Minn Kota Trolling motor brackets

FlashFlash Posts: 11,120 AG
If getting the same length shaft, are the mounting brackets inter-changable? Can I mount a new motor to an old bracket?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

Replies

• kanakakanaka Posts: 343 Deckhand
    Maybe. E-M MK. You going to try the transom motor swap to the front?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,120 AG
    kanaka wrote: »
    Maybe. E-M MK. You going to try the transom motor swap to the front?

No, I did that on my old Critchfield but got the bow mount for the KW. I cannot see it being much different and since mounting it was a PITA, would be nice if I can just move the shaft and motor over to the old bracket. Spare bracket for later if it goes south.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    I tried to break the allen head bolts loose before and I **** near twisted the allen wrench. Never got the bolt loose either. Good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • doolittle3701doolittle3701 Posts: 162 Deckhand
    I tried to break the allen head bolts loose before and I **** near twisted the allen wrench. Never got the bolt loose either. Good luck.
    Flash: There are several products available that will make loosening frozen nuts and bolts easier. Blaster is a good one, and liquid wrench probably makes a good one. Remember SS bolts and nuts are quite brittle, so don't force them. A little shock is better than too much twisting.
    Bob
    PS: when you bolt the new motor to the old bracket be sure to use Permatex aviation gasket sealer on the threads. Don't use any product that contains a metal in the formulation such as never sieze unless you use the one for salt water. The metal in the ordinary never sieze can set up galvanic corrosion in the threads.
    The trolling motor I was messing with was less than a month old. I suspected Locktite on the bolts because I tried Kroil (which blows PB away) no joy. Maybe an impact wrench but I'll bet the hex areas are gonna be buggered when they come out. Might be a one time use item.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,120 AG
    Flash: There are several products available that will make loosening frozen nuts and bolts easier. Blaster is a good one, and liquid wrench probably makes a good one. Remember SS bolts and nuts are quite brittle, so don't force them. A little shock is better than too much twisting.
    Bob
    PS: when you bolt the new motor to the old bracket be sure to use Permatex aviation gasket sealer on the threads. Don't use any product that contains a metal in the formulation such as never sieze unless you use the one for salt water. The metal in the ordinary never sieze can set up galvanic corrosion in the threads.

Well no bolts involved actually in just adding the motor. The bracket just unscrews and the motor shaft lays down into the bracket and the U support. Tighten back up and good to go. Atleast I think. :huh
    Since I could not get to the bottom side of deck, to tighten any bolts when attaching motor's base, I did attach the base with a pull thru plastic/metal Toggle type item and it has worked very well. Just drilled holes where I mounted it and aligned with base of TM. I think I still have one left, not sure of their name, but it has never once given me trouble.

Here they are, bottom of page 6.

http://www.industrialbolt.com/downloads/Anchors.pdf
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• doolittle3701doolittle3701 Posts: 162 Deckhand
    The trolling motor I was messing with was less than a month old. I suspected Locktite on the bolts because I tried Kroil (which blows PB away) no joy. Maybe an impact wrench but I'll bet the hex areas are gonna be buggered when they come out. Might be a one time use item.
    I am familiar with those items. They are called togglers. I have never used them , but I have been lucky and have been able to access the underside of any deck I needed to bolt to.
    Flash, this thread is useless without pics of what yer trying to swap. Is it a Bowguard 360 or Latch and Door system????? :huh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]