Zinc Plated Vs Galvanised

fandangofandango Posts: 69 Deckhand
I'm replacing all of the U bolts on the trailer and I went to ACE and they have "seachoice" Zinc plated U bolts that I need. What's better Zinc Plated or Galvanised???????

Replies

• Carolina FlyCarolina Fly Posts: 66 Deckhand
    Best is stainless steel, next best is hot-dipped galvanized (dull gray and rough), last is zinc plated (shiny and smooth). Hot dipped galvanized is zinc also but much thicker.
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    Yep. YOu'll scratch enough zinc off to render it worthless just installing it. Fell free to put some plastic or rubber to separate the U bolts from the aluminum too.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • Big JohnBig John Posts: 577 Officer
    go into ace and ask them to special order you the stainless u-bolts from land and sea
  • drkpttdrkptt Posts: 1,927 Captain
    Big John wrote: »
    go into ace and ask them to special order you the stainless u-bolts from land and sea

Check McMaster-Carr while you're at it. Get the 316 stainless.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-steel-u-bolts/=gdhg05
  • fandangofandango Posts: 69 Deckhand
    Thank you all that replied, I have bought the hot-dipped galvanized as Carolina Fly recommended. For the money, I think is the best buy.

Please, stay safe.