Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Jig Head Alternative

On a thread abbout soft plastics Ponce asked me a question about jig heads. I thought I would share this old trick we used on Lake Erie for smallmouth bass before we could buy wide gap jig heads. Smallmouths like sea trout hit the surface and jump and shake as soon as they were hooked often throwing the jig before landing them. The weight of a jighead offers leverage for the fish to use to help throw the hook. Using bullet weights and worm hooks this is a great (and cheaper) alternative to jig heads. Most bass fisherman will reconize this as a texas rig with a twist. Using a loop knot to tie on your hook keeps the weight in place until the fish shakes it loose then there is very little leverage left for the fish to throw the hook. A few different sized hooks and weights gives you lots of options as to weight / hook gap. This rig workjs well under a cork as well as a simple way to present soft plastics along the bottom. This configuration also allows you to rig weedless.

Note the loop knot at the hook
DSC_0051-2.jpg

Weight is kept next to the hook by the knot
DSC_0052-1.jpg
This place Rocks if yer a crabber

Replies

• poppadockpoppadock Posts: 140 Officer
    A round tooth pick will keep your bullet weight in place too.
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Captain
    poppadock wrote: »
    A round tooth pick will keep your bullet weight in place too.

yes it will but it wont release when the fish shakes it's head
  • tekmunkitekmunki Posts: 668 Officer
    Do you know of anyone who sells painted bullet weights for added presentation? One of the only advantages of the jig head is the added realism of painted eyeballs and an attractive color, adding to presentation- I've switched to this method after our trip out and haven't used a jig head since- although I've had more success with it- I'd like to improve upon it if possible by adding color and eyeballs.
    sigsmallx.jpg
    Q: How much fishing equipment can a man have before his wife throws him out?
    A: I do not know for sure; however, I believe that the experiment is almost complete!
    troutman57 wrote: »
    yes it will but it wont release when the fish shakes it's head
    Paint'em yourself with enamel or nail polish. You can buy black ones.
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,536 Captain
    That last set up works good around mangroves with large bodied slug-o type baits like the Exude DART. I thing the rig is called a uni-bullet. It keeps the jig from catching mangrove roots when skipped underneath them.
  • LineDriveLineDrive Posts: 136 Officer
    ripnlips wrote: »
    That last set up works good around mangroves with large bodied slug-o type baits like the Exude DART. I thing the rig is called a uni-bullet. It keeps the jig from catching mangrove roots when skipped underneath them.

Glad you said that neighbor, as my question was going to be how would that set up work for throwing DARTS and Cal jerk shads for reds around oyster bars?
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,946 Admiral
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,536 Captain
    LineDrive wrote: »
    Glad you said that neighbor, as my question was going to be how would that set up work for throwing DARTS and Cal jerk shads for reds around oyster bars?

I almost always throw either a topwater skitterwalk or a floating rattletrap when fishing oysters. Nearly everything else seems to hang up much more often. Maybe I ain't doing it right. :shrug
  • tekmunkitekmunki Posts: 668 Officer
    Paint'em yourself with enamel or nail polish.

Then I'd only catch ladyfish...

*zing*
    sigsmallx.jpg
    Q: How much fishing equipment can a man have before his wife throws him out?
    A: I do not know for sure; however, I believe that the experiment is almost complete!
    I almost always throw either a topwater skitterwalk or a floating rattletrap when fishing oysters. Nearly everything else seems to hang up much more often. Maybe I ain't doing it right. :shrug

I normally throw Skitterwalks as well, until it becomes later in the day. I rig the DART and CAL weedless, which does help me from getting hung up on oyster bars as well. When my buddy throws spoons, he loses 4 a trip. I also have not gotten a red the past few trips out, but think I need to start heading south instead of north of YT.
    That rig works great over oyster bars when I use it w/o the weight but I perfer mirrominnows.
    That rig works great over oyster bars when I use it w/o the weight but I perfer mirrominnows.

Maybe next trip out I need to try the mirrominnow. Got a few of them and just haven't used them. Thanks, TM.
  • angler18angler18 Posts: 2,037 Captain

When I am fishing oyster bars throwing soft plastic, I rig it texas style with no weight at all. I usually only go with weight when I absolutely have to, if the wind is blowing, current really strong, or I am fishing in water over 3 ft. deep. The less terminal tackle the better!