Yamaha Ring Free Shock Treatment For 50 hp 2 stroke

Spinfisher1Spinfisher1 Posts: 26 Greenhorn
Hello all, I have a 50 hp 2002 2 stroke yamaha outboard. It has about 400 hours on it. I want to do a shock treatment with ring free and my question is this. I have a 19 gal fuel cell and I know the treatment calls for 1 oz ring free per gal of gas......how many gallons of gas do I need to treat and run through for the shock treatment to be effective? Would 12 oz ring free and 12 gallons gas be sufficient? Bottle gives ratio but not anything on how many gallons you need to burn. Any help would be great. Thanks
Only drive into the dock as fast as you want to wreck into the dock

Replies

• reedreed Posts: 322 Officer
    I have the same year yamaha but in a 40hp. What is the ring free shock treatment? Im guessing its an engine treatment of some sort?

Sorry if you got your hopes up and thought someone posted an answer to your question...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Spinfisher1Spinfisher1 Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    It is an engine treatment made by Yamaha added to fuel to clean out deposits in the cylinders and rings. It can be used on a regular basis and also a "shock" treatment. If you do the shock, you may have to change your plugs too.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,260 Officer
    There's a couple of ways to do it. You can put the ring free in a pump bottle and spray it directly into the carbs or use another gas tank and mix it with your gas. If you don't have oil injection you'll have to mix the oil also. Use 1 gallon for a can of ring free.
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,726 Captain
    Another good shock treatment is a can of Seafoam in a gallon of gas. Run it until it smokes a lot, let it sit for about half an hour, and fire it up again. Not a bad idea to do this once or twice a year.
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • slapshotslapshot Posts: 172 Officer
    I use Seafoam also. I mix 1 can in a gallon or so of gas just like Klinger said. I use a small 1 gallon can and not my 80 gallon boat tank for the shock treatments. After I do the treatment, I ALWAYS clean my O2 sensor and change the plugs. If not, it will run like crap. I only do it when the motor starts running bad or I see lots of carbon on the plugs.
  • DunkDunk Posts: 107 Officer
    Klinger wrote: »
    Another good shock treatment is a can of Seafoam in a gallon of gas. Run it until it smokes a lot, let it sit for about half an hour, and fire it up again. Not a bad idea to do this once or twice a year.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-spray.html

Right, Seafoam will kick Ring Free's butt around the block. But on that engine I recommend you spray right down the carb throats. Read the instructions..
    Marine Surveyor
    Thanks everybody.....Slapshot, this leads me to another question....how do you clean an o2 sensor?
    There are 2 ways to clean the O2 sensor. Just take it off the motor and you can 1) soak it in Seafoam/Ring Free for a while or 2) use a torch and burn the carbon off. Most people prefer #1. No matter which one you choose, make sure to soak the housing and little barbell looking thing as well. I have found lots of the carbon and oily gunk sits in there. I can get 2 or 3 cleanings on the same gasket, but keep an eye on it an replace before it starts falling apart.

Here is a link to a Yamaha motor forum, lots of good info there.

http://www.bbcboards.net/zeroforum?id=54
    double post
  • kanakakanaka Posts: 343 Deckhand
    Spin, you sure you have a O2 sensor or just curious???????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Again Slapshot
    I dont know if I do or not......will have to ask my mechanic next time I see him.
  • kanakakanaka Posts: 343 Deckhand
    If your mechanic tells you that you do have one, ya better find another mechanic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]