Trolling motor Issue. Minn Kota 12 volt

FlashFlash Posts: 11,144 AG
Have a bow mounted 12 volt that appears to be seized up. Hard to turn the prop using my hand. Appears to have a zinc anode by prop. How do I get this off easily and where do I get replacements since it looks like it might bust apart?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

Replies

• HoltHolt Posts: 971 Officer
    I use a channel lock to turn them by sticking the ends of it on each side of the wings and carefully turning...the nut and everything should turn with it. I broke part of one of the wings doing this though so maybe there is a better way. Spray that nut and shaft with something to break up the corrosion beforehand. If it has never been off it can be tough. I take mine off and clean/lube them at least once a year. You can get replacements here
    http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=12100

That said: If the prop is hard to turn you may need a new troller.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,144 AG
    Holt wrote: »
    I use a channel lock to turn them by sticking the ends of it on each side of the wings and carefully turning...the nut and everything should turn with it. I broke part of one of the wings doing this though so maybe there is a better way. Spray that nut and shaft with something to break up the corrosion beforehand. If it has never been off it can be tough. I take mine off and clean/lube them at least once a year. You can get replacements here
    http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=12100

That said: If the prop is hard to turn you may need a new troller.

Thanks Holt for the link. I am hoping just some fishing line around it, but it seems pretty stiff when I go to try and turn it. Lack of use was main problem and it had been working fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    Here is a better place to get a new one

http://www.minnkota.com.au/about/accessories/general-accessories.html

Think the other guys may not have them anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Here is a better place to get a new one

http://www.minnkota.com.au/about/accessories/general-accessories.html

Think the other guys may not have them anymore.

Not needed. Took it apart since I knew I had power to the plug. All corroded inside. I guess 7 to 8 years of salt will do that to ya.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So the inside of the motor housing was corroded? That's no good. I have had three Riptides and after I sent the first one back(the old black ones) for peeling paint they sent me a brand new white one. It was still good after 7 years on my last boat. New boat has a $$$1200 101# 36v monster. I sure hope it last cause I don't want to be replacing it anytime soon!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    So the inside of the motor housing was corroded? That's no good. I have had three Riptides and after I sent the first one back(the old black ones) for peeling paint they sent me a brand new white one. It was still good after 7 years on my last boat. New boat has a $$$1200 101# 36v monster. I sure hope it last cause I don't want to be replacing it anytime soon!

I just had the 12 v Riptide 55lb thrust. Got a great deal on it, but did not like the speed control. Looking at the 80 thrust 24 volt, but not sure about adding another battery. Not alot of room on those 1720 KW.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]