Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

GULP sand fleas or crabs?

Makin' a list for supplies for the SGI surf/bay fishing trip. Need some new GULP shrimp but see Cabela's has GULP sand fleas and peeler crab baits as well.

Opinions on their effectiveness? Used live fleas last year and they never caught a fish. Local that gave them to us said they were his go-to for pompano. All the pompano, Spanish etc we got came on cut shrimp...

Eric

Replies

• JTRJTR Posts: 1,181 Officer
    Sand fleas are the go to for pompano on SGI.

It's been a while since we fished from SGI but with shrimp and sand fleas, ya can't go wrong.

Never used the GULP baits.
  • BigfootBigfoot Posts: 9,383 Admiral
    Never used he GULP fleas, but all other Gulp has kicked butt for me - NEW Penny is the color....
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • GANDERGANDER Posts: 371 Deckhand
    Think I'll give the other GULP baits a try. Sale price + rebate they're about 2-4-1 right now. Will post up the results of the "taste test"!

Tying up some pompano rigs today! After 5" of snow on Friday I think I'm really ready for this trip to get started!!
  • Nat-LightNat-Light Posts: 451 Deckhand
    The Gulp sandfleas are worthless IMO. I've tried them numerous times and they've never produced. Ghost shrimp and sandfleas are the best baits imo, followed by fresh dead peeled shrimp. Maybe you will have different results.
  • bbbbbb Posts: 1,035 Officer
    Stop at Carrabelle beach and get the real thing with a sand flea rake.

That is, I guess they are still there. You could see them running in the surf this summer.

Also try to catch some off the beach at St George.

I'd much rather have the live sand fleas for Pompano.