *** mack the other day there. The big girls were blowing up everywhere.
    This is the best advice I ever got on this forum. I was losing grouper left and right three years ago and someone told me to snell the hook and I rarely lose one now. It made an amazing difference.

I've been doing it for almost 2 years. It is UNREAL how many more fish I've put in the boat/landing net these last couple years. The guy that got me going on it said he fished a **** ton of billfish tournaments and all the big name boats would ONLY snell their hooks. As far as I'm concerned, they do it for a reason.
    I am choice.
    LOL sorry about all that mess in my post, didnt mean to cause any siezures. I am at work and I totally spaced, or should I say not spaced. So i feel ya on the snelled hooks but that wasnt the issue, the only smaller one I hooked just flipped off all together. The Lunkers were on topwaters and just cut the leader or just didnt get hooked entirely.

This is a very sporty spot to fish. The creek is only about 20 ft wide and the bridge is directly to my right. Anyone who fishes for big snook knows that you are always at disadvangtage and the spots they frequent are usually hazardous and full of snags. If you could see this spot; snelled hooks, no snell, grouper tackle, whatever you want it doesnt matter they have the upper hand. I have caught many snook in this spot and only about half of the time are you able to land them.

Snell em and let me know how many fish throw the hook on you. I'm teeeellliing you man, you will land 99% of your fish.
    I am choice.
  • PattonC222PattonC222 Posts: 286 Officer
    Sounds like it was not meant to be..

As far as snelling yeah it works fine but again that was not the issue here. Whats he going to do snell his topwater? Yeah you will land more fish in open water not a 20 ft wide creek it will make no difference in a tactical situation with snags and debris to worry about.