Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Trigger X

Hi all.
Rapala bought out thr "TriggerX" brand of gulp type scented soft plastics. I had won a couple packages of it here at FS and had decent success with it. I did notice it is much tougher than gulp and stays put on the hook better. Please chime in with your experience with triggerx. I would like to try it again but here I can't seem to find a retailer that carries it.
This place Rocks if yer a crabber

Replies

• PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,946 Admiral
    Never tried them Kyle, I always used the Gulp and liked there product. I might give them a try, I just hate change character0129.gif
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Captain
    PONCE wrote: »
    Never tried them Kyle, I always used the Gulp and liked there product. I might give them a try, I just hate change character0129.gif
    Kevin I hear ya....The good attribute of the product is they don't get chewed to a nub real quick like gulp will. For a dollar a piece it is worth looking around to me. I will be getting some and will report my success or lack there of...using it. If this wind ever stops blowing I got a solo date with some trout and reds!
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,728 Captain
    I have a neighbor who uses them and he rant and raves about them. I'm still not sure, as Gulp works fine, for my use. I may get a pack and see if they make any difference.

Besides, even though I'm a jig and Gulp type guy, I've been throwing MirrOdines lately. :)

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • tim01tim01 Posts: 37 Deckhand
    I've had just as much success with Trigger-X as Gulp. What I like about them though is that they last much longer than Gulp baits, in fact I've had some of those clear 4" shrimp that I have been using for over a year now. I soak them in the gulp juice once they have been used. I haven't been able to find them locally either but there are several retailers online.
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,728 Captain
    tim01 wrote: »
    I've had just as much success with Trigger-X as Gulp. What I like about them though is that they last much longer than Gulp baits, in fact I've had some of those clear 4" shrimp that I have been using for over a year now. I soak them in the gulp juice once they have been used. I haven't been able to find them locally either but there are several retailers online.

Sports Authority, in Spring Hill had them, although that isn't even locally for me. But I do get down there once in awhile.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • The DaveThe Dave Posts: 486 Deckhand
    I have used them a few times. I got them late in the season last year so I haven't had the chance to use them too much. I did not have as much luck as I do with Gulp, but I will have to give it an hon=est chance once it warms up a bit. They are a lot more durable than Gulp, which is a major plus.I can't stand when the pinfish nibble away at the gulps, and this didn't happen one time with the Trigger-X.
    I'll think of something witty to put here.....
    I was in West Marine in CR today and they had 3 different colors of the shrimp on hand - root beer, nuclear chicken, and a clear/yellow color. they were about $8 / pack
    Hey Kyle , you fish dim Trigger X under a popping cork or jigging or both confused0081.gif
    Hey Kyle , you fish dim Trigger X under a popping cork or jigging or both confused0081.gif
    I almost never use corks and never use jigs...here is what I do. Since jigheads with good proper gap hooks are hard to find. Since jigheads have the weight as part of the hook giving the trout leverage to throw the hook as it shakes its head. I use 3/0-5/0 straight shanked worm hooks and bullet weights that slide right down to the hook (knocker style or texas style). That is how I fish soft plastics weather beneath a cork or not. If you tie the hook on with a loop knot the bullet weight tends to stay right next to the hook except when the trout shakes his head at the surface. Then it slide freely up the line. This set up allows you to use any combo of weight / hook gap and allows for weedless rigging.
    Thanks Kyle, we used to use a ton of bullet weights when we Bass fished on Ky Lake using purple worms !
    Thanks Kyle, we used to use a ton of bullet weights when we Bass fished on Ky Lake using purple worms !
    Simple is good Kevin!
    troutman57 wrote: »
    I almost never use corks and never use jigs...here is what I do. Since jigheads with good proper gap hooks are hard to find. Since jigheads have the weight as part of the hook giving the trout leverage to throw the hook as it shakes its head. I use 3/0-5/0 straight shanked worm hooks and bullet weights that slide right down to the hook (knocker style or texas style). That is how I fish soft plastics weather beneath a cork or not. If you tie the hook on with a loop knot the bullet weight tends to stay right next to the hook except when the trout shakes his head at the surface. Then it slide freely up the line. This set up allows you to use any combo of weight / hook gap and allows for weedless rigging.

I will have to try this...I never would have thought about the weight of the jighead actually helping the fish to throw the hook, but it makes sense. Plus it seems to be working well for you. :thumbsup