Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Birth Name/ Legality Issue St. Of Fla/ Help!!!

My wife decided we were going on a cruise. Okay. Got my birth certificate. Okay. The name on my birth certificate is in a different order than my drivers license, SS card number, bank accounts, credit cards, etc. My mother got pissed at my dad when I was two. My first name was the same as my dads. It hasn't been for 56 yrs. What should I do??? Help!!!

Replies

• BodineBodine Posts: 3,020 Captain
    Apply for a passport, in most cases it is better than a birth certificate.
    F the feds
  • plumbbobplumbbob Posts: 791 Officer
    Where? And we're leaving March 17th.
  • alligatoroballigatorob Posts: 197 Officer
    Used to be your congressman could expedite a passport, in a day or so. Might try that.
  • Capt M BrennanCapt M Brennan Posts: 488 Officer
    Having dealt with the buracracy of immigration all over the world including most of all the US Government .. You are in a bind. Don't know if you can wade through all the paperwork and explanations by the 17th, but I'd get started tomorrow ... Best of luck!

Cheers!
    Captain Mike Brennan
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
    This should be a good lesson for all. Americans have a very low percentage of citizens with passports compared to other first world countries. Plus Americans think obtaining one is like getting a drivers license without the test.

How many of these types of posts have we seen over the years? Yet we sit around until the last minute to apply then go crazy when we have to cough up the bucks for and expedited passport.

Get off your lazy **** and get a passport since you never really know when you may need it. They aren't expensive and are valid for years.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Deo Vindice
  • RhettleyRhettley Posts: 1,545 Officer
    You can get them at most Post Offices I believe.
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,737 Captain
    plumbbob wrote: »
    My wife decided we were going on a cruise. Okay. Got my birth certificate. Okay. The name on my birth certificate is in a different order than my drivers license, SS card number, bank accounts, credit cards, etc. My mother got pissed at my dad when I was two. My first name was the same as my dads. It hasn't been for 56 yrs. What should I do??? Help!!!

So you've basically been living under an assumed name for 56 years? I'm not sure what to do about the cruise, but if your name is "wrong" on all the documents and records you listed above, the easiest solution may be to legally change your name to match.
  • RhettleyRhettley Posts: 1,545 Officer
    You have a mess to clean up more than just the trip. I've heard of people being denied medicare benefits, etc., because of this. I'm surprised it hasn't been an issue before.
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,269 Admiral
    In Ga., you can go to Atlanta and get it done in 1 day but it is 800+. Had a friend misplace his just before a trip to Paris. Had to get it quick. Found the old one after they got back.:hairraiser
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • Capt M BrennanCapt M Brennan Posts: 488 Officer
    Everyone should have a current passport. It is a irrefutable international ID. I just got a new Florida drivers license and I guess they've changed the renewal policys. There is a long list of identification requirements.
    Captain Mike Brennan
  • plumbbobplumbbob Posts: 791 Officer
    Right now, the easiest thing to do, is change my drivers license. I will do that Mon. When I get back, I will get everything changed back.
  • BigfootBigfoot Posts: 9,383 Admiral
    plumbbob wrote: »
    Right now, the easiest thing to do, is change my drivers license. I will do that Mon. When I get back, I will get everything changed back.

Good luck, hope it's not too much of a PITA. As they have said, having your Passport up todate/vaild @ all times is good business. I "like" having mine...
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...